Horizon's Gardening Topic

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Horizon, I think the site handles the uploads fine. I resized the picture to 800x520 odd, helps keep the filesize down a bit as it's from my hi-rez scanned in photolibrary (4,000 odd prints taken with my trusty 35mm Nikon FT2 and a selection of lenses) Selected the attach icon and then upload from my computer. Browsed to the file and then selected it to upload. I then inserted at "full size" Process seemed pretty painless. I noted what your VB guy said about not inserting image links to sites that are only http.

Little Wing, Yes it's one of those. Yours looks magnificent. I bought it at the local garden centre to complement the other exotics as it said it was hardy to -10C. At that time I hadn't seen any in the UK, they are now quite common on the coast here and down in Cornwall. If I'd known how big they can get I'd have put it in the side garden instead. Those short spines near the main stem take no prisoners so I trim them with secateurs. Still got me several times and drew blood. Another exotic I have is a Mediterranian Hibiscus with huge red flowers. Saw these growing on Cyprus as hedges. That comes indoors a soon as the temperatures drop below +10C at night as it's super tender. I'd love to grow a Flame Tree Delonix regia I saw some in Egypt a few years ago but I guess the only way would be in a big tub and bring inside for the winter.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Yes, the Canary Palms are incredibly hardy. Ours hardly blinks through both droughts and frosts.

I now have a Chinese loquat tree in a pot. The grey lourie birds dropped the pips of the loquat fruit under my washline and I potted 2 of them. Up came some wonderful glossy leaved pants. It's evergreen so I need to find somewhere to plant it out it as it has now got to the stage where it wants to be a big loquat. We used to eat the fruit when I was a child as almost every garden had a loquat tree in it.

loquat.jpg

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Horizon, I think the site handles the uploads fine. I resized the picture to 800x520 odd, helps keep the filesize down a bit as it's from my hi-rez scanned in photolibrary (4,000 odd prints taken with my trusty 35mm Nikon FT2 and a selection of lenses) Selected the attach icon and then upload from my computer. Browsed to the file and then selected it to upload. I then inserted at "full size" Process seemed pretty painless. I noted what your VB guy said about not inserting image links to sites that are only http.

Little Wing, Yes it's one of those. Yours looks magnificent. I bought it at the local garden centre to complement the other exotics as it said it was hardy to -10C. At that time I hadn't seen any in the UK, they are now quite common on the coast here and down in Cornwall. If I'd known how big they can get I'd have put it in the side garden instead. Those short spines near the main stem take no prisoners so I trim them with secateurs. Still got me several times and drew blood. Another exotic I have is a Mediterranian Hibiscus with huge red flowers. Saw these growing on Cyprus as hedges. That comes indoors a soon as the temperatures drop below +10C at night as it's super tender. I'd love to grow a Flame Tree Delonix regia I saw some in Egypt a few years ago but I guess the only way would be in a big tub and bring inside for the winter.

Thanks Heero for the comments about the picture uploading, I'm struggling myself with it all, but will try to upload some photos of my Spring garden soon.

I got one of those Hibiscus' too a few summers ago, but it didn't last the season. Shame it was very nice.

• Quick update on my garden.

The daffodils are coming to an end now, but the forget-me-nots are in full blast bloom. As said, I will try to post some pics, although my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened by the difficulties of posting pics here.

Had a few unpleasant surprises over the past month....As I've said before, I try to protect my garden from the critters' damage, by putting up canes and netting. I discovered to my horror, at the back of my garden a dead fox which had got itself caught up in the netting and carried some of it with it. I was picking up what I thought was all its carcass, it must have died months ago, when I eventually found its head and could see it had got its neck caught in the netting and strangled itself. What a awful and painful way to go, I felt sick as it was all my fault. I removed all the netting immediately. Sod the plants, I'm not going to kill creatures just to have nice looking displays.

The other shock was a few days ago and this happens frequently, especially at this time of the year. I could hear the blackbirds going berserk, which means only one thing. I went out into my back garden and just as I did, a cat's head emerged from about 6ft up in the ivy on my garage, just where the blackbirds nest is. The cat looked at me as if to say "what the fuck are you looking at," jumped down, then calmly walked off, even though I was clapping and trying to shoo it away quickly

Just to add to my "good" mood, I got two propagators as Christmas presents and I began sowing seeds about 10 days ago and bingo, I am getting a load of marigolds coming up. But I have found the "thermostatically" controlled propagators are nothing of the sort. They're meant to stay at between 18-23 degrees. One went down to 14 degrees at night and the other during the nice warm day on Sunday, went up to 43 degrees... Useless.

On a positive note, a couple of Sunday's ago, I went to a garden centre and had a little "splurge" and picked up several new shrubs and plants. Because of the constant damage done to my gardens from all the cats, foxes and other creatures, I do tend to renew quite a lot of stuff in my garden quite often.. a little too often. So, I've got some work to do when the weather warms up a bit, which right at the moment is dipping again.

Oh, did I mention the Sweet Peas? Because it was so hot, I planted sweet peas out. Got them from the garden centre along with a new large pot to stick them in. Did some trellis stuff around them, which took ages, but they're all good to go just as the temperature is dropping again!

• Looks like my Canary island palm is going to flower. First time.

My indoor amaryllis are starting to flower will post some images once they're more out.

Horizon, Cats are an ever present threat here.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Looks like my Canary island palm is going to flower. First time.

My indoor amaryllis are starting to flower will post some images once they're more out.

Horizon, Cats are an ever present threat here.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your flowering palm and amaryllis, if you are able.

In my back garden, I placed one of those sonic cat repellent devices which I got as a Christmas present. After the cat attack on the blackbirds nest, you can draw you're own conclusion about its effectiveness...

• I sympathise about the bloody cats, H. We have wall spikes and they get through those, get over the roof, slither through teeny gaps ... kill every baby bird they can get their claws into, murder lizards and gekkos and crap everywhere.

Looking forward to Heero's pics of his flowering palm.

• A google image search on spathe lily flowers comes up Spathiphyllum Wallisii Peace Lily.

4312-gwban-gif

• Heero, But how did you know to search for "spathe" lily flower?

My late mother was a keen gardener and she had some lilys in her conservatory and told me that's what this type of flower is called. The Spathe is actualy the surrounding white bit, it's a modified leaf, the central part that carries the pollen is called a Spadix.

4312-gwban-gif

• Yes, that's her, Heero, thanks. :) The caterpillars chew the heck out of her leaves as you can see so I'm pleased she flowered this year.

I also have a Frangipani. Mr Wing found a discarded branch on the local garden waste dump when he went to get rid of some stuff and brought it home. I potted it and it's flowering well. Needs to be planted out now. I couldn't grow them when we first moved here before our trees grew big enough to stop ferocious frost. My Frangis all went black. The frost also killed my lovely golden moon hibiscus. I think it was called something like this. I would love to try another one.

fp.jpg

• My late mother was a keen gardener and she had some lilys in her conservatory and told me that's what this type of flower is called. The Spathe is actualy the surrounding white bit, it's a modified leaf, the central part that carries the pollen is called a Spadix.

Interesting. Thanks! I've got some cut lillies, but I'll post a pic if the bloody thing works.

LW, Never heard of Frangipani. Sounds like Italian pasta! One of the many benefits of having you here, is that as you are in South Africa, there are many, many plants I will not of heard of.

• Frangis are tropical. I'm lucky they grow where I am. My mother came from tropical KwaZulu/Natal province so she had stacks of them when she was young. Lovely, sweet smelling flowers. Like Elven cologne. :)

• Ok, still haven't got round to uploading my pics of my Spring gardens yet, but here's some pics of somewhere better and somewhere where I've spent a lot of time over the past six months...

Today was the warmest day of the year, the perfect temperature for me at around 24 degrees, any warmer and it would've been too uncomfortable.. Spring blossom was out on many of the trees, and best of all, it was quiet! I hope you enjoy these and don't find them too morbid...:

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

• Nice pictures H. As LW says so well maintained.

Here's a picture of my Amyrillis Lily flowers, not completely out yet. Variety is "Red Lion". The bloom in the forground and the un-opened bud are both from the same bulb. Not seen that happen before.

Photo0256_s.jpg
    The small leafy plant is a Bougainvillea. It's a tropical climbing vine so it is grown as a houseplant.

4312-gwban-gif

• How gorgeous! I've tried growing the amaryllis, but the lily borers destroyed them. We had a beautiful cerise coloured bougainvillea and the flipping termites ate that, as well as our wisteria. Chomped it off at the stem. Frost killed my passion fruit vine and something of unknown origin killed my entire herb garden. :(

I'm going to have to start again.

• How gorgeous! I've tried growing the amaryllis, but the lily borers destroyed them. We had a beautiful cerise coloured bougainvillea and the flipping termites ate that, as well as our wisteria. Chomped it off at the stem. Frost killed my passion fruit vine and something of unknown origin killed my entire herb garden. :(

I'm going to have to start again.

Sounds like you have serious pest problems. With our moist climate we have legions of slugs and snails to deal with. I can't grow marigolds in the flower beds unless I go out every night and pick off the pests. My nasturtians get attacked by cabbage white caterpillars but they're easily dealt with. The passion vine is the more hardy type so frost rarely touches it and as it self seeds there's always fresh stems to train up as some of the older ones die.

I've inherited some other coloured Amyrillis (white, pink and red.white) from my late mother but they'll need building up as erratic watering has made the bulbs shrink. Peeling off all the dead material and re-potting in fresh compost should do the trick.

4312-gwban-gif

• Do you use slug pellets Heero, or is that a no-no for you?

Nice Amyrillis Heero. I'll add that to my shopping list, already intend to get a banana plant in the future, if I can find a way to sneak it in! I reckon I'll have a easier task of getting the Amyrillis approved than a banana plant. ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!