What is the point of the Oscars?

• Sky's US correspondent has neutralised some of the guff that has issued forth from that entity over the past few weeks and asked a pertinent question, plus brought into focus a celeb fest that has long since staggered past its sell by date: "What is the point of the Oscars?"

link

• Greg Milam had no sooner mentioned this designer fancy dress parade at the Oscars than Meryl Streep has uttered her dismay at Karl Lagerfeld's heartless comment that she might have been paid to wear a "gown". Lagerfeld had to apologise (the mean spirited nasty bigot! sniff, sniff) as his comment went viral and now everyone thinks Meryl is that thing that rhymes with tanker.

"The story was picked up globally, and continues, globally, to overwhelm my appearance at the Oscars, on the occasion of my record-breaking 20th nomination, and to eclipse this honour in the eyes of the media, my colleagues and the audience."

link

Forgive me, but ...

• Looks like the organiser can't get anything right from checking correct names, to making sure the correct envelope is used. Good job that organiser isn't responsible for auditing the accounts of many of the world's top companies'....

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Time for Americans to put up or shut up.

I like Greg Milam, he has more than one brain cell.

Link

• After last year's "envelope gate" I wonder if they'll actually announce the correct winner this year??^^

Anyone else going to watch the Oscars?

• The Shape of Water, a film about a woman and an amphibious creature, has won top honours at the Oscars.

Frances McDormand won best actress for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and persuaded every female nominee to stand with her in a night full of statements about inclusion.

Britain's Gary Oldman was named best actor for playing Winston Churchill in World War Two epic Darkest Hour.

Well, they opened the correct envelopes this time around. The full list of winners is here.

I have to say, although not seen it, that The Shape of Water doesn't appeal to me at all. Is this something you might watch.

Glad Gary Oldman won a award and I hope to watch his film at some point, but I'm not overly enthused by the list of films that were nominated and won awards. Apart from Churchill and Dunkirk, there is not much that I want to see.

Which of the nominated films have you seen or hope to see?

• Why is is that almost all the female film stars look great on the silver screen but look like death-warmed-up casting-couch hookers at the awards ceremony? If they had looked like that in Harvey Weinstein's penthouse they would have been quite safe

Also .....

..... many of them have speech notes. Does that mean they know in advance they've won? Or does it mean they have to be prepared to give a breathless excited thank you speech if they are nominated. Either way, that's Hollywood for you , soooo spontaneous.

• I don't think they know beforehand, no. Otherwise it would leak out who won. Can you imagine any of them keeping a secret for longer than 5 minutes?