Horizon's Gardening Topic

• Had a quick 1 minute glance over my gardens and spotted a daffodil flower emerging and some hyacinths showing through too. Even got a a few more snowdrops in my front garden too, which is nice.

As my personal situation has deteriorated since last September as my caring duties have become 24/7, my gardens are looking the worse for wear. Nothing done on them since last October and they are looking messy as I'm stuck inside all the time. Not sure what will happen garden wise this year, but at least I have some spring plants to look forward too, that's the ones which haven't been destroyed by all the various creatures!

One of my main planters of violas by my front door has been completely destroyed, but most of the other planters have been pretty much left alone, for now. Should be a half decent display when they all come out and I will post piccies if I can. Lots of dafs, hyacinths, tulips and bedding all starting to awaken.:)

===

I have a amaryllis in the kitchen which is just about to flower and I I will post a snap of it when it emerges. It was a Christmas present. It's a monster! Second stem coming too, so should provide plenty of flowers for quite a while.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Sorry to hear your carer duties are affecting the garden.

There's a roundabout near me that the daffs have been flowering on since mid January. Two of my Amaryllis are also producing buds, they didn't even drop the leaves like about half the others have.

If the weather's a bit warmer this weekend we'll have to start tidying up the garden. I have a rather overgrown hebe in the front that really needs cutting back. I did some last summer to stimulate growth from lower down the stems. That has happened so I can start to cut off the higher up straggly stuff and make it a bit more compact. Same applies to a small yew nearer the front window that is cutting off the light.

Fortunately yew can be cut right back and will grow from the cut ends unlike Leylandii. Pity people don't use it more.

I usually have a small bunch of it in the bathroom as it has a pleasant aroma as the cuttings dry out. Much better than spraying nasty chemicals about.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• Sorry to hear your carer duties are affecting the garden.

Thank you. It is what it is.... I just didn't realise last year when I was doing the gardening, that would be it for a while, the same with the cooking. It's strange how little things like doing a bit of sweeping in the garden or doing a roast can be be missed, when those options are no longer available.

There's a roundabout near me that the daffs have been flowering on since mid January. Two of my Amaryllis are also producing buds, they didn't even drop the leaves like about half the others have.

If the weather's a bit warmer this weekend we'll have to start tidying up the garden. I have a rather overgrown hebe in the front that really needs cutting back. I did some last summer to stimulate growth from lower down the stems. That has happened so I can start to cut off the higher up straggly stuff and make it a bit more compact. Same applies to a small yew nearer the front window that is cutting off the light.

Fortunately yew can be cut right back and will grow from the cut ends unlike Leylandii. Pity people don't use it more.

I usually have a small bunch of it in the bathroom as it has a pleasant aroma as the cuttings dry out. Much better than spraying nasty chemicals about.

Didn't know that about the Yew and if you look back in the pics of my garden in this thread or the gallery, you'll see I have Yews too. Three in the back and one in the front garden.

Considering you're so close to the coast and away from the heat of a big city, those dafs are doing amazing.

Never had a Amaryllis before, so looking forward to seeing it flower.

I used to love Hebes, even met the country's foremost expert on them, he lives very close to me. But I made the mistake in recent years of going for all the new coloured hybrid versions grown in the garden centres, which look wonderful the first year and then die off, so don't have anymore now. I should've stuck to the advice I was given.

• But I made the mistake in recent years of going for all the new coloured hybrid versions grown in the garden centres

Mine is a straight white with slight purple tinges. Big leaves, very sturdy.

Yew is a favorite for hedges and topiary in the larger stately gardens because it takes cutting back without going brown. It's also very long lived and often planted in church cemeteries and allowed to grow into a substantial tree. The one I have just grew so I guess it must have come from a seed left by a bird.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• When the hebes were brought over from New Zealand, they were mostly green/blue varieties. Avoid anything red, they all die.

My three yews in the back garden are on the border with the scum neighbours (spit), so they help to block them out.^^