White House bans certain news media from briefing

• The White House has barred several major broadcasters and newspapers from attending an informal press briefing.

The BBC, CNN, the New York Times and others were excluded from an audience with Press Secretary Sean Spicer, with no reason given.

It came hours after President Donald Trump delivered another attack on the media in a speech, saying that "fake news" was the "enemy of the people".
    He has previously singled out CNN and the New York Times for criticism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39085235

I don't blame Trump for excluding the members of the press who won't report what is said accurately and publish unfounded drivel. If our politicians showed the same the same courage, the Daily Mail, which Trump also excluded, would go out of business as a newspaper within a month and become even more of a gossip magazine than it is now.

I've always had the impression that the BBC is biased on certain issues, anti Israel, anti Farage and UKIP, pro the EU, and I would certainly add anti Trump to that list.

• Serves them right. I nearly fell off the chair laughing the other day when I saw a question session with Trump and one of the journos got up and said something so Trump asked him which he was from. He said "The BBC" and Trump said, "Oh, another beauty!" (To much background laughter.)

• Well, we mentioned this originally in the "Trump, nutter with nukes thread" which I've copied over to this forum and my view has only hardened, in regards to Trump and the media, since then. I don't like the way this is going....

Trump can certainly bring the media to task of misreporting of events, has there been any....? To ban news organisations though, because they are critical of him, sets a dangerous precedent. I don't like it.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I blame the way politics has gone. Politics (see my blog entry), is unfit for purpose. It has become the platform for wealthy wannabes to take control of nuclear arsenals, social issues, immigration, industry and education. It's a sneaky form of fascism and it brooks no opposition. Most of the candidates today are inept but they get in either because they are the wealthy nepotistic individuals of established dynasties or they have some mad axe to grind that is based in mob hysteria and governed by social media mentality.

As far as I am concerned, politics is not only dead, it is dangerous in a way that puts in into a new context and turns whole countries into twitter fests and soap operas.

• The media exist fundamentally because of their customers - blame CNN, NY Times etc. for bias if you wish but really they are voicing their customers viewpoint. I thought Trump wanted to be president for all Americans and not just those that agree with him?

• Actually, I think he does want to be Prez for all Americans. I think his problem with the media is simply one that has existed to the annoyance of many but none have ever had the cheek to say so, to criticise the worst aspects of the modern media and finally to tell them that if they can't behave they can take a hike.

Trump reminds me a lot of the way things were and I suspect that because a lot of younger people do not know anything about the way things were, they have become accustomed to whining and mewling about anything that makes them uncomfortable, like discipline, hard work, behaving yourself, taking responsibility, etc. The majority of well off young people have no experience of what it means when someone says "No." Their lives are all full of "Yes, darling, beauteous creature of my amazing loins."

For the many who fall outside of this privileged group, for all the poor kids, the unwanted folk with the "wrong" credentials and philosophy, for all the dissenters to the global multiculti and for all those whose lives don't just consist of one giant party and seemingly endless supplies of cash, Trump has struck a chord.

For all the old "space cowboys" he just sounds like the way things were, and the way things were might have had a few things that needed throwing out (my generation threw them out and that accounts for all the freedom the moaners are enjoying today, actually) but there were things that needed to stay. The following indulgent techno yobs threw the rest out of the window and began the true descent of modern civilization into the bog of hedonism and Après moi, le déluge.

I think the media rejection will die down and things will return to a more rational level. Trump seems to be making certain that the media that covers significant issues, like the government, are not going to do this in the manner of a Facebook bitch slapping contest or a tabloid rumour-laden, innuendo laced opinion.

Mostly so far, it seems that the generations of self oriented love bunnies just don't like it uppem.

• Well I'm not a great consumer of mainstream media but they still seem to be going on about the inauguration photos, partly because Mr Trump won't leave it alone. He shouldn't care about stuff like that, the photos don't lie and it's entirely normal anyway for the more left of centre types to get higher attendance since right wingers are usually out working etc. etc.... Hopefully he will get over his popularity obsession and focus more on his job. No politician will ever get 100% approval, most of them don't expect it - the only parallel I can think of of a politician that wanted to be loved is Tony Blair...

• Well I'm not a great consumer of mainstream media but they still seem to be going on about the inauguration photos, partly because Mr Trump won't leave it alone. He shouldn't care about stuff like that, the photos don't lie and it's entirely normal anyway for the more left of centre types to get higher attendance since right wingers are usually out working etc. etc.... Hopefully he will get over his popularity obsession and focus more on his job. No politician will ever get 100% approval, most of them don't expect it - the only parallel I can think of of a politician that wanted to be loved is Tony Blair...

He's a narcissist, he'll never get over it....

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.