Horizon's Gardening Topic

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • I've not grown any veg, but my plants are struggling too. Perhaps it was the very hot weather that we had earlier in the year during lockdown, that might have caused nature to get a bit confused.:/

Noticed far less snails than usual too.

Out in my garden today and mowed and edged both lawns and general tidy up. Although the plants I got from Homebase a few months ago has helped, my gardens are still lacking that big splash of summer colour that you would expect at this time of year.

• Noticed far less snails than usual too.

One drop of rain and they all appear. Our resident hedgehog/hedgehogs seem unable to crack their shells, they like slugs and Mr Thrush hasn't been around

• I've not grown any veg, but my plants are struggling too. Perhaps it was the very hot weather that we had earlier in the year during lockdown, that might have caused nature to get a bit confused.:/

Noticed far less snails than usual too.

Out in my garden today and mowed and edged both lawns and general tidy up. Although the plants I got from Homebase a few months ago has helped, my gardens are still lacking that big splash of summer colour that you would expect at this time of year.

It's the unseasonal heat and lack of rain. This is not a good growing year, unless you are into grapes!

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Pottering about in the patio garden this afternoon and found three passion vine seedlings growing. My sister wants one for the front of her house so I've carefully uprooted them and potted up in some compost with a support stick. If they survive I'll get some extra brownie points.^^

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Pottering about in the patio garden this afternoon and found three passion vine seedlings growing. My sister wants one for the front of her house so I've carefully uprooted them and potted up in some compost with a support stick. If they survive I'll get some extra brownie points.^^

Have they seeded from a plant of yours or blown in on the wind?

• Have they seeded from a plant of yours or blown in on the wind?

I think that two of them are from fruits off my own one. The third one is some distance away so I don't really know.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I've got a banana palm in a pot that came from my mothers conservatory. It's been in the same (cramped) pot for as long as I can remember so now I've planted it out in the raised bed on the patio garden. It'll be much happier like this.

4312-gwban-gif

• I've got a banana palm in a pot that came from my mothers conservatory. It's been in the same (cramped) pot for as long as I can remember so now I've planted it out in the raised bed on the patio garden. It'll be much happier like this.

Does it fruit?

• None of them so far have been fertilised. One produced a female body a year or two ago but it didn't get any further. They're the Japanese banana ( Musa Basjoo ) so the fruit even if fertilised is not edible.

4312-gwban-gif

• As said on the weather thread today, I'm finally getting lots of rain now and my garden is enjoying every drop of it and I've also made a start on the changeover to the autumn/winter/spring season too, by clearing out some summer plants that have already finished and cleaning up the pots. Did this on Thursday, rather wet today!

I got my order for new season's plants in quick, I didn't want to miss out on not having any bedding plants again. This is the first year ever my garden has never had any bedding plants in it or hanging baskets. Many might scoff at using bedding plants, but I consider them an absolute essential and despite what many plant labels say, bedding begonias and busy lizzies can be shoved in anywhere including deep shade and are great for filling in gaps where needed too. Lots more to do, but the rain has stopped the gardening for now.

• My begonias, that are now on their third year, are doing well. Saved having to try and get more. A new crop of nasturtiums are coming up from seed so more flowers shortly.

Banana palms are loving the heat. You can almost see them growing.

I still have some tarragon in the herb planter so I've also sewn some more coriander seed plus a potted curly leafed parsley from the supermarket. Now if only I can keep the snails off it. :cursing:

4312-gwban-gif

• I still have plans to a raid on that banana plant....:evil::whistling::whistling: Still love nasturtiums. Haven't had any in my garden since this site started now, not sure why.:/

Although I said my garden was bedding plant free this year, in fact due to the very mild winter I got, there were a few dozen that survived from last year and very nice they have been too.

I managed to get mint from my one and only plant shopping session at Homebase earlier this year, but don't have any other fresh herbs though. Like parsley and rather partial to chives too, but hate coriander with a passion. I tried to get some lemon type herb from Homebase (use it for sensory stuff with my mum) but they didn't have any, so we made do with just the mint.

• Just completed a mega two day gardening marathon ahead of a load of rain which is expected to last for at least a week. It was very windy, but also very warm. Really very pleasant temperatures for what I had to do.

I had to stop all gardening by last August due to my caring responsibilities and thus there was tons of mess from last year that needed to be dealt with. I'll post some pics once I've recovered of it. But at least I've got things to manageable levels now and can continue with this year's gardening. In a way, it was good that the lockdown happened as I was unable to get a the usual load of summer plants this year. I simply would not have had time to plant up hanging baskets and dig out a load of beds this year.

Anyway, I've prepped some planters ready for a load of bedding plants which I am expecting to come soon from Gardening Direct and am plotting about bulbs now. I got my plant order in early, just in case of another lockdown.:)

Oh, as of Wednesday 7.05am, I became an uncle.8) Been a Very busy week, not that there's ever a quiet week!^^

• Here's a few shots of the carnage in my garden from Friday. As you can see, I have the lawn covered with pots:

P1830880_autoscaled.jpgP1830882_autoscaled.jpg

One of the things I am doing is re-potting all existing planters into new mostly larger ones and am lining them all with fleece to keep the water in and stop the soil draining all over the patios:

P1830883_autoscaled.jpg

This will be my fuchsia area when complete, yes I know the planters are shity, but its the best I could get for a cheap price:

P1830886_autoscaled.jpg

Last shot looking back towards my house:

P1830890_autoscaled.jpg

• Normally I tend to post pics of the garden when I've finished gardening, which is counter to what a gardening thread is all about, so you got mess instead = and the washing.^^ And thanks for the compliment about the lawn, it got watered a lot - an awful lot.

I did more today, which was unexpected, as it was meant to rain, but apart from a few drops, it was very nice. And what I'm doing is still not the actual gardening, that's still to come and my front garden really needs a good going over too, as it's been neglected, but unlike at this time last year, I hope to get it all done.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!