Horizon's Gardening Topic

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Good news is our wonder lawn is sprouting among the path stones and a few of the ginger roots we planted have decided to pop little pike heads up above the soil. Coiled leaves ending in a sharp point so far, but they are coming up.

Grass is growing where we laid instant lawn and flower seeds are appearing to germinate. Grass seed areas are also sprouting.

You are having grass after all??

When we last spoke this you were going to pave over the entire grass area, what changed your mind LW? I know you said water was a major issue and that was the reason that the grass had to go.

As for neighbours, hmmm....don't you love them? ;)

I can't remember if you were around when my new batches of neighbours moved in, it was 2019. I have Nigerians one side of me, who I share the driveway with and they're fine, but house is attached to The Others. They're not fine.

I originally had absolute scum next to me, but the main one died and his son, the owner of the house, eventually moved away, but he still owns the house and letted it out to a load of new scumbags. X/

All during lockdown in 2020, my mum and I were trying to enjoy our garden (the last time she was at least a little bit with it) and we were hearing constant fking this and c**ts nonstop coming from them. It wasn't directed at us, it's how they speak to each other, but there was eight of them at the time and along with loud music, it was hell.

Anyway, fast forward to this year and they complained that my yew trees were too high on the border between us (they were) and could I prune them, which I tried to do.

I couldn't get to the trees as I had a 2-3m deep border in front of them filled with shrubs, so in the end I got rid of the shrubs so I could get close to the trees. Once the shrubs were gone, I could see all the messy ivy on my small fence on the border with them, so that went too and in the end, I decided to completely redo my garden. To top it off, they later complained again, that I was invading their privacy as it was all open between us, so you just can't please some people.

So, yes, leaves in a pool is minor and it's a shame the tree had to go because of it, but if you were looking at getting rid of it anyway, then it's not so bad.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The worst of it is behind us, hopefully. I don't think anything will beat having an ex-con psycho next to us.

• Sowed some viola seeds and petunias. I love petunias. I hope they germinate. The seed packets are quite old, so here's hoping.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Has anyone tried freezing seed, as that's supposedly a way to preserve them?

• Interesting! I'll try it if I have seed left over. It's amazing how seed can lie in the ground for yonks, covered by something else and the first chance it gets it comes up. Our garden is full of long lost plants this year on account of the rain. Coming up all over the place.

• You have to put the seed in something like a paper bag to begin with and then get all the air out of it and then put it in a sealed plastic container, or something like that.

• Pouring at the moment.

I haven't seen moss on the shady side of the trees like I have this season. Personally, I love moss. My mother used to call it the faeries' bowling greens.

moss2.jpg

• I don't think I've ever seen moss on trees before. Will the tree be okay covered in all that stuff?

• Yes, there's moss everywhere, including between our paving stones at the mo :)

I'm surprised you haven't seen moss on trunks in the UK with all that rain and moisture!

• Yes, there's moss everywhere, including between our paving stones at the mo :)

I'm surprised you haven't seen moss on trunks in the UK with all that rain and moisture!

We don’t have the heat that you have, though, Little Wing! I think it is the warmth and moisture together that does it!

• Maybe, but it's been super cool with the rain. The moss dies off in winter and when summer comes and it rains, back it comes.

Not on trees in mr garden or trees planted in the street I haven't. And it's been such a long time since I've been to a park, I don't recall whether there was moss on trees or not. I don't ever recall seeing any though.

• Been out in my garden today doing some cleaning up. Lovely and sunny, just cold, but been pottering around doing weeding and other things.

My spring bulbs are coming though now. I wasn't sure whether I was going to get any bulbs this year, as I never got the time to get new ones, so these ones coming through now are ones I bought in 2019, so here's hoping they don't come up blind.

• We don’t have the heat that you have, though, Little Wing! I think it is the warmth and moisture together that does it!

Ah yes and there's that! I forgot about the heat that LW gets. We kinda get a summer, sometimes. :)

• That's interesting LW and I see it's by water. Whenever I get a chance to head out into the wilderness in the future, I will seek out moss. :) But as I said, I've never seen that in parks or anywhere else that I can recall.

Probably need to go to Wales if I want to see damp trees. ^^

• I have tons of it LW. All over my house roof and on my conservatery roof, just never seen it on trees.

When I was a kid, I used to make little mini villages out of it and stick my lego men on top of it! :)

• A garden has its bug controllers and various bio diverse maintenance crews and this morning I saw this in action. I walked past the parrots' aviary and found a social spider had decided to begin a large colony web between the aviary and the delicious monster plant. Bugger. This was going to be nuisance. I resolved to wind the lady in on a stick and cause her to go elsewhere.

I got distracted and a while later heard a scuffle going on outside my study window. I looked out to see a bul-bul bird demolishing the web and picking off the spiders. Flew in and took them while hovering. Quite a feat of aerobatics. Breakfast and nest silk all in one go. The web is now gone. :)

common bul bul

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!