Horizon's Gardening Topic

• Where I am it's hot in summer but in winter some places get snow and the mountains get snow and when that blows across to us we freeze. This morning is one of those early winter mornings when a freeze breeze came up last night and now the cold is seeping through my clothes, as usual. It's the super dry air combined with high altitude.

South Africa isn't the typical African jungle or Savannah people think it is. It is a huge area with many different climates. Goes from desert to scrub to mountains, hills, grasslands, bush, tropics and Mediterranean and the coastlines are magnificent but also go from western desert to Mediterranean to cool temperate to tropical. Amazing place. Incredibly beautiful.

There, in a mauve light of drifted lupins,

They hung in the cupped hands of mountains

Made of tingling atoms.- Ted Hughes

• Still hope to visit one day, sounds fantastic LW.

On gardening, I managed to do a bit today. Water both my gardens (they're very dry, despite the recent rain) mowed my back lawn and did some general tidying up.

The cats are still try to dig up all the plants I put in the front garden last week and some of them have already been destroyed.

I still need to do some gardening in my back, including planting out my back bed, but I'm not sure if I will be able to or not, not least because I haven't got any plants to put in there.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I'm going to have to find time to do some basic cleaning up. There is a season's worth of leaves on the ground and things have got all straggly and need pruning.

The sun birds have found the flowering aloes. Wish I could get a pic but they shoot off if I go too near.

• Bleeding slug or snail has eaten the main shoot of my delphinium that I got recently.:cursing: Didn't know it was vulnerable. Plenty of pellets put out now.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• And with all this wet weather, it's heaven for them.

The sun birds have found the flowering aloes. Wish I could get a pic but they shoot off if I go too near.

You get some very interesting visitors to your garden, LW. Would love to see a pic of them in the future, if you manage to capture them for a second.

• Early winter's day in the garden. You can see what sort of winter weather we have where I am.

• Trees look lovely LW. :)

Have you had any more problems with snapping branches like you had before?

• Not so far, H, but I keep a wary eye on the acacia caffra as this is the one that might let go a branch at any time. The one zooming up to the left of photo. Hasn't lost all its leaves yet. Has a good few dead bits on it so we may have to pull them down. Mr V made me a looooong plastic pipe pole with a hook on the end. I use it to get at high up lemons so I might use it to pull down high up dead bits off the acacia caffra. Got to be careful as I have been knocked on the back of the head by one twisting and clouting me before now.

• His majesty won't let me use it or wield his fab chainsaw as he is convinced I will end up cutting off my leg.

• Yes. And a chainsaw whilst standing on a ladder is the worst possible combination, so I'm with Mr V on this.:thumbup::)

In my garden yesterday, had a visit not just from one squirrel, but three! Now I've got three of the critters to dig up all my plants as they bury all the nuts I put out for the birds.:)

• Some pics of my winter garden. Tree aloes, aloe Vera, cycads and Heavenly bamboo berries.

• Blimey! Your winter garden looks better than my early summer garden, LW. All looks very exotic, but especially like the top pic, the tree aloes with the red spiky tops.

A couple shots of my back garden taken a few days ago during the rain:

Something I spoke about last year, about how dense and crowded my area is getting and the top shot illustrates this. One of the neighbouring houses has a dormer extension in their loft and this is becoming the norm now as all houses are turning into three floor houses. Several houses I see out of my front window have had this done. Privacy is being completely destroyed.:(

• So lovely and green, H :)

The plant on the lower left of the top photo: I think I may have something similar growing in the street side garden. It was inherited with a stack of potted plants when Mr V's parents gave up their house some years ago. I'll take a pic and you or Heero can maybe tell me what it is. At first it looked rather sad but it seems to have found itself.

• It's a Fatsia lower left LW, the most exotic thing I have in my garden. It's right by my conservatory. Here it is from a slightly different angle, taking in scum towers (next door neighbours):

• Here is mine. Is it also a fatsia type or something else?

• I looked up Fatsia and Hellebore. None of those and I notice now mine has separated leaves and yours has one big leaf. Going to go to my plant books and see if I can find it.

• I think I have found it. It's a Schefflera arboricola, with common name of Dwarf Umbrella Tree.

• I think I have found it. It's a Schefflera arboricola, with common name of Dwarf Umbrella Tree.

I have a similar one as a house plant in the bathroom.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Oh yes, I see now. Definitely not a fatsia.

I had fun this morning, noticed at 6am that half the busy lizzie plug plants I put in my front garden had all been turfed out, so I tried to replant the ones I could salvage. The creatures had also been in one of the planters too next to my front door and turfed out half the soil all over my front steps and patio. And as it had been raining, it was a right mess.

• Sorry to hear about the damage to your plants. It's very disheartening when that happens as I know too well. So far the only thing that's really worked for me is the hard mulch: Stones, tiles etc. Even then I've had the odd damage to tubs and troughs.

4312-gwban-gif

• Ever get the feeling your privet is watching you?

You've heard of private eye, but what about privet eye? =O

• Is that a camera in there? Is that tree in your garden, LW?

Sorry to hear about the damage to your plants. It's very disheartening when that happens as I know too well. So far the only thing that's really worked for me is the hard mulch: Stones, tiles etc. Even then I've had the odd damage to tubs and troughs.

I need the absolute minimum amount of additional stress as possible and this doesn't help at all.

The time I have available to replant things, or anything else is almost zero now and I still haevn't finished my back bed in my back garden.

• Is that a camera in there? Is that tree in your garden, LW?

Yes the privet is in the garden. I was actually photographing a small lizard sunning itself on the foot of the trunk of the privet and I looked up the trunk and there it was, giving me the hairy eyeball. :D

I had one of these "eyes" on another tree that had a branch cut off years ago and over time the eye has merged back into the bark, but the privet one is very prominent at the moment - and quite creepy.

• Fortunately I love them so they have nothing to fear from me, but they do have a lot of watching to do regarding all the mad tree fellers you get today. Two leaves come down and they go out armed to the teeth and demolish the tree for being messy. I could scream when I hear those confounded saws. You just know some poor tree is getting it for being a tree.