Horizon's Gardening Topic

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • It's going to be a mammoth job. The jasmine creeper went ballistic and is everywhere in the old beds. Tripping over vines everywhere. She's going to have to go :evil:

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Today cut off my Silver Vase bromeliad flower, after several months of her stoic presence. She came from Mr Wing's mother's patio in a pot and we inherited her when the old folks went to Australia. There she waited, looking drab and terrible and I was convinced she was going to die. But she hung on, through the seasons, never changing.

When we finished the paving deck under the hackberry tree we moved her and some others over there and my Silver Vase bromeliad was rained on. One morning soon after, we were stunned to see a beautiful bloom rising from her tattered leaves. She folded out over weeks into a magnificent pink spiky petalled job with pale purple buds within the main corolla. Stunning. My camera wasn't working, so here she is on Wikipedia.

Today I finally cut off the old bloom and there are new daughter plants coming up from the mother stem. I'm hoping for a group of these in the coming years.

Silver Vase bromeliad

Edited once, last by Little Wing: typo ().

• Found a tiny germinated Acacia Caffra in the garden under the mother tree, so scooped it up for a bonsai. It's now in a small training pot and after a few days of challenging stormy weather it has endured and put out a new leaf.

I also have an apple tree in training for a bonsai.

Would love to get an oak. There is someone with an oak tree in my area as the wind sometimes brings in oak leaves and I have found a cap from an acorn in the garden but so far no actual acorn has been dropped and germinated. Here's hoping ...

Have my eye on a Chinese maple as well. Have one in the garden dropping stacks of seeds. Will look out for a germination.

• Would love to get an oak. There is someone with an oak tree in my area as the wind sometimes brings in oak leaves and I have found a cap from an acorn in the garden but so far no actual acorn has been dropped and germinated. Here's hoping ...

I wish I could send you some of "my" oak trees. When I say they're mine, they were actually planted by the squirrel. A neighbour feeds the squirels and they plants the nuts all over my garden which is far too small for one oak tree, let alone several which is what I currently have.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• One of the neighbours over the back from me gives handfuls of acorns to the squirrels everyday. They might eat one or two of them and then the rest of the nuts head my way....They don't choose areas where there are no plants and bare earth, that would be considerate, oh no, they choose my planters filled with winter/spring plants instead. X/

I like the little felllows, but they do try my patience.

• I'll let you know if an oak tree sprouts in our garden. You never know. An acorn might get dropped. Everything else is sprouting all over the place, so there's a slim chance.

• The day finally arrived when the privet king had to go. It had grown enormous, had a root system that reached to Australia and was causing trouble with its zillions of progeny. So we got someone to come and fell it. Then Alfred and Mr Wing began digging the regent out of his throne. So far a two day job and he's still attached. Maybe by tomorrow he can be pulled over with a block and tackle.

privet.jpg

• Wow! That's some privet tree.

I spent a couple of hours this morning reducing the yew in the front garden to something more like the bush I want it to be. The main stem was over 3" across and took some sawing.

Keep thinking I need to get a sawzall for dealing with thick branches. Lidl have them in now and then in the centre aisle.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Mr Wing has two chainsaws. Today he used an old one that belonged to his Dad to cut through the privet's roots.

• I like power tools but I'll pass on a chainsaw. =O

Judging by the trunks in your picture I guess the roots are of a similar dimension.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Yes, the roots are hefty. I counted eleven rings on one of them. If they can get the stump out in one piece, I want to carve it.

• Snap LW! :) Check out my posts from earlier in the year, I've been having a project too which looks pretty much identical to yours.

Wow! That's some privet tree.

I spent a couple of hours this morning reducing the yew in the front garden to something more like the bush I want it to be. The main stem was over 3" across and took some sawing.

Keep thinking I need to get a sawzall for dealing with thick branches. Lidl have them in now and then in the centre aisle.

Erbauer ERS1100 1100W Electric Reciprocating Saw 220-240V (405FX)

I got one of the above, in fact been through two of them and like you, I'm not brave enough for a chain saw either. Pruning branches is not worth losing a limb over.

• Found your posts and pics, H. Yes, very similar. Our privet grew next to a rainwater discharge pipe and so just ballooned.

Mr Wing won't allow me near his chainsaw. I have been given a small bladed tool like the ones Heero mentioned yesterday to prune with. I tried to get him to buy me a small hand chain saw, but no go. :(

There is an errant fig tree next to the privet that also has to come out. It's a male tree and so has no edible fruit and the small male fruits drop everywhere and the tree is blocking the light from a thorny creeper I am trying to cultivate over the wall to stop the neighbour's cat from getting in. Mr Wing promised to fell the fig, so I'm hoping he won't dodge. If he doesn't fell it I will withhold Christmas dinner.

• That's a massive space to fill there LW. Well done.

Found your posts and pics, H. Yes, very similar. Our privet grew next to a rainwater discharge pipe and so just ballooned.

Yes, strange how we emabarked on similar projects in the same year. Did your neighbours make complaints about your trees, like my "charming" ones did?

Mr Wing won't allow me near his chainsaw. I have been given a small bladed tool like the ones Heero mentioned yesterday to prune with. I tried to get him to buy me a small hand chain saw, but no go.

Good! :)

I'm not sexist or old fashioned, but I kind of am on some things.

There is an errant fig tree next to the privet that also has to come out. It's a male tree and so has no edible fruit and the small male fruits drop everywhere and the tree is blocking the light from a thorny creeper I am trying to cultivate over the wall to stop the neighbour's cat from getting in. Mr Wing promised to fell the fig, so I'm hoping he won't dodge. If he doesn't fell it I will withhold Christmas dinner.

^^

You could plant a female fig, but if it's blocking light, then that seems sensible.

How many trees do you have?

• I did a load of gardening today. Yes, really at this time of year. :S

I cleared a load of euonymus in the centre left of my garden as it was about 9ft tall and I want at least one little cherry or rowan to go there instead.

• H, yes, the neighbours did complain, especially about the fig as it drops hard little male fig fruits on their swimming pool pump dome. Mr Wing ignored them. Now they get a crew round every now and then and shave the trees on the border so they are basically half trees, one wonderful fluffy side on our side and a butchered flat piece on theirs. Their garden looks like a cement bin. But I have wanted to be rid of the privet and fig for years as they weren't put there by us and just sprang up from dropped seed. I had a lot to do and didn't notice as they shot up. I did say that if they gave their annoying crapping bird killing cat away we might cooperate but they didn't.

Well, that is one down and one to go. I know Mr Wing is having second thoughts about his promise to get rid of Mr Fig, but if he doesn't I am going to go into action. I know where he keeps his chain saws :evil: Re your question about trees: We have lots. I think I once put photos on this thread up of them. Everyone else is felling everything in this new minimalist tree hating fad. The birds and all other life in the green have less and less places to live X(

Good news is our wonder lawn is sprouting among the path stones and a few of the ginger roots we planted have decided to pop little pike heads up above the soil. Coiled leaves ending in a sharp point so far, but they are coming up.

Grass is growing where we laid instant lawn and flower seeds are appearing to germinate. Grass seed areas are also sprouting.

We saw Alfred off to Zimbabwe on leave yesterday, so here's hoping he gets back in one piece with his young son after New Year. His parting words were: "Go to Zimbabwe once and you'll never want to go there again."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!