Tory MP says people should ‘stop being so sentimental’ about Syrian child refugees

• A Conservative MP has caused anger after she urged people to “stop being so sentimental” about Syrian refugees fleeing the conflict to Europe.

Pauline Latham, the MP for Mid Derbyshire, said that Syrian refugees who had made it to Europe were not under the threat and were in safe countries. She said taking in refugees was acting as “pull factor” and that it would be best for them to stay in their home region.

The comments came in a debate in the House of Commons about the Government’s closure of the Dubs scheme on child refugees. The Government had been expected to take 3,000 unaccompanied child refugees in from camps in Europe but instead closed the scheme after 350. Ministers said they believe the scheme was acting as an “incentive” for children to travel to Europe as refugees.

....Ms Latham said .........“I would like to say that although I understand the sentiments of what people say we should stop being so sentimental and we should actually be looking at what the best thing to do for these families and children [is] which is to keep them in the region – and that’s what this government are doing.”

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...cid=spartandhp

I entirely agree with this line of thought. What on earth is the point of us in taking 'refugees ' who are already in safe countries? Our taking in refugees who have got as far as Europe is totally counterproductive. We should be concentrating on helping and if necessary taking in our reasonable share of genuine refugees from countries or safe areas adjacent to war zones, not those who have managed to get 1,000 miles away and are already out of danger and fed and sheltered in Europe.

• But in effect this means that everyone gets dumped on Greece or Italy.

And if you read recent news articles about Greece's or Italy's financial situation, those countries are on the verge of exploding (or is it imploding) under all that debt.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

And if you read recent news articles about Greece's or Italy's financial situation, those countries are on the verge of exploding (or is it imploding) under all that debt.

There should be sufficient international funding for refugee camps close to Syria, closer than Greece or Italy. These places should not be hovels but reasonable temporary towns with basic amenities such as schools and health care. Nations that are largely responsible for the refugee crisis such as Russia, Turkey and Iran should primarily be responsible along with bit part players in the conflict such as ourselves.

• But the countries most closest are part of the problem.

When have you have ever seen the Arab countries put their hands into their pockets for their fellow Arab "brothers?" Never.

And how are we, in any part, responsible for this?

• Agree with Hox and I said so on another forum long ago. There were no refugee camp amenities set up in appropriate places with adequate supplies when all this hit the fan. I blame that fiendish little troll Merkel for this. She does not have a brain cell to spare. Of course refugees should be helped, but giving them freedom to enter any country and participate like nationals, often taking things out of the mouths of needy nationals is insane. (No comment, of course they are insane.)

But as I said, we should be concentrating on helping and if necessary taking in our reasonable share of genuine refugees from countries or safe areas adjacent to war zones. We shouldn't be taking 'refugees' from Calais who are simply passing through countries because they think they will get a better deal here. Greece or Italy fair enough, every country can help financially to a degree and take a certain amount in if necessary. But any refugees wandering through Europe in search of the best deals aren't refugees, they are economic immigrants. Hungary has a zero refugee policy which isn't fair on other countries or genuine refugees. But anyone from Greece or Turkey has to pass through at least 2 safe countries to get there anyway.

As I understand it, refugees are given food and shelter in Turkey and Greece. By all means let's all pay a bit towards it but let's be honest here, the further away these people get from their homeland, the more likely they will want to stay permanently in countries which take them in and more and more will come under the guise of refugees.

I'm not blaming them for wanting a better life but the more there are coming to the party, the thinner the slices of cake will have to be for all of us.

• But the countries most closest are part of the problem.

When have you have ever seen the Arab countries put their hands into their pockets for their fellow Arab "brothers?" Never.

And how are we, in any part, responsible for this?

Jordan and Turkey can and do take many refugees. Unfortunately the media has focused on migrants in Europe instead.

• But as I said, we should be concentrating on helping and if necessary taking in our reasonable share of genuine refugees from countries or safe areas adjacent to war zones. We shouldn't be taking 'refugees' from Calais who are simply passing through countries because they think they will get a better deal here. Greece or Italy fair enough, every country can help financially to a degree and take a certain amount in if necessary. But any refugees wandering through Europe in search of the best deals aren't refugees, they are economic immigrants. Hungary has a zero refugee policy which isn't fair on other countries or genuine refugees. But anyone from Greece or Turkey has to pass through at least 2 safe countries to get there anyway.

As I understand it, refugees are given food and shelter in Turkey and Greece. By all means let's all pay a bit towards it but let's be honest here, the further away these people get from their homeland, the more likely they will want to stay permanently in countries which take them in and more and more will come under the guise of refugees.

I'm not blaming them for wanting a better life but the more there are coming to the party, the thinner the slices of cake will have to be for all of us.

I think there are two main issues here.

How do we deal with "normal" "refugees", such as those in Calais and come from various countries including Pakistan. And how do we deal with those coming from Syria which between them, Assad and Putin, has been destroyed.

I think for "normal refugees," I agree with you and would probably take an ever firmer line. Even those coming from Afghanistan should seek refuge in the first available safe country. The Calais thing is just a weapon the French government has been using against us and will do so again...

I have no idea why we have been pouring millions into Calais. It was not our problem. If the French have open borders, that's there choice. What's it got to do with us? Many of the refugees there were migrants from Africa. It's not out problem.

Those coming from Syria is another matter.

Countries close to Syria don't give a damn. When has any Arab country put their hands into their pockets for their fellow Arab brothers??

So, either we take our "share" of the refugees in, which is what the EU/Merkel wanted, or we keep the refugees as close to Syria as possible.

So, if we don't want to take in large numbers of people and I don't think there is an appetitive in our country to do so, I think we really need to step up support for Greece and Italy and keep all the refugees there which will be made ten times worse once the EU/Turkey deal collapses.

I think we need to be compassionate to those fleeing from war torn countries as they have suffered horrors which hopefully we'll never experience. But separate that issue from one of essentially economic migration.

• But as I said, we should be concentrating on helping and if necessary taking in our reasonable share of genuine refugees from countries or safe areas adjacent to war zones. We shouldn't be taking 'refugees' from Calais who are simply passing through countries because they think they will get a better deal here. Greece or Italy fair enough, every country can help financially to a degree and take a certain amount in if necessary. But any refugees wandering through Europe in search of the best deals aren't refugees, they are economic immigrants. Hungary has a zero refugee policy which isn't fair on other countries or genuine refugees. But anyone from Greece or Turkey has to pass through at least 2 safe countries to get there anyway.

We're paying Turkey and who knows how long that the EU/Turkey deal will last and then we're back to square one.

Yes, of course Jordan has taken in lots, I agree. But if they were "more" agreeable, all of the refugees could've been temporarily housed in Jordan with international support, but its not want the Jordanians want. And, as I said, where are the other Arab countries in this this?. Nowhere of course

• There obviously needs to be some sort of UN co-ordinated plan to deal with this problem. Merkel actually stating that she would take a million refugees added to the difficulties and the number of those coming to Europe. It's obvious that we cannot cope with vast numbers in a short time even if we were willing to put in extra funding. Another point which should be made is that these refugees are expected to return to their own countries when peace is restored if possible.

Secondly, they can't all expect to be provided with permanent homes if we haven't got them for our own. There is no reason why temporary well run and equipped camps cannot be set up for refugees. This would hopefully encourage them to return home as soon as possible too.

I'm all for compassion where it's needed but we must not let ourselves be taken advantage of at the expense of our own.

• I agree and without side-lining the thread and make it all about Merkel, she exasperated the problem with her open invitation to the Syrian refugees and not for compassionate reasons but for pure German self interest. If that flood of refugees hadn't moved across Europe and had been contained within Greece and/or Italy, it would have been better for everyone, including the Germans.

Now there are millions of refugees spread over god's knows where and who knows whether ISIS has infuriated some of these groups. Now all we need is the "icing" on the cake and Turkey to renege on his deal.