The Great Debate on Immigration

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Well, that worked out well for them... ^^

But it worked at the time, Cameron didn't want to give us the Brexit vote and he certainly didn't want us to vote to leave, he just wanted to stop people voting UKIP instead of tory that bit worked a bit too well because he would have preferred to have a coalition government at the time so he wouldn't be able to give us the Brexit vote but instead he ended up with a majority so had to give us the Brexit vote which then went the wrong way for him so he then stepped down because the result didn't go his way.

• Why is everyone so mealy-mouthed? The truth is, we neither need nor want these people. Not only is Britain over-flowing but we must not allow any more Muslims into the country. We must keep this country predominately white. There....I've said what most people are thinking but afraid to say.

We should declare that the UK is full up and we will not consider any more applications for residence. In future anyone paddling across the channel in flimsy little inflatables will be towed back to France.

• Why is everyone so mealy-mouthed? The truth is, we neither need nor want these people. Not only is Britain over-flowing but we must not allow any more Muslims into the country. We must keep this country predominately white. There....I've said what most people are thinking but afraid to say.

We should declare that the UK is full up and we will not consider any more applications for residence. In future anyone paddling across the channel in flimsy little inflatables will be towed back to France.

It would seem our Home Secretary is hamstrung by international law. Or that is what we are being told.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

I feel sorry for the refugees. Most of them are fleeing from wars or opression that britain contributes to by selling weapons to the people who oppress them. This puts a moral responsibility on Britain. I don't think the country is overflowing. We have recently seen shortages of food pickers, shortages of lorry drivers, shortages of petrol tanker drivers and it seems british people don't want to do the dirty jobs like picking fruit in the fields. The refugees seem happy to do this sort of work and they are mobile too because they have no fixed place in britain that they call their own. they will move from job to job. They seem perfect to do these jobs so I say let them. I wouldnt want to live in a war zone. I would get the hell out of there too. We cant send them back to France now because we are not in the EU any more. When we were in it we could send them back but now we are out the French can refuse to have them. Its a bit ironic.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• If there is one thing this covid pandemic has taught us is that allowing too many people from overseas is not a good idea.

If it was just about fleeing from Warzones and countries where they don't feel safe then they should apply for asylum in the first country they arrive in where they are safe and not be travelling across several countries to get here.

Edited once, last by Ron Manager (November 26, 2021 at 4:03 PM).

• I feel sorry for the refugees. Most of them are fleeing from wars or opression that britain contributes to by selling weapons to the people who oppress them. This puts a moral responsibility on Britain. I don't think the country is overflowing. We have recently seen shortages of food pickers, shortages of lorry drivers, shortages of petrol tanker drivers and it seems british people don't want to do the dirty jobs like picking fruit in the fields. The refugees seem happy to do this sort of work and they are mobile too because they have no fixed place in britain that they call their own. they will move from job to job. They seem perfect to do these jobs so I say let them. I wouldnt want to live in a war zone. I would get the hell out of there too. We cant send them back to France now because we are not in the EU any more. When we were in it we could send them back but now we are out the French can refuse to have them. Its a bit ironic.

Many of these people come from awful places like Iraq where Britain has done a great deal to completely mess up, so I don't disagree that many of these people need help, it's just the location of that help and I believe that should be as close to their own countries as possible.

• Channel migrants: Emmanuel Macron and Boris Johnson clash over crisis
    The French president accuses the UK prime minister of not being serious as diplomatic row escalates.
    www.bbc.co.uk

What do we think of this?

Was Boris right to publisise the letter he sent to Macron?

Perhaps it would be best to wait and see if Macron wins the French election and then decide what to do on this and all the other issues we have with the French, rather than ramping things up.

I see the French are blocking the ports again... :rolleyes:

• I cannot see any point in sending UK

I feel sorry for the refugees. Most of them are fleeing from wars or opression that britain contributes to by selling weapons to the people who oppress them. This puts a moral responsibility on Britain. I don't think the country is overflowing. We have recently seen shortages of food pickers, shortages of lorry drivers, shortages of petrol tanker drivers and it seems british people don't want to do the dirty jobs like picking fruit in the fields. The refugees seem happy to do this sort of work and they are mobile too because they have no fixed place in britain that they call their own. they will move from job to job. They seem perfect to do these jobs so I say let them. I wouldnt want to live in a war zone. I would get the hell out of there too. We cant send them back to France now because we are not in the EU any more. When we were in it we could send them back but now we are out the French can refuse to have them. Its a bit ironic.

I'm sure those illegals could find a safe country much nearer to their home country. BUT they wouldn't be able to live off the generosity of the British taxpayer.

This country is overflowing we don't need or want vast quantities of Illegal Immigrants arriving on our beaches.

We never could send them back to France. The illegals think that France is a stinking place.

The Voice of Reason

• All the media has said that the boats are coming from German suppliers, so I'm not sure where you're getting the Chinese connection from Norra.

It was mentioned by the BBC news reporter in France either yesterday or the day before. These bigger stronger boats are from China. The have a hard gull on the bottom that allows them to carry more people more safely across the channel. These are not the older smaller more flimsy craft they are now using. Some of them even have big outboard motors on them.

We have recently seen shortages of food pickers, shortages of lorry drivers, shortages of petrol tanker drivers and it seems british people don't want to do the dirty jobs like picking fruit in the fields.

Correction, it's not that people wont do dirty jobs. People wont be enslaved to poor wages and poor living conditions. It's seems you would rather prop up the rich business owners who only want cheap labour to maximise profits. Most of the fruit pickers have to live in shoddy old caravans often overcrowded sharing with others for high rental fees taken out of their earnings. I did look into this as I was going to apply for a fruit picking job in the early days of COVID when they started crying out for workers, but after investigating and working out the costs it's just was not worth it plus I would have to leave my home. Folk are better off on benefits. A lot of farmers will even have a farm shop where they charge them higher prices for food and washing facilities.

That minimum wage they earn literally ends up being peanuts. It's not work, it's extortion all so we can buy dirt cheap produce on the supermarket shelves and the supermarkets can maximise profits who pay very little to those farmers for the produce. Considering the farmers are paid so little they make the make up the rest or even the bulk of their money out of the workers in rent, washing facilities and the rest of it. So if anyone is to blame here it's the likes of Mr Sainsburys, Tescos and the share holders who probably all shop at Waitrose and Whole foods.

Those fruit pickers basically have to live like travellers. Gypsies live in better conditions. It's possibly a job and adventure for some young teenagers who want a one star Butlins type experience and a dose of Gonorrhoea. If they are lucky they may get enough time off to walk miles or catch a bus into the local village for pint in the pub or get ripped off buying expensive supplies from the local village stores instead of the farm shop. More often than not if they want a day off they have to sacrifice a days work and wages with future preference of better shifts given to others so it's not only extortion but entrapment.

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59428311

What do we think of this?

Was Boris right to publisise the letter he sent to Macron?

Perhaps it would be best to wait and see if Macron wins the French election and then decide what to do on this and all the other issues we have with the French, rather than ramping things up.

I see the French are blocking the ports again... :rolleyes:

Boris Johnson is using the migrants issue to deflect attention away from the scandals and corruption that have damaged his poll ratings. Macron was dead and buried a couple of months ago as far as the french election is concerned not it seems he is turning things around and it is marine le pen who hasnt got a chance. Its all a horrible mess. how did things get into this state.

• I saw this online with a rather lengthy accompanying text that would probably bore everybody so I will summarise it. It seems to me that refugees are not breaking any law by crossing the english channel so they have every right to enter British waters. Once in British waters Britain has an obligation under the 1951 convention to take them in while their application is investigated. The French have no legal right to stop them getting into their boats because refugees have the right to apply for asylum in Britain. If a refugee tells a gendarme that he wants to travel to Britain to claim asylum, the police have no lawful right to stop them.

And I don't think that Britain taking 0.026% of the worlds refugees is asking a lot. 20339 is nothing out of 79.5 million.

It seems that britain doesnt have a leg to stand on.

migrants.jpg

• Boris Johnson is using the migrants issue to deflect attention away from the scandals and corruption that have damaged his poll ratings. Macron was dead and buried a couple of months ago as far as the french election is concerned not it seems he is turning things around and it is marine le pen who hasnt got a chance. Its all a horrible mess. how did things get into this state.

Are you sure about Macron? Watch this….

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• It seems that britain doesnt have a leg to stand on.

Indeed all correct and all we get from our politicians is hot air. We will probably have either a tourist, someone travelling on holiday and back or one of those immigrants bring in the next COVID strain into the country over the Christmas holidays ready for a lockdown in the new year. If there was ever a time that our politicians could bend those laws under a national emergency then it is now.

• I agree with the governments policy on processing refuges at the refugee camps rather than just on the basis that you had enough money to pay he people traffickers.

At the moment refugees represent a very small number compared to immigration and population. But I do feel if we provided safe crossings the trickle would soon turn to a flood.

Most of these refugees are actually economic migrants, (That is to say those who had good lives in Syria/Iran/Iraq etc before they fell out with their governments.

I always find it 'strange' that those fleeing persecution don't target poor but peaceful countries like Uganda or Botswana. Far easier to get to from Syria than the UK .

Anyway, returning to reality, I cannot approve of letting people drown, nor driving them back, so my only solution is for us to fully fund camps in France, or if the French prefer on whatever border the refugees turn up at.

My favoured solution is a deal with an African country that needs dollars and has spare land.

• The thing is the I think the gov are also making money out of them and paying hotels extra high prices to keep immigrants in before processing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's another mates of mates kind of deal and carefully selecting which hotels to hire. Hotels charge an extortionate fee, Gov use tax payers money to pay for it and the hotel owner gives a large donation to the Conservative party.

• If the illegal immigrants were genuine refugees they would be applying for refuge in the first country they arrive in where they are safe, not travelling across several safe haven countries to get here, as has been pointed out they have the money to pay the traffickers and also most of them will have expensive smart phones to enable them to phone contacts that will house them once they get here.

• If the illegal immigrants were genuine refugees they would be applying for refuge in the first country they arrive in where they are safe, not travelling across several safe haven countries to get here, as has been pointed out they have the money to pay the traffickers and also most of them will have expensive smart phones to enable them to phone contacts that will house them once they get here.

If they were genuine refugees they would have stopped long before Europe. Of course they is an economic factor. We are seeing those who can afford the traffickers, that does not mean they have not lost everything and fled from their country.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!