The Great Debate about the BBC and Licence Fee

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Channel 4 has an evening dedicated to black people next week, on Friday.

I agree, it’s ludicrous. The media should be inclusive and not separate out programmes into black programmes and white programmes. It’s the thin end of the wedge.

When do we get our ‘white’ evening? Who on Earth is making these decisions?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• And what about Chinese, Russian and Polish as we have mix of everyone in this country. I watched a documentary on Bob Marley the other day that I enjoyed but I would also be happy to watch a documentary on Neil Young if there was one. I would be just as happy watching Eddy Murphy doing stand up comedy as much as I would Jim Davidson but I want a mix of things and not completely one sided. The thing is they do all this kind of stuff to try and make folk inclusive but it actually has the opposite effect and causes more division. It's quite simple I wont be watching the majority of Channel 4 that week unless there is a particular programme that captures my interest otherwise it may build up hatred or the very least a dislike and anger within me. All they are doing is throwing fuel on the fire and when we live in a predominately White country it's going to be seen as an invasive force trying to turn us into something we are not.

• I saw that Bob Marley programme, I think it was on BBC4.

I agree with what you say and it's probably not black people who are doing it on Radio 4, it'll be white virtue signalling folk erroneously thinking it's the way to do these things.

• To my mind, the range of programming we are presented with on our channels should be a diverse mix, but generally in line with the culture of this country and the expectations of the whole audience.

There is no reason why the non-white population cannot have their own channels dedicated to them, but I have to say that my black friends never watched BET and always seem to prefer watching the kind of programmes we watch. The woke brigade don’t seem to appreciate that people from other cultures and races do not necessarily want the kind of accommodations made for them by people who actually don’t know how they think.

BET was never a commercial success in this country, whereas those people whose native language is not English will often tend to watch channels that are in their own language. Hence the relative popularity of the Asian channels, for example. My Italian friend does like his Italian channels, despite speaking fluent English.

Let minority groups have their own channels if they want them, but please spare us the corruption of the PSB channels for the benefit of these minority groups.

This pandering to a very small minority who enjoy being pandered to looks like being imposed on the streaming services as well if Ofcom has its way. Beware this ‘level playing field’ that will contaminate the services that many are paying for to get away from all this nonsense.

• Adverts, Tv Dramas and News programmes all seem to have token Blacks, Homosexuals and Asians. There's nothing wrong with that provided they are first class at their job. ----BUT -- It's demeaning to those people just to be selected to be in a TV programme to satisfy a Box-Ticking quota.

• Adverts, Tv Dramas and News programmes all seem to have token Blacks, Homosexuals and Asians. There's nothing wrong with that provided they are first class at their job. ----BUT -- It's demeaning to those people just to be selected to be in a TV programme to satisfy a Box-Ticking quota.

If the presence of a black person is historically inaccurate to the show I simply won’t watch it. “Mis-racing” a historic character is unacceptable. Not sure what is being attempted by such actions but I will simply switch off as soon as I see it. If white actors played well known black characters from history there would be uproar.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Maybe those black actors should ‘white themselves up’ so we can submit complaints to Ofcom that white people are being grossly offended by these people who are deliberately making fun of us.

• If the presence of a black person is historically inaccurate to the show I simply won’t watch it.

This is how I felt about that Anne Boleyn thing they where heavily advertising. What a complete joke. They may as well have had Lenny Henry play the part and advertise it as a comedy show.

• If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em! Channel 4 is looking to establish a global AVOD streamer.

I’m not absolutely sure about this strategy - do they have enough material to add for people to want to watch it?

I thought the strategy was for Britbox to get all the terrestrial programming after it was aired in the UK. To me, that sounds a better option, because all of Britain’s terrestrial content from its main channels could be placed there. That would make a terrific library of content.

Channel 4 plans global AVOD service
    UK broadcaster Channel 4 is planning to launch a new international AVOD streaming service. The as-yet-unnamed streamer would form part of the company’s plans…
    www.digitaltveurope.com

• Well, Channel 4 do advertise themselves as having more free VOD material than anyone else in the UK so I do think that they'll have enough material to fill it.

I wonder if they plan to raise revenue by making this pay or if it will be free with adverts & pay without?

• They do have quite a bit of material, but nowhere near enough to compete seriously with the other global streamers.

Still, it’ll be a free site, so as long as they get more than they spend in advertising revenue, I’m sure they will be happy.

• Folks, I'm changing this thread back to it's original purpose which was to discuss the future of the BBC and licence fee.

Although I thought having a central thread on all things to do with the future of tv was a good idea, there are just too many different topics in here, which are interchangeable, but really do need their own topics.

I'll rename the thread by the end of the week and possibly move some posts out of this thread elsewhere.

• Horizon

Changed the title of the thread from “The Future of TV” to “The Great Debate about the BBC and Licence Fee”.
  • To return to the original topic, I get an email weekly from Kelvin MacKenzie (A spokesman Said), he of Sun column fame and below is an extract relating to the BBC licence:

Let's see if she can clip the BBC's wings.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• The BBC needs to be defunded from the public purse. It no longer represents the majority of the British people. It's the organ of the weird and anti- British minority.. ... It represents all that is wrong in our society namely :- Wokeism, Marxism, anti- White racism and left wing Fascism.

The sooner THE BBC is made to fund it'self, the sooner it will have to represent the majority or die.

• To return to the original topic, I get an email weekly from Kelvin MacKenzie (A spokesman Said), he of Sun column fame and below is an extract relating to the BBC licence:

Let's see if she can clip the BBC's wings.

I'll state straight away, I can't stand her, oh and by the way thanks for that Heero :thumbup: but it's clear that despite all the media commentators saying that Boris' wife is in control and running things and she likes the BBC etc etc, this is as clear a move as it can be, that the government is going after the BBC.

I can't speak about Dowden, as I've not been following politics closely in recent times, but John Whittingdale was excellent and very knowable about the media industry, but also he tended to lean towards being very pro BBC, which is why both of them have gone, I assume.

For transparency, I will state that I do "watch" more BBC programmes than anyone else, but that's only because I need to have on the TV dementia friendly shows like Antique's Roadshow, Escape to the Country etc. Basically, anything that isn't noisy, violent and has nice images in it, especially of the countryside. But for me specifically, I don't watch anything on the BBC, because there isn't anything of value to me on their channels apart from the odd drama.

There needs to be change and Lineker’s sun tanned, crinkled, smug face, needs sorting out, preferably with losing his very lucrative contract. But what that change is, I'm still on the fence about.

• The BBC needs to be defunded from the public purse. It no longer represents the majority of the British people. It's the organ of the weird and anti- British minority.. ... It represents all that is wrong in our society namely :- Wokeism, Marxism, anti- White racism and left wing Fascism.

The sooner THE BBC is made to fund it'self, the sooner it will have to represent the majority or die.

I was trying to find something to disagree with there, to give balance to the conversation, except I can't. In fact I'll go one step further, they seem almost anti-British, shoving alien and foreign ways down our throats, against what the majority want.

• We only watch a couple of things on the BBC: Saturday Kitchen and the best bites show on Sunday. Given up on the news and breakfast show (banal) in favor of the Sky News offering. Contryfile has gone completely woke but had been going down hill for ages.

Food Network and the Smithsonian channel are the main viewing other than downloads and DVD. Both being FTA I'm considering dumping the Virgin TV offering. We would lose some HD channels but the TV does a good job of upscaling SD content.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/…chief-given-75k-pay-rise/

Well, he deserves it, doesn't he? :whistling: The BBC put on such quality programmes all the time, so he deserves every penny...

I’ve recorded their new series ‘Vigil’, but from what I’ve heard it is a woke drama which is nothing like an accurate depiction of the life of those manning a submarine.

I’ll give it a go in the hope that the critics are wrong, but if the BBC persists with their woke agenda, more and more people will desert the broadcaster, no matter how prominent their position in the EPGs and on the streamers.

• If you get the time OB, check out the select committee featuring Davie. It's on iplayer and it was on about a week ago.

He maybe supposedly conservative, but he has gone "native" and all in on the woke agenda, as far as I'm concerned. He, like his predecessors, is obsessed with having quotas of people from certain backgrounds. Doesn't matter whether they are qualified or not, just whether they have the "right" skin colour, or disability etc.

He mentioned Vigil in front of the MPs, so the very fact he was so proud of it, put me off it straight away!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!