Horizon's Gardening Topic

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Taken off the fleece on the small banana palm and it looks fine. I've left the "teepee" of poles in case the outer fleece is needed. I'm going to unwrap the big one as its growing fast at the moment. I can always put on a temporary light fleece if a frost is forecast.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I cant grow those things where I am. We had a neighbour once from KwaZulu/Natal (a tropical province) and he brought a beloved pawpaw tree with him. He would cover it every winter. It produced some fine looking fruit but had to be looked after on account of the weather here. When he moved, he took his pawpaw tree with him. It wasn't very big, so it was kind of portable.

I tried to plant out an avocado I'd been nursing in a pot for years a few years ago. One winter and it was killed. Quite tragic as it had a lovely little frill of new leaves and was looking good. ;(

My bother lives 25 KM away and has a warmer climate so his mother-in-law had a pair of large avo trees in the garden. Fantastic trees, providing shade and bearing enough fruit to pick and sell. Both got it from the lightning and are no more. Mother Nature being a bit of a harridan again 8) .

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Been busy for the last week in the garden, taken advanatage of the nice weather.

Last week, I got another tree surgeon in to take down my gigantic laurel tree at the end of my garden and also the laburnum tree on the right hand side past my greenhouse.

Although there was nothing wrong with the laburnum, it was planted right on the very border with the neighours (as was everything else in what was originally my parent's garden) and I need that space for a future work area.

I've currently been clearing out a load of forsythia and digging that up right by my greenhouse. It was nice and was just finishing flowering, but I need that space for my new smaller washing line. The whole area past my greenhouse on the right hand side of my garden was a raised bed and I've gradually been digging it all up and removing the soil and 50+ year old shrub/tree roots all entrenched in it.

As far as digging/heavy stuff goes, I've got one massive clump of mature fortsytha on the right hand side again to remove and that will be it, my garden will be cleared. But that can wait, as I'm not in any rush and besides....

I've got all my summer bedding, hanging basket and perennial plants coming this week. I hope. And once they're all planted, my garden rennovation project, at least the green part of it, will be complete.

Need a new patio, pathways, garden gate and wall and the shed removed too. And if I have any puff left, where the laurel once stood at the end of my garden, I intend to have a little wildlife pond. But perhaps I can make that my project for next year.

Might grow some stuff from seed too. I've got a lot of borders to fill! :)

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Several weeks ago two of my shaving brush plants ( Haemanthus Albiflos ) flowered and then produced red fruits. I noticed that some of these were developing into tiny green bulblets with a small root on each so I've planted them up in a pot and using a sprayer to gently water them.

I don't actually need more plants as I inherited a single one from my mother which produced a number of separate bulbs with I divided and potted up and they have grown strongly since.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Sainsbury's had reduced bedding plants 1/3 off so I got some to go into the tubs and pots on the patio. I'd already got 4 feature plants and wanted some extra to go with them. Petunias, begonias and gazanias.

With April being so cold with repeated frosts I'd rather forgotten about getting some summer plants.

4312-gwban-gif

• That's a really good bargain there. The plants from the supermarkets will always be full sized unlike the plug plants I get from mail order.

• Yes, they're a decent size and don't have those horrid teabags round the roots. Obviously you pay more for bigger plants.

I've just been planting up the tubs and also cleared out a trough to take some. I've planted the gazanias in one of the raised beds round the patio in a sunny spot. Some of the nasturtiums made it through the winter and more are coming from seed, already flowering well.

4312-gwban-gif

• Ordinary looking home in Cotswolds hides an exotic secret in the garden
    A COUPLE have transformed their garden into a tropical haven. Karen Cammish, 51, and husband Jason, 50, have more than 100 exotic plants including giant…
    www.thesun.co.uk

Somebody likes their banana palms like me. :)

4312-gwban-gif

• Just shows how an average British garden can be turned into something far more exotic with a little work.

• I keep trying to turn mine into an English garden. Funny how some people love the tropical look. I am not keen on it, personally. It's mostly always a struggle to grow what the climate doesn't like. I've learned the hard way to go with the flow on this one. If it can't survive on its own, it is allowed to do or die. Result has been quite good. What loves it is thriving. Big trees have helped to chase off frost damage so some more lush things have a better chance now.

• As I removed a large fatsia shrub/tree as part of my garden renovation, I've removed the exotic from my garden. But I have several smaller ones in pots, in case I change my mind.

But yes, you can't force nature to do what it doesn't want. It wins every time.

• Great Pic , I have just been lopping back some of my garden trees branches that were heading towards my neighbours summer house, that's it for the day 23C too hot to do anything strenuous in this heat.

• Wow. Is that right now, LW? In all the cold you're getting. Amazing.

Yes, winter is their time to shine. The blooms were a lot bigger. They are on the wane now and below the petals left on the spikes are large seeds on the stem.

It's freezing here at the mo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!