Horizon's Gardening Topic

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • My banana palm is starting to grow again after the cold of winter, but I need to keep the fleece on it as we're possibly going to have some overnight frost this weekend. I just need to reposition it as the fronds are starting to push up against it.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Keep the fleece on it for now Heero. Even here in London, we might get a bit of frost tonight.

Overall, this week, we've had the worst weather in quite a while. Forget Hurricane Doris, that lasted about 3-4 hours. We've had strong winds here all week and that's blasted everything to bits.

All the nice spring flowers emerging from their bulbs are all leaning over or broken. And just on cue, I have a Magnolia tree that whenever the flowers start to emerge is also the time the April winds and rain come. Well, they're all early and everything blasted too.

I need to give everything a tidy up yet again and if I have something half decent to show, I'll post a few pics in the next week or so.

• Is it a fruit bearing job, Heero?

It does have a fruit but not one that's edible. It's a Musa Basjoo. (Japanese banana) An image search will get you a picture of the palm with fruit.

Mine's not big enough yet and it also needs a long enough period of growth so I don't know if outdoors it will get a chance. My late mother had several in her conservatory and one did produce a fruit.

Yes Horizon, the fleece stays on for the moment though I have repositioned it to allow for some growth. Some places had a frost last night but here on the coast it only went down to 6°C as there is quite an Easterly breeze at the moment.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Very pretty. I have a geranium that I've over-wintered in a tub, just starting to grow now and as it has turned mild I'll be putting that out in our patio garden. I've also taken the fleece off the banana, several new fronds were straining at the leash to get out. I'll just need to keep an eye on the forcasts in case we get a late frost though the risk is low now.

4312-gwban-gif

• Thanks, Heero. We get a stalk borer insect of some sort that lays our geraniums waste. I couldn't grow them in our previous house but so far, over the past twenty years I've managed to get them to bloom where we are now. I love geraniums. Part of my childhood garden memories. My mother grew nasturtiums too. And that old fashioned one now, cannas.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I overwinter a lot of geraniums, or pelargoniums, as we must say now.

I'm not a fan of then myself as I have to put them into the garden, then every late September or October, dig them all up again for storage in the greenhouse. I prefer less work, than more!

We've had a lovely few warm days in London, so I've tidied up my gardens again after all the winds and now making preparations for seeds. It's a bad day today, so taking a break from the garden. Although just as I write this, the sun is starting to appear.

• I am so used to calling them geraniums I think I'll just keep on doing so.

Autumn is making its presence felt here by the departure of the storms and the return of wall to wall blue sky. The trees are going golden and it's delightfully neither too warm nor too cool. That won't last long before we are freezing, but this is always a rather magical time and so is early Spring.

Already I have winter's muesli under the stinkwood tree. Some gold and green on top and mulch underfoot.

winterleaves.jpg

• Strange. I never imagined creating a gardening thread, that it would be an international one!

It's quite bizarre because as Spring gets into full gear here and the garden come to life, it's the opposite for you.

It will be nice for me here because as it gets cold and dreary towards the end of the year, at your end things will be coming back to life.

• Started off some seeds this afternoon but things didn't go quite to plan... I got two new propagators, and one of them is broke. I hope I can get a replacement as I've chucked away the packaging for it and it came in December.

Anyway, with the remaining propagator I am testing it with Marigold seeds collected from my garden last year. They've cost me nothing and I am using toilet rolls cut in half as my plant pots and stick them in seed trays. I've used those coir/peat pot things in the past with mixed results, so loo rolls cost me nothing! Marigolds are easy to grow and hopefully they come out quickly, we have a hot day in London tomorrow which will help. If the Marigolds work, I will grow more, then go onto other things I would never grow from seed previously like Busy Lizzies and Penstemons.

I am envious of Heero's banana plant and might give that a try as London weather is milder than most parts of the country, but I might get overruled, so we'll see on that.

Oh, and just to add to the fun, my camera broke just as I was about to take pics of my garden for this site. I've got a older camera and took some pics, but as I said before, everything got blasted by the winds. I'll upload some pics in the next day or so and try and make them look as good as possible considering the camera is old and everything is looking messy and broken...

• Our garden looks like a bomb hit it after a long drought and the felling of two very big branches off a huge thorn tree. Please post pics of your garden. It doesn't matter what it looks like. People who love nature don't care what it looks like, everything's interesting. Picky gardeners can be a bit snooty, but nature lovers just want to see what's going on in your little life-world. :)

• Here's a couple of shots of our patio garden at the back of the house. First has the shooting banana palms on the left and the Jelly Palm next to them, taken from an upper room, second is the rather large Canary Island palm that I'm thinking of trying to move to the much larger side garden. Patio and furniture need a power wash as winter algae has grown and stained them. The two objects on the table are solar powered rocks. I have some more to go out once the batteries are charged and the contacts inside cleaned up.

Photo0254_s.jpg

Photo0255_s.jpg

4312-gwban-gif

• I'm especially envious of your Banana plant. That and the other Palm, really give it a exotic look. I have a Fatsia, so that's my most exotic thing!

How close to the coast actually are you, Heero?

I know those on the coast never get any frost, but I'm guessing you must at least a few miles in if frost could be a issue for you.

On jet washing, what jet washer do you have? I have a £60 Black & Decker module from B&Q and it is crap. Does a mm at a time and takes ages. All my patios are looking awful. Well, they are old, but they're dirty too and I need to get a new jet washer.

• I'm especially envious of your Banana plant. That and the other Palm, really give it a exotic look. I have a Fatsia, so that's my most exotic thing!

Thanks. There's also a passion vine trained up the South facing wall below the slate roof in the forground of the photos combined with trailing nasturtians that self seed each year to give a great mixture of colours. The garden being south facing and protected by the terraced houses North and East is a real sun trap where it's not shaded by that big palm.

How close to the coast actually are you, Heero?

I know those on the coast never get any frost, but I'm guessing you must at least a few miles in if frost could be a issue for you.

We're about two miles inland and have the South Downs to the back of us, they tend to cut off the worst of the cold when the wind is in the NE. Coldest this winter was -3°C and only once. Quite a few very white frosts but the temperature was still positive. Back in the early 80's we had a couple of very cold winters and the sea was freezing onto the groynes on the beach. Those years I did see a -12°C but that was exceptional.

On jet washing, what jet washer do you have? I have a £60 Black & Decker module from B&Q and it is crap. Does a mm at a time and takes ages. All my patios are looking awful. Well, they are old, but they're dirty too and I need to get a new jet washer.

It's a KÄRCHER K090. Quite compact but gives a good jet @ 80 bar pressure. I find that having the fan jet at 4-6" wide cleans most things but narrower (closer) is needed for the stubborn stuff. The patio furniture is quite old and the sun has made the surfaces grainy so the algae gets rather well attached so they take some time to get really clean. Still on a nice hot day in shorts and T-Shirt the job just rolls by.

4312-gwban-gif

• Thanks. There's also a passion vine trained up the South facing wall below the slate roof in the forground of the photos combined with trailing nasturtians that self seed each year to give a great mixture of colours. The garden being south facing and protected by the terraced houses North and East is a real sun trap where it's not shaded by that big palm.

My mum loves nasturtians and we used to have a lot in our garden, but they've all gone.... I did have a Passion flower a few years ago, but that went too. Looked VERY nice.

We're about two miles inland and have the South Downs to the back of us, they tend to cut off the worst of the cold when the wind is in the NE. Coldest this winter was -3°C and only once. Quite a few very white frosts but the temperature was still positive. Back in the early 80's we had a couple of very cold winters and the sea was freezing onto the groynes on the beach. Those years I did see a -12°C but that was exceptional.

I am genuinely surprised. I guess its one of those things I read somewhere and misunderstood, but I never thought the coast got any frost, ever at all. You say the sea froze? Wow, that's definitely a "bit" frosty.

It's a KÄRCHER K090. Quite compact but gives a good jet @ 80 bar pressure. I find that having the fan jet at 4-6" wide cleans most things but narrower (closer) is needed for the stubborn stuff. The patio furniture is quite old and the sun has made the surfaces grainy so the algae gets rather well attached so they take some time to get really clean. Still on a nice hot day in shorts and T-Shirt the job just rolls by.

Thanks. I hate doing it. I have some 80s style "moon boots" that I wear when jet washing which keeps my feet nice and dry. Looks a right sight in the middle of spring or summer, whenever I do it. :eek:

• Here's picture I took during one of the cold snaps:

WINTER_0_s.JPG

Wasn't the actual sea that froze but the sea water that splashed up at the groyne and pipe in the foreground.

4312-gwban-gif

• Bloody hell!

I can't for the life of me understand why I have always thought that the coast doesn't freeze. As your pic shows, it does.

I may move to the coast one day (perhaps that day may come sooner than I expect...) and one of the reasons was, barely in mind that I like gardening, was that I didn't think the coast ever got frost, thus the plants were always protected. Clearly not!

Heero, can I just ask, what steps did you take to upload the photo? I'm not happy how this site handles photos, but that looks just fine to me!

• Heero - your palm looks like mine. Is it a Canary Island job? If so, it's going to rise up like the phoenix.

I grew mine from a seed the birds thoughtfully dropped in our old garden. I potted it and brought it to our new house and planted it. After 25 years, she has become a monster and she is only half the size she can get to. :eek:

First they look like this

canarypalm1.jpg

Then they become baby giants like this

canarypalm2jpg.jpg

I can't reach her to cut her dead fronds any more. Even an ordinary ladder is too short. There are sharp stiff spines on each frond just before the more feathery looking part. Mr Wing got one of these through his hand when he was pruning her once. He literally staggered into the chemist saying, "Help, I've been stabbed by a palm tree!"

She has also stabbed the handyman who tried his luck at pruning her. She's a monster. She has rock pigeons nesting in her hair.

canarypalm3jpg.jpg

The bees love her flowers and when she is in full swing it sounds like a congregation of Buddhist Monks chanting up there with a loud, "Mmmmmmmm" noise as the bees worship at her pollen heavy shrine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!