Horizon's Gardening Topic

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • My shaving brush plants (Haemanthus Albiflos) are flowering. They're a type of lily.

Photo0448_s.jpg

6 in total at the moment. The small ones in the pot on the right I grew from seed that the others made last year. They also bud off bulblets that can also be separated from the mother plant and re-potted.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• A clean out of the greenhouse today for me and then put some seedlings and baby plants I want to overwinter inside the greenhouse, as temps are going down to 2C tonight.

Another cold night tomorrow, then things improve again.

• Firstly, I planted a seed from a supermarket apple that was either Red Gala or Pink Lady. So I knew I'd be getting the root stock apple tree if it grew. It grew. It's a lovely tree and the birds love it. But ... the apples are a mystery. They don't seem to ripen. On top of that we have an invasion of those confounded rose ringed green parrots and they are very destructive and have chucked the young apples down, as seen in photo. They don't stand a chance against this bunch of gangster-like rowdy foreign invaders.

apples1.jpg

apples2.jpg

apples3.jpg

• Just been freezing my butt off outside fleecing up the banana palm stems. The fronds are still firm if looking a little sorry. We've had -3C a couple of nights ago but they're still OK. When the frond ribs buckle then I'll chop them short and put some fleece right over the crowns.

The nasturtiums were flowering until then but now they've bought it as well. Stems and leaves have shriveled.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Those frosts have caused the banana palm fronds to turn brown and flop except for the first 8" or so that has stayed green and firm. Time to cut off the damaged parts and cover the crowns up with fleece.

My Mediterranean hibiscus that I bought inside a couple of months ago is beginning to flower, often does as it's now in the warm even if the light is limited.

4312-gwban-gif

• They look ripe to me, LW, but obviously you know your tree.

I would've said Gala, but you've already ruled that out. Perhaps you need another tree for a bit of cross fertilisation??

• Those frosts have caused the banana palm fronds to turn brown and flop except for the first 8" or so that has stayed green and firm. Time to cut off the damaged parts and cover the crowns up with fleece.

Never understand why you leave it so late, but 'tis your business.

My Mediterranean hibiscus that I bought inside a couple of months ago is beginning to flower, often does as it's now in the warm even if the light is limited.

Blimey! Perhaps you've got a winter variety. How bizarre. Nice, but odd.

• Never understand why you leave it so late, but 'tis your business.

The problem is if I fleece up too early then there's potential for wet and rot to set in and kill the palm. Additionally they're still putting out new fronds until it gets really cold.

4312-gwban-gif

• Out in the garden last week when it was nice.... not now!

Mowed and edged both my lawns last week and did a load of weeding. Because it has been so warm (up until now) the weeds were getting rampant, so best to be rid of them while they're still small rather than when they get too big. Had a nice time.

Got a load of seeds for Christmas and thinking about those now, but I'm wary about sowing them too soon. If the weather gets really cold again. I have a greenhouse, but it's not heated. I'll start the seeds off in the house, but then they'll need to go into the greenhouse when they come up. Just don't know when to start them off.

My silver vase bromeliads have decided to bloom. Must have been the recent rain. They have a long way to go as these are just early versions of what the flowers will turn into

Love the contrast between the spikiness of the flowers and leaves.

Any chance of another pic, when the flowers reach their full glory? Pretty, please.:)

• Absolutely stunning, LW.

Did you ever find out about your apple tree?

The only other thing I can think of is if it still isn't ripening, is, how much light does it get? Is the tree being shaded out by something else?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!