Horizon's Gardening Topic

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • My yellow osteospermum hasn't stopped flowering. I still have nasturtiums, geraniums and begonias flowering as we've not had a sharp frost yet. I bought the Mediterranean hibiscus in several months ago and it's putting on a flower display. Usually does as it responds to being in the warm.

The browser dictionary doesn't include osteospermum and offered osteoporosis.^^ I've added it now.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• My yellow osteospermum hasn't stopped flowering. I still have nasturtiums, geraniums and begonias flowering as we've not had a sharp frost yet. I bought the Mediterranean hibiscus in several months ago and it's putting on a flower display. Usually does as it responds to being in the warm.

The browser dictionary doesn't include osteospermum and offered osteoporosis.^^ I've added it now.

Lucky you. I love the brightly coloured osteospermum but the purple coloured ones are the only ones that survive our winters. They must be a hardier strain. I've lifted the double begonias but haven't bothered lifting the geraniums. We have a hardy Hibiscus (Bluebird) but the tender ones have much bigger flowers. The only plants that survive in our house are cacti and succulents. It is too warm for most house plants.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I have three hardy hibiscus in pots on the patio: Blue, pink and white. There are several of these in gardens round here.

Once a few more flowers are open I'll try and post some pictures. On Cyprus they use these as hedges, very pretty.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I have three hardy hibiscus in pots on the patio: Blue, pink and white. There are several of these in gardens round here.

Once a few more flowers are open I'll try and post some pictures. On Cyprus they use these as hedges, very pretty.

Our Mahonia has been in full flower for a couple of weeks now and the winter pansies and wallflowers are still flowering. Our Osteospermum is just starting to flower and that will be a prolific flowerer until December or so. Bulbs have been showing for a few weeks but no flowers yet, not even the snowdrops or winter aconite are flowering. I hope the squirrel hasn't eaten them all!

EDIT: just had a closer look down the bottom of the garden and the aconites are in full bud so should be flowering soon. The snowdrops are around 2" high but no flowers yet, and the winter jasmine is flowering. :)

Amazing isn't it, the usual seasons have gone

I think you are in Yorkshire so it makes your garden even more amazing

• Love the choice of bricks that you chose there LW. Nice colours in them.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Mr Blackbird is singing his heart out these mornings trying to attract a mate. He must think it is time to breed in this mild weather

• I love the way blackbirds post a sentry and they start to 'pip, pip, pip' when a cat or other threat appears.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I've got to know the blackbird's alarm call so I go and look for the cat to chase it away.

4312-gwban-gif

• My dog has learned bird alarm calls and goes to chase cats away on his own now. Birds are very useful warning systems for intruders and lurkers as well. If you're suspicious, watch the birds. if they are not concerned, there's no one there.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Winter flowering Jasmine is well out. Seems odd to see some of the summer bedding plants still flowering as well.

4312-gwban-gif

• Winter flowering Jasmine is well out. Seems odd to see some of the summer bedding plants still flowering as well.

Know what you mean, Marigolds flowering in January

Indeed. I never got to do any gardening in Autumn that includes the usual overwintering of all my summer stuff that I keep. At the moment (of course it could all change) the geraniums are healthy and some of them flowering.

• Mr Blackbird is singing his heart out these mornings trying to attract a mate. He must think it is time to breed in this mild weather

I find the worst alarm calls from Mr Blackbird is when another Mr Blackbird is around. I find the blackbirds and robins the most territorial out of all the garden birds.

• I find the worst alarm calls from Mr Blackbird is when another Mr Blackbird is around. I find the blackbirds and robins the most territorial out of all the garden birds.

A friend insists that robins only live for a year and i have to say that we have a different one every year

• Percy the builder has laid another set of foundations for the walkway, which will have three stepped levels to the paving at the pond. He will build retaining walls next and then filling and top level paving decoration will be done.

paving3.jpg

• It looks good, LW. What will you do with the ground either side of the walkway? Grass, or planting?

• Grass and some planting. We think the grass may grow better if it's in smaller quantities and next to paving and brick. It tends to get tatty and die off in large dry spaces.

We had some torrential rain recently and even with just the foundations of the paved oblong in place, the runoff was diverted from going into the pond and taking mud with it and it ran down the outer edge of the retaining paving wall instead and off to join its mates that come under the garden walls from the top of the street. Things were getting dire in that department and the tree was being gouged out and the top soil was flowing away.

• It's always good when a plan works as intended. :)

• Mr V plans it all out in detail beforehand. I found him out there one night at ten o'clock, designing things and drawing them out on paper. He's an engineer. Everything tends to be precision planned with strength capability built in.

Luckily I'm not the one planning it :D

• Percy the builder has laid another set of foundations for the walkway, which will have three stepped levels to the paving at the pond. He will build retaining walls next and then filling and top level paving decoration will be done.

And presumably all this work is being done in all the heat.<X They make 'em tough in your neck of the woods.:)

===

I've actually managed to do 30 mins of "gardening" today, the first in several months.:)^^

As folks might recall, I wasn't able to prepare for Spring last Autumn and everything got left. All my summer plants are still outside rather than being overwintered in the greenhouse.

Anyway, in anticipation of future problems, as I said in this thread a year or so ago, I was intending to do "containerised" planting, by keeping all spring bulbs and summer plants in pots, which would then be "planted" in the ground and swapped out for the next season's batch as and when needed.

That all worked fine, until I had no time left as had happened last Autumn, so all my pots and planters containing spring bulbs and plants were shoved in a corner while all the summer stuff is still in the beds. Today, I have moved a load of spring pots and planters close to the house and I hope to dot some some others around the gardens. They won't get planted and will look messy, but with shoots coming from them all, I would rather see them all, than not at all.

Unfortnately, what will be missed will be all the spring annuals which I normally plant each Autumn, so no violas or pansies this year, but a few primroses have survived from last year, so I've replanted them in a large planter and see what happens. If cold weather comes soon, as normally happens at this time of year, then the plants won't have a chance to establish, but we'll see. VERY warm outside today. Double figures.

Anyway, dafs, hyacinths are on the way and hopefully tulips will pop up later too at some point and with all surviving summer plants still planted and summer planters still in prime positions too, it's a little "busy" out there at the moment, ie total mess!^^

• We removed a bed at the side of our place and grassed it to give the dogs more running space. That bed contained our snowdrops, and I was delighted today to see that one had managed to survive and pop it's head up through the grass. Hopefully more will do the same as it looks so lonely, but natural

• And presumably all this work is being done in all the heat. They make 'em tough in your neck of the woods.

No point in waiting for the heat to abate ^^

Mr V out there with them, me shouting from inside: "Get her hat on, white boy!"

• We seem to have a positive plague of fungus flies at the moment. I've just cleaned out the UV insect killing lamp in the kitchen-diner and there were hundreds in there. No wonder it keeps making that satisfying "crack" as another pest bites the dust.:)

4312-gwban-gif

• We seem to have a positive plague of fungus flies at the moment. I've just cleaned out the UV insect killing lamp in the kitchen-diner and there were hundreds in there. No wonder it keeps making that satisfying "crack" as another pest bites the dust.:)

Have you got lots of indoor plants?

• Have you got lots of indoor plants?

Yes, loads, and you can see the flies on the compost and round the pots. There must be something you can get to muller them. :/

4312-gwban-gif

• Overheard in Tesco this morning at the chicken counter where they were £3.20 each

"No, we''ll wait 'till they are 3 for £10"

• Got some fleece out and wrapped the banana palm's stems up. The crowns are still full of fronds and new leaves coming out. Hopefully the predicted frosts won't be too severe. If the fronds get caught I'll cut them off and fully shroud the crowns.

Still got osteospermums and begonias flowering.

4312-gwban-gif

• Never understand why you leave it so late to fleece it up Heero, but entirely your business of course. If it were me, I would've covered it up by October at the latest.

As for me, I've no idea whether I'll be able to do any gardening this year or not, but if I can I will and got out my shitty propagators (that I've spoken about last year) cleaned them up and will test them with some old collected seed, before buying some new seed packs.

I doubt I will get the opportunity to go to any garden centre this year, so everything will have to be grown from seed and/or get plug plants from online suppliers.