Horizon's Gardening Topic

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Great Pic , I have just been lopping back some of my garden trees branches that were heading towards my neighbours summer house, that's it for the day 23C too hot to do anything strenuous in this heat.

Yeah, Be careful doing anything in this heat.

• I had a good ole chop down on Monday too, but it was cooler then.

I'll update the thread soon about my garden. I've obviously had a pause... but the garden rennovation was largely completely earlier in the year and I'm starting to see some of the results now, although what was a old, very mature garden, is nbasically a new one now. So, everything needs to grow and develop a bit first.

• Just looked over the wall and seen my neighbour's strange, thorny hot region-looking plant/tree/thing has been devastated by the frost. It's a sad sight. All its leaves are collapsed. It might be a desert plant, judging by the thorny stems. It's an unfriendly looking thing but right now it's a tragic looking thing.

• The heavenly bamboo is full of scarlet berries this year. I think it must be all the rain we had last summer. I just looked up into the drizzly sky and saw a lone swallow. :?: Looks like it didn't leave this year. Usually the sky is totally empty of swifts and swallows till spring.

heavenlybams.jpg

• The heavenly bamboo is full of scarlet berries this year. I think it must be all the rain we had last summer. I just looked up into the drizzly sky and saw a lone swallow. :?: Looks like it didn't leave this year. Usually the sky is totally empty of swifts and swallows till spring.

heavenlybams.jpg

Looks fantasic LW and the spiral patterns of the patio in the foreground give that picture even more interest, not that it needed it! :)

Is that a Triffid 8| bet is scares the hell out of the cat next door

Yep. I intend to knick it one day. :evil: Hope it doesn't bite me. ^^

My banana palm is getting away, relishing the heat

What happened to its leaves, Heero? Is that wind damage? Certainly seems big enough, so obviolsuly can't be that big a problem for it.

• What happened to its leaves, Heero? Is that wind damage?

Unfortunately that's the wind. Every time it puts out a complete frond we get that silly tearing wind that ruins it. :(

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• More importantly have you had any Bananas from it yet :P

It's the Japanese banana and the fruits are not edible being very fibrous. I did have it bear fruit one year but they didn't get fertilised so never developed. They need another palm in the vicinity as the male flower is separate from the female fruit bearing bloom so are not self pollinating.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Get a big pot/planter perhaps??

Or is that too cruel for a tree?

I can't say it's too cruel as I am a novice bonsai person, but the trouble with a planter apple is that it will shoot up in no time and need planting out. I wish I'd known about the cross fertilization when I blithely planted the apple. She gets huge wonderful apples, but they don't seem to be juicy or appetising and this is because she hasn't been cross fertilized. According to the apple experts. :/

• The cruel bit would be to keep it pruned, so it doesn't outgrow the pot, but is big enough to attract the insects to do their stuff.

I'm 50/50 on it. I don't really think trees or shrubs should be put in unnatural environments, but if needs must...

• It does produce some large blooms. Most of the other cacti have smaller flowers. In the picture on the right next to the plant label is a flower bud, that small brown tuft. This one* produces orange daisy like flowers.

*Mamalaria Elongata aka Lady's Fingers.

4312-gwban-gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!