Horizon's Gardening Topic

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Several round me have done that. Next it'll be artificial plants. :rolleyes:

Then artificial trees to avoid the leaves and then some anti-tree zealot will cut them down.^^

All the fronts in my area, I can't call them gardens anymore as most of them aren't, many of them have those crappy B&Q jobs that look as genuine as most of the owners now.

I'm looking forward to the age of artificial neighbours. ^^

^^:thumbup:

Or even better, none at all!:)

BTW, love your orange tree, I'll come back to that later.

• I once bought some oranges from a travelling fruit seller and I planted one of the seeds. This is the result. It has pips so it isn't a naval orange. Might be a Valencia. I really don't know.

• As I said earlier in the Friday the 13th thread, bad day in my garden today. I found the end bit of the squirrel's tail that had been ripped off and either the cat has killed it or it's badly injured. Poor thing. The squirrel was quite happily feeding from my bird table early this morning, how quickly things can change...:(

• Over the last year or so LW, I've had what I think is a stray cat come into my garden and house. It's very slim, although looks healthy, but is an absolute killer. Killed all my baby birds last year and almost killed a squirrel a few months ago in my garden. The squirrel managed to escape under my gate, whereas the cat had to jump over my fence losing some time. Both were very fast, so yes, this cat is perfectly capable of killing anything it comes across.

• I've tried to do a little bit of gardening this afternoon, but as I'm currently on what is only one of three breaks I get in a week, I've just had to stop to rest.

I emptied some of my hanging baskets last Saturday, but my other ones still have some flowers in them, so I'll leave them a bit longer. Normally, I'd be preparing violas, pansies etc ready for planting in my beds and planters, but that won't happen this year. I've got lots of planters filled with last year's bulbs, so I'm hopeful some of them might come out next Spring.

Unfortunately, my garden is suffering. It's been very dry and it's not been watered much over the last six months and weeds are starting to take hold. I was trying to attack some of them a bit earlier and I might ask for advice on what they are from members here, as up until now, I've always had a weed free garden, so I don't what they all are.

Oh well, there's always another time to get things back in shape.:)

• I've always had a weed free garden, so I don't what they all are.

You of course know how to tell the difference between a treasured plant and a weed?

Try pulling it out: If it's a treasured plant it'll come out easily, a weed will hang on for grim death.:D

• How much of the tail did you find, H? I didn't know cats could attack something the size of a squirrel. I am wondering now whether our neighbour's marauding killer has been after our wild spotted Genet as there have been crashes and jangles heard during the night and I suspect the wretched thing is after the Genet. It also kills everything and lives on the roofs of our houses. It sleeps in a lair on the neighbour's roof and shits in our garden. It's an absolute pest. It fights with any other cat and I have heard some really serious fights in the night. We have tried everything to keep it out. It seems to be able to walk through walls and flow through fence spikes.

• About 15cm with a bit of blood at the end of it where it's been bitten off and various fluff and fur spread all over the garden.

You'll never keep cats out of your garden LW, they can get everywhere. I had to look up what a genet is, but going by pictures I've seen, it looks like a domestic cat could easily go after it, so it's possible.

• A bird of prey has started to make appearances around our garden, and we have found one pile of feathers

Every time it appears by the time we've got the camera it's off so taking a pic has been difficult to date

• A bird of prey has started to make appearances around our garden, and we have found one pile of feathers

Every time it appears by the time we've got the camera it's off so taking a pic has been difficult to date

Wow, is it a harrier?

I don't interfere with wild indigenous creatures feeding off whatever it is they survive on. I have a problem with invasive species that prey on wild species or that replace them in their natural habitats. The grey squirrel and the domestic cat are two of these. There is an increasing number of land air and water species that are causing havoc world wide by being introduced. And, yes, humans do the same sort of thing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!