The Great Debate about the BBC and Licence Fee

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • You are mostly referring to BBC1, but the other BBC channels still have some very good documentaries. I'm very glad that someone has stated how they feel about having black people cast in white roles. When it occurs in an historical drama, it just makes an absolute nonsense of it.

I find myself resorting to watching the golden oldies channels, nothing but white folks, little violence and no bad language.

• You are mostly referring to BBC1, but the other BBC channels still have some very good documentaries. I'm very glad that someone has stated how they feel about having black people cast in white roles. When it occurs in an historical drama, it just makes an absolute nonsense of it.

I find myself resorting to watching the golden oldies channels, nothing but white folks, little violence and no bad language.

Ooh, careful, Suzie, the wokes might exercise their right to be offended! :D

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I just watched a good programme on BBC2 about the climate with Ade whatever his name is, the black guy in a wheelchair. Now coming to the end of watching the fishermen in Padstow. BBC4 is my favourite BBC channel especially the music documentaries.

• I see the Beeb is bigging itself up again. Tim Davie waxing lyrical about its ‘achievements’ and noting its ‘impartial news’ reporting. That bit did make me laugh!

BBC DG highlights licence fee role
    As the BBC prepares to mark its centenary with a year of special programming across all its channels and platforms, director general Tim Davie has delivered a s
    advanced-television.com

• I don't care how the BBC dress it up. They are a highly inefficient organisation funded by mandatory taxation which has no future. The answer is to defund the BBC and let them compete fairly against the other broadcasters to earn their income. :)

• I'm looking forward to seeing their anniversary programmes.

Be ready for an avalanche of "classic" repeats dressed up as another chance to be entertained by <insert past glory>

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• And here's the proof they work for the state. Note they have a get out clause that does not fall under the Freedom of Information act. How can we trust the news when they are in the bed with the government.

BBC live aerial cameras routinely filming the streets of London

BBC live aerial cameras routinely filming the streets of London
    On the 14th of August a man decided to run his car into the central reservation near the UK parliament building.  He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of…
    stateofsurveillance.com

• The BBC botched their transition to IPTV by withdrawing one lone channel from their linear offering and putting that on line.

This effectively ‘disappeared’ BBC3, which no longer featured in any listings magazines or EPGs. The transition was premature and not properly thought through.

The Beeb after six years has at last admitted its mistake and restored the channel to EPGs. It starts broadcasting again on 1 February.

Will this endear the younger audience to the BBC? I’m not so sure. I think most young people were already disaffected by the time they reached their late teens, preferring to get their screen time through YouTube and social media.

1st February relaunch for BBC Three | RXTV info
    Following the first test transmissions, the BBC confirms BBC Three will relaunch on the 1st February 2022. Live football will feature on three of the first…
    rxtvinfo.com

• Bizarre.

The don't have enough decent shows for their main channels, let alone this one.

• I think the licence fee is good value for money. How many subscriber channels would give you all this for 43p a day?

licence-fee.jpg

some people only want the bbc defunded for political reasons. the bbc is protected by a royal charter which means the hard right control it completely. they brand it as being biased when it isnt.

• I think the licence fee is good value for money. How many subscriber channels would give you all this for 43p a day?

That's a fair point, but another one would be, how many of those services do people actually watch/listen to?

some people only want the bbc defunded for political reasons. the bbc is protected by a royal charter which means the hard right control it completely. they brand it as being biased when it isnt.

It is and talking of which, there is actually a Select Committee investiation into BBC impartiality at the moment. Just caught a bit on BBC Parliament today. I haven't got time to watch all the stuff, but if anyone else does, I would be interested in their opinions.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60014514

So, at least according to her, the licence fee is frozen for a few years and she reckons by 2027, no more licence fee.

What do we think of this?

The licence fee is outdated and needs to be replaced. Once BBC is only viewable via IPTV, it needs to change to a subscription model. It should not be compulsory for everyone who has a TV to pay the licence fee, regardless as to whether or not they watch or listen to the BBC.

licence-fee.jpg

The hard right control it? Then how do you explain the woke and Leftie BBC News?

I don’t know how forcing people to pay for the Beeb whether they consume its output or not can be considered acceptable.

• The licence fee is outdated and needs to be replaced. Once BBC is only viewable via IPTV, it needs to change to a subscription model. It should not be compulsory for everyone who has a TV to pay the licence fee, regardless as to whether or not they watch or listen to the BBC.

I'll come back to this tomorrow, OB. Get ready! :whistling:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!