The Great Debate on Immigration

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • And there lies the problem. Until someone can come up with something better, we should not tamper with it.

I believe the problem lies as much with the voters as it does the system. In my experience more people I know agree with the policies of the reform party than any other party, but wouldn't vote for them because they believe it is a wasted vote. I believe very few people hold a high regard for either the Labour party or the Conservatives, but will probably vote for one of them at the next election just to keep the other one out of power. Of course there is proportional representation, but this comes in several forms and generally means we would end up with a hung parliament.

Unfortunately politicians are out of touch with the general public, and listen to those who shout the loudest. This is why people with minority opinions tend to get their own way. If the silent majority wasn't so bloody silent then perhaps political decisions would make more sense to us.

• Perhaps Voting should be made compulsory that way all the Party's would know without any shadow of a doubt what the voters think, I would also included another box that stated " None of the Above Party's or Candidates "

Trouble is IMO that many people no longer take any interest in Politics and don't even vote , which to me makes no sense it took years to have the right to vote, and even longer for women

• I would get rid of parliament and all the MPs and give the Royals another go especially as William rises to the throne so it like before Cromwell days. It's not like the Royals will behead people and stuff like back in them days.

• I would get rid of parliament and all the MPs and give the Royals another go especially as William rises to the throne so it like before Cromwell days. It's not like the Royals will behead people and stuff like back in them days.

I think where we go wrong is letting civil servants run the country. I believe minister in charge of any department should an expert in the field. Governments are always have re-shuffles, which involves putting someone in charge of a department they know nothing about, and in turn allowing civil servants to run the country. It doesn't make sense to me

• No, it’s important that we don’t have professionals making policy when it comes to making the best decisions for the country. The beauty of the present system is that professionals recommend and politicians implement.

Professionals tend to be a bit obsessive in their respective fields. Politicians are there to apply the public perception.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• No, it’s important that we don’t have professionals making policy when it comes to making the best decisions for the country. The beauty of the present system is that professionals recommend and politicians implement.

Professionals tend to be a bit obsessive in their respective fields. Politicians are there to apply the public perception.

Yes Civil Servants do not run the country , it matters not which Government we have in place the Politicians run the country , they decide what is to happen and the Civil Service is supposed to implement their instructions , those that don't carry out those instructions should be sacked IMO

• Yes Civil Servants do not run the country , it matters not which Government we have in place the Politicians run the country , they decide what is to happen and the Civil Service is supposed to implement their instructions , those that don't carry out those instructions should be sacked IMO

That’s all very well but politicians but those instructions have to be legal & comprehensive.

It’s very easy for politicians to blame civil servants.

• That’s all very well but politicians but those instructions have to be legal & comprehensive.

It’s very easy for politicians to blame civil servants.

If you don't want to do something, you can always find a way to be awkward. What is needed is managers to relentlessly push the initiative through and get in the faces of those who stand in the way, demand regular updates and set challenging targets to get things done. I believe these are all known as bullying in this day and age but things did get done back then. Labour had Alistair Campbell and the Tories had Dominic Cummings. The comedy show "The Thick of It" gave a humorous insight into how these things worked - brilliant series.

Here is 45 minutes of absolutely superb highlights of The Thick of IT

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Having worked in the Civil Service I know for a fact that many Senior Heads of Departments can and are awkward they don't like change and run their Departments like their own personal empire

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!