Horizon's Gardening Topic

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Just been out tending to the banana palms. The frost had caused the exposed fronds to collapse so I've now cut them short (about 8") where they're still solid and put a thick layer of fleece over the crowns. The new leaves in the centres look fine but I still had to trim them to get the fleece on properly. Also put an extra layer around the trunks as well.

Forecast is for a relatively mild week.

• I'm happy to report that my winter/spring bedding plants that I planted in the Autumn are springing back to life. And unlike the fiasco of last year in trying to get plants for summer, I haven't wasted any time this year. I placed a order with Gardening Direct for a whole load of bedding begonias and busy lizzies to fill up the borders, some pots and the dark, difficult spots.

I'm not sure about what kind of time I'm going to have on my hands this year, so I'm holding off getting my usual batch of plants for the hanging baskets and remainder of the pots, but I'm sure at least some petunias will be heading my way at some point.

I'll take a pic of one of the planters tomorrow, it's looking half decent. It has wallflowers in the middle and primroses on the outside.

• Nice and sunny today and although the ground was wet, I decided time for gardening! :)

Gave my front garden a overall. Mowed and edged the lawn, tided up a bit. Cleared some winter debris away, but as there are still some cold days ahead, I didn't over do it and dead headed the winter/spring plants.

I promised the other day a shot of the planter with my primroses in it, so here it is, along with a arty shot of another planter in the full low level sun and a few shots of my front garden too, although none of the spring plants have come out yet:

P1840359.jpg

P1840361.jpg

P1840348.jpg

P1840349.jpg

And a bonus shot taken from my driveway of the flowering quince (chaenomeles);

P1840367.jpg

And this too, but unfortunately the neighbourhood cats have pooed and dug up all my other ones and this was the only one I could find:

P1840352.jpg

• Lovely weather today in my area, warm and sunny and as I have some spare time, that means only one thing - gardening! :)

My front garden had the attention a few weeks ago, so this time around it was the back. I've mowed the lawn, half sorted out the edges, although more needs to be done, bit of tidying and sweeping and then moving my spring planters into prime positions. Despite the squirrel's best efforts at biting off the tops of my emerging bulbs, a lot have survived (so far) so should produce a nice display.

• Talking of buds, my hyacinths are sprouting and I see buds on some of the dafs too. :)

Had quite a busy day over the last week in my garden due to the very nice weather. I've attacked the ivy on my garage again, but this time I've severed all the main stems and I'll either take it right down to the stumps and then let it regrow, or even remove it completely. I did a test last Autumn when I cut one of the clumps of ivy right back to its stump and I got a new shoot grow that's now 6ft, so I know that unless I kill it completely, it will regrow.

I've also been at the largest Yew tree on the left hand side of my back garden. Chopped some of that down, but I want my privacy from next door, so the bulk of it will remain.

All the trees are starting or already have their blossom on them, so Spring has definitely arrived. :)

• I now have 4 amaryllis with buds, several others are putting out new leaves. About half of them never died back.

I seem to have some daffodils with buds in the side garden. These had been coming up blind for quite a while. Could be the cold snap has stimulated them to flower.

Winter flowering Jasmine is out as are the bergeinas that have recovered from getting a fungal attack in the Autumn.

• 5 daffodils out in the side garden: 4 pale and one traditional colour. Had a peek at the banana palms and the central leaf is nice and green.

Just re-potted a very large pin-cushion cactus. About 9" tall and 4" in diameter. Has several small round bits on the side at the bottom. Came from my mothers and the wooden container it was in has rotted away. It's VERY spiny but my chrome leather gardening gloves can handle it. Used some growmore compost combined with grit and washed coarse sand. Cacti like free draining compost.

Also potted up a piece that had broken off the big money plant in the bathroom. Got half a dozen of these now. Easy to propagate and grow well under most conditions.

• You're supposed to be re-wilding your grass according to Chris Packham. It's a good excuse. ;)

Well yes, and I will apply the letting it get back to nature to the rest of the garden too and that's me doing my bit for the environment, great thurnberg would be well impressed with me. 🤣

• Well, I did my first mow last month.

On Magnolia, yep mine is about to blossom too.

And like Heero, I've been busy in the garden too. Well, I was last week. having a bit of a rest now. I'm in the middle of pruning one of my gigantic yew trees and I've given the ivy on my garage a "little" prune too - I've severed all the main stems...

Hyacinths just coming into flower for me and a few daffs, but most of them seem a few weeks away until flowering.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!