The Great Debate about the BBC and Licence Fee

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The BBC as we know it would not survive without the current funding

Quality TV as we know it from the BBC's rivals would significantly degrade if the BBC as we know it were removed.

• Sorry mate, I don't see that. Amazon, netflix etc etc don't produce what they produce because of the BBC.

If it produced quality it would get subscriptions. Of course it wouldn't be the same as we know it, that's the point.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• We are talking about other people's money, at the very least give them a choice, is that so hard for you to grasp.

• The BBC is a disgrace. 437,000 people stopped paying for the TV licence in 2023.

Anyone who pays it does not hold to principles of right and wrong. They just do not care or are scared or unable to stand against the TV licensing authority.

I know many people who DO NOT want the license, but they pay it because of the authoritative feeling of control such a large institution has - is perceived to have.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• We are talking about other people's money, at the very least give them a choice, is that so hard for you to grasp.

As I said put it to the electorate then. But guess what, no sensible political party has or will because they know they'd lose.

• Why is it win Vs lose, surely the answer is yes Vs no.

At worst the BBC may have to become a charity that produces TV programmes.

• Don't hold your breath waiting for any serious party to campaign on a 'we will reduce the BBC to a charity' platform.

They know it's a stupid idea the electorate do not want, maybe you could try catching up with them.

• OH forgive me MR YOUGOV but I honestly didn't know that your crystal balls were a window to the views of the British Electorate.

It's only a stupid idea because you don't like it, who are you anyway Steve Bray?

• OH forgive me MR YOUGOV but I honestly didn't know that your crystal balls were a window to the views of the British Electorate.

It's only a stupid idea because you don't like it, who are you anyway Steve Bray?

Please say when you want to debate like a grown up, in the meantime DNFTTing applies

• You said the electorate don't want it, so how do you know?

No survey supports such. No serious political party supports such. It's not rocket science to draw the obvious conclusion.

Ask people if they want the BBC service substantially as now for free they will of course tend to say yes but then someone else has to pay.

• Why does it have to be as now?

A large proportion of the public disagree with the compulsory nature of the licence fee, any misrepresentation that you make reflects badly on the question in the first place. People clearly need to be informed of the consequences of removing the licence fee. My point is simple ask them, instead of debating it you spout

No survey supports such. No serious political party supports such. It's not rocket science to draw the obvious conclusion

If we take that attitude to our debates here Horizon is clearly wasting his time. We aren't gonna influence Israel but you harp on, we aren't gonna influence Trump but you harp on, so what's the point.

• I did, but try proving that to the BBC.

Why do you suppose the BBC don't know that? They even detail the point https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51376255

'By law, each household in the UK has to pay the licence fee - with some exemptions - if they:

• watch or record programmes as they're being shown live on any TV channel
    • watch programmes live on any online TV service - for instance, Channel 4, YouTube, or Amazon Prime Video
    • download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer'
  • Why do you suppose the BBC don't know that? They even detail the point https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51376255

'By law, each household in the UK has to pay the licence fee - with some exemptions - if they:

• watch or record programmes as they're being shown live on any TV channel
    • watch programmes live on any online TV service - for instance, Channel 4, YouTube, or Amazon Prime Video
    • download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer'

As I think you already know, the BBC keep hounding people who don’t have a licence. That is what we are referring to.

• Probably because so many people lie that they don't have to have one when they do.

You know the sort of people that spout all sorts of stories on internet forums about how bad BBC programmes are and then say they never watch the BBC so won't pay the licence fee.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!