Horizon's Gardening Topic

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Thanks, H, but it's actually a bit of a mess right now in places. Going to take a huge effort to get it right. Been there most of the morning picking out weeds and the progeny of berries and seeds. The birds bring some nice stuff now and again, so I'll keep some of that 8)

Mr Wing made the garden lamp out of bits from an old lamp post and some steel sheet he cut for the lid.

Interesting...

What you call a mess, I think is probably the best pic on this site.

I so envy your oak saplings!

If I had a garden large enough for them, I would love to have oak trees, but in this day and age and especially in a London garden where you live cheek by jowl with other people, it's a complete no, no.

• The silver vase bromeliad is having a think before she maybe sends out a bloom in winter. I see she is sending out daughter plants, so it remains to be seen what she is up to. I planted the Brazilian bromeliads in small beds on each side of the paving steps way over the other side of the garden and they are also sending up daughter plants. I'm hoping they will thrive. If not we'll have to try them somewhere else.

The far end of the north garden is a real tangle of out of control jasmine and baby's breath germination, privet berry random spread and all kinds of other stuff that will have to be taken out. Quite a lot of our seedlings were washed away by the rain :( And some have been chomped by the doves.

• Are you in a flat Norra?

Housing estate and the only trees around are a few planted around from some years back and half of them have been blown over in winds over the years and not replaced or looking worse for wear. It's zone 2 London so fairly built up and no large green spaces.

• Do you not have a garden at all Norra, or access to one? I'm in zone 6 and thanks to "newcomers" into the area, its starting to become really built up too and less like a suburb and more like inner London.

• Got a backyard but it's not really big enough for a garden. The estate has a communal green which is overgrown and has turned into a dumping ground for old sofas, stolen mopeds and what have you. Besides even if I did have a garden it wouldn't exactly be very tranquil. Planes, helicopters, noisy traffic and pollution.

• You can still have a garden Norra. Even if the space is no larger than a average balcony.

You can get some plant pots/containers and put plants in them Norra, even shrubs and a little tree. Around May time supermarkets like Tesco and Asda sell trays of summer bedding plants which will fill the containers up for very little cost. They come at different price points, but I always seek out the Tesco's packs of 20 plants for £3. Or they do larger plants and you get about a dozen for the same price.

The biggest outlay would be getting the containers to begin with, but B&Q always do cheap ones and the compost.

You can always have green if you want. :)

• Going to be narrow-ish mostly as we have water shortage problems under normal conditions and so shrubs that can take the climate will be our choice. I love acres of flowers, but I can't have what I love.

Will post what goes into the beds as we get there. Keeping the grass alive is our next big problem. A sprinkler system would be the best solution. Turn it on for a few minutes before or after the heat and it should be okay. It's what our neighbor does.

• Found some Chinese maple seeds under their mother tree and have panted one in a bonsai trainer pot. So far no cigar but it might take some time to germinate. If not I'll have to go on the hunt for tiny trees that might have come up somewhere else.

Found what looks like a variegated privet germination, so planted that in a bonsai trainer pot too. The thing is I can't tell at the moment whether it's a variegated privet or a variegated periwinkle. If it turns out to be the latter, it will have to go. If it's a privet, it will be turned into a bonsai.

My orange tree bonsai has gone ballistic from the rain. She will have to get a pruning. :evil:

• The Bromeliad in the bathroom is flowering again (See post #1544 for picture of bloom) it has six flower stems in total this time. Must be happy the way I'm treating it and its environment. :)

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Two new species of killer hammerhead flatworms heading to our gardens
    TWO new species of killer hammerhead flatworms are heading to our gardens, scientists have warned. Some have already been found in Europe and experts believe…
    www.thesun.co.uk

They can come and have my slugs and snails anyday so long as they leave the worms alone.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I agree they can have as all the slugs and snails in our garden, as long as they leave my worm farm alone they are my fishing mates , if these Hammer Heads get here they could end up in my bait box as well

• Wife is the keen gardener every years she does the hanging baskets , plants new flowers in the pots she loves the local Garden Centre , I just do the heavy work keeping the bushes in checks. keep the laws mowed which I hate doing sets my hay fever off.

The other day after seeing this article I told her not the buy any Bamboo

How a neighbour's bamboo caused £100,000 damage inside a family home
    The family in Hampshire were forced out of their home after their neighbour's bamboo began growing through their walls and floor, causing £100,000 worth of…
    www.dailymail.co.uk
  • Bet that house was timber framed. Bamboo is very invasive.

No a brick built house it grew under the concrete floor, found gaps in the skirting boards , it was growing inside the cavity wall and would have eventually brought the house down, took a week to remove the roots under the concrete flooring £100,00 grand bill to repair the damage

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!