Are UFOs and Aliens real?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • There's currently a series on Radio 4 called 'The Immortals'. It's about current plans upon how to vastly extend our lives or even make us immortal!

If this doesn't extend life long enough for us (or them) to be able to travel such long distances before dying they might send some people who will have children who will grow up on the spacecraft and be taught about what needs to be done.

The trouble is that, by the time they return, most people who saw the expedition set off will have died!

There are moral implications to extending life, whether permanently or not, and of rearing children in such a way without the as yet unborn individuals having any say or choice in the matter though.

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up on that, Richard. I'll look that series up.

• Supposedly, on the body fluids thing, something new I've come across over the last year or so, is that they use our body fluids as a form of skin cream which is their way of feeding.

I wonder if they've got some sort of anti-fat bastard cream?

I'll take 2 jars. 😱👽😂😂

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• And to add to that, to detect a signal from another civilisation would be very slim.

By the time any such signal reaches us, those who sent it would be long gone.

Also consider that we are listening for signals with our tech.

Meanwhile, an advanced civilization have developed completely different signalling tech.

Compare - a lost Amazon tribe might communicate with drums.

If they hear no drums, they might think they are alone in the world...

..even though the air is full of radio waves they can't detect.

• Must we have repeated snide political comments in a thread way outside the realm of politics?

I am a floating voter and find it both unnecessary & distracting.

I assume that was aimed at my post Richard?

The problem is politics is everywhere and controls everything in our world.

If there is tangible evidence of visits by and contact with alien life then politicians and the military will know about it. Politicians will decide what is kept secret and what isn’t.

My remark about aliens being in positions of power in the political sphere was tongue in cheek but it would explain why everything is kept secret don’t you think?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Compare - a lost Amazon tribe might communicate with drums.

If they hear no drums, they might think they are alone in the world...

Were they wor drums, or have they got their own ?

🤣🤣 sorry guys hard to take this seriously.

• Good point, Tarragon. But I still feel se are mad to send signals indicating our presence when we don't know what's out there.

And then there's those Voyager probes with a map of how to find us

The staff here send me bizarre messages I'm barred from replying to and now I'm blocked from starting new conversations. icon_rolleyes.gif

This place could have been good but 'could' is so last tense. I'll be back, maybe but no one hold their breath.

• I think I read somewhere, that it will actually take thousands of years for the voyager probes to truly exit our solar system, so the chance of them coming into contact with someone/something else, is slim.

• Talking about Voyager I have a digital version of what was recorded on the Golden Record. It's really interesting hearing all the different voices and languages along with the choice of audio tracks used.

Voyager-Golden-Record-40th-Anniversary-Edition-20.jpg

Voyager-Golden-Record-40th-Anniversary-Edition-26.jpg

Voyager-Golden-Record-40th-Anniversary-Edition-25.jpg

• I think I read somewhere, that it will actually take thousands of years for the voyager probes to truly exit our solar system, so the chance of them coming into contact with someone/something else, is slim.

Depends on the definition of solar system used. Voyager 1 has been in inter stellar space for over 10 years now.

As NASA say:

'In August 2012, Voyager 1 became the first spacecraft to cross into interstellar space.

However, if we define our solar system as the Sun and everything that primarily orbits the Sun, Voyager 1 will remain within the confines of the solar system until it emerges from the Oort cloud in another 14,000 to 28,000 years.'

In Depth | Voyager 1 – NASA Solar System Exploration
    No spacecraft has gone farther than Voyager 1. The spacecraft is currently exploring a transitional zone between our solar system and interstellar space.
    solarsystem.nasa.gov

The staff here send me bizarre messages I'm barred from replying to and now I'm blocked from starting new conversations. icon_rolleyes.gif

This place could have been good but 'could' is so last tense. I'll be back, maybe but no one hold their breath.

• Yes it depends where you define the 'edge of the solar system'.

The voyagers are passing the 'heliopause'.

My fun prediction is that the first race to find voyager 1/2 will be.... humans, when we catch up to them with faster spacecraft.

• There's nothing we can do about the outgoing signals. Ever since Marconi we've been blasting out radio waves at the speed of light, and there's no way to retrieve them or clean them up.

But that's now a redundant worry anyway - we ourselves are already using a far better method of looking for life - by analyzing the composition of the atmospheres of distant planets. No radio or other signals required.

• I think you make some valid points here but there are two theories that you have not touched on as far as I know.

First is the dying planet theory, the advanced extraterrestrials have either exhausted their own habitat or for some other reason such as their equivalent of a nuclear holocaust caused by geopolitical conflict, they have been forced to leave their planet in search of a new home. This assumes our environment is suitable for sustaining their lives of course. They could be simply doing reconnaissance to establish what they would need to do to kill of humans knit leave Earth in a fit state for them to move in.

Second theory is the “Independence Day” theory. This following the general plot of the movie where the Aliens are just mining planets for their resources and they just want to Brute Force us to get what they want. I guess you could also call it the “Avatar” theory only that was humans doing it to a far away planet but same thing really.

Perhaps the aliens are already here and have started to undermine the geopolitical stability of the planet as part of a softening up exercise?

Oh there are many theories, and I can't do them all justice in a series of 3-parag posts when the subject is enough for an entire semester of space science lectures!

Dying Planet.

For an ET society to be coming for our planet would need a lot of coincidences - 1) they didn't die out from the shortages in the first place. 2) they for some reason can't 'refuel' from other planets/moons/asteroids in their own system. 3) They have mismanaged themselves to the bring of extinction. 4) Despite home management incompetence, they have developed FTL spacetravel. 5) For some reason our polluted and depleted planet has what they need. 6) We are the nearest and best option for them to take over. 7) Somehow it is would their time and resources to travel all the way here. Eight) Somehow their FTL-grade science has not come up with equally sci-fi ways to manage resource production/synthesis/recycling. 9)Their crisis just happens to be happening at this tiny window in the history of the universe when we happen to be sentient but earthbound.

It all adds up to a huge failure both of probability and of understanding of the galaxy and its dimensions and content.

I do enjoy the thought as well that the aliens 'are here' but sneakily spying on us, trying to stay out of sight, probing us, softening us up.. WHY? By definition they are hugely more advanced than us, so why not just take what they want or invade us now? If you turned up with an assault rifle at the amazon tribe, you would not need to spy on them or soften them up before stealing their precious, erm.. beads? unobtainium?

• There's nothing we can do about the outgoing signals. Ever since Marconi we've been blasting out radio waves at the speed of light, and there's no way to retrieve them or clean them up. . . .

The BBC are regretting screening Mars Attacks you say?

• There's nothing we can do about the outgoing signals. Ever since Marconi we've been blasting out radio waves at the speed of light, and there's no way to retrieve them or clean them up.

But that's now a redundant worry anyway - we ourselves are already using a far better method of looking for life - by analyzing the composition of the atmospheres of distant planets. No radio or other signals required.

It is still a worry in that hostile aliens may pick up the signals we have already sent in years to come and decide to take up the challenge.

• That's what Steven Hawking was worried about.

Yes it depends where you define the 'edge of the solar system'.

The voyagers are passing the 'heliopause'.

My fun prediction is that the first race to find voyager 1/2 will be.... humans, when we catch up to them with faster spacecraft.

Or even more fun, like in the first Star Trek film, we come across Vger. :)

• It is still a worry in that hostile aliens may pick up the signals we have already sent in years to come and decide to take up the challenge.

Breathe. :saint:

In the timeframe of your life, there are FAR greater risks to humanity than hostile aliens -

the risks from destruction from asteroid impacts, viral pandemics or loony dictators with nukes are thousands if not millions of times greater.

• BBC News - Alien life in Universe: Scientists say finding it is 'only a matter of time'

Alien life in Universe: Scientists say finding it is 'only a matter of time'
    Experts are optimistic of detecting life signs on a faraway world within our lifetimes - possibly in the next few years.
    www.bbc.co.uk

As the old saying goes " you should be careful what you wish for".

Are they so cock sure that 1, they'll be friendly, 2, welcoming

3, not technically or militarily far superior to us 4, our ability to defend ourselves

5, that the majority of the world population wants this.

Egotistical idiots.

• I think they're talking of life as in single cell forms and so distant it may have died out by the time we observe the spectra that indicates it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!