• In my household there was a discussion on this and I won it and my managed to persuade my relative not to get one. The question I posed to them was "what do you want it for and what will you do with it?" Which they did not answer, so that ended that...:)

Clearly, this is the future. Google have made no secret that all our searches into their search engine is in fact programing their AI for there future AI led gadgets, so these clever gadgets are the way to go, but I pose the same question to you Morgan. What do you do with it?

• Well in my case it's more of a toy than a useful office item but - In the morning I can get the headlines as I'm getting dressed. I can and do use the calendar for what's we are doing that day. It will answer virtually any general knowledge question, maths question, consult Wiki for me. If for instance I wanted to know the square root of 123 it will tell me instantly it's 11.09. If I'm having a debate on a forum and want to know the population density of France I now know it's 301 per.sq.m. without leaving this page. ( I've just asked those questions and they are the answers I got.)

Plus I've joined Amazon music so can ask it to play music of every genre and every recording artist from the 20s -30s ( And before for all I know.) to today's hits.

It's not very good on finding local restaurants ( I should imagine that's down to the advertising.) but new skills are being added all the time.

It's brilliant and I've said elsewhere, although it can't do the housework it does have one big advantage over the wife. I can tell it to shut up and it does. ;)

• Of course in sci-fi they've been talking about this kind of thing for decades.

I think for me, I'll probably wait a few years and let the technology mature a bit, then revisit the idea of purchasing it or something similar.

It does sound interesting!

• Google's at it now:
    =====

Google Home, the search giant's smart assistant that rivals Amazon's Alexa, will be launched in the UK in April.

Google said it had "hidden a few British treats" in the device.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39417474
    ====

Wonder what "treats" they have in store for us?

A little concerned about their wifi service. Their street mapping cars "accidentally" collected all our wifi data when all their cars came round. Now they have a wifi service...

• ====

Wonder what "treats" they have in store for us?

Now they have a wifi service...

It's in direct communication with the local council so some pebble lensed Arthur Pewty type can listen in on your most private conversations. LOL.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I know it's a old story now Heero, but do you reckon Google "accidentally" collected our wifi data?

They're meant to be taking pictures of streets, that;s rather different to having equipment that can capture wifi info.

• I know it's a old story now Heero, but do you reckon Google "accidentally" collected our wifi data?

They're meant to be taking pictures of streets, that;s rather different to having equipment that can capture wifi info.

It wouldn't surprise me if they deliberately collected this data, probably the fact that it's there rather than actual login details. So long as you have the encryption on I doubt the informaton is of use. Maybe once VM roll out their hot-spot stuff and BT then they might add the info to the maps so you can see if there's public Wi-Fi in the place you want to visit?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif