The Great Debate about the BBC and Licence Fee

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • What about those who are not cheating? Why should they be hounded with monotonous regularity?

The suggestion is that we replace it with a better system and one people will think is fair.

• At worst the BBC may have to become a charity that produces TV programmes.

Now there's a thought. What the BBC needs is more government oversight and control over it. They could start by putting a maximum limit on how much presenters get paid. There should also be more allowances for those who don't have as much money when it comes to paying for the license. There's plenty of OAPs who are sitting on a tonne of wealth but there's also many that have nothing and the TV maybe the only companion they have in life with a window to the outer world. There's needs to be some kind of means testing. THe TV license goons also need removing as the way they hunt down and intimidate the elderly is disgusting. There needs to be some kind of independent non private enforcement. It woukd probaly be far simpler if the license was removed and it simply came out the tax payers pot.

• If you own a car but do not drive a Ford - a Toyota - a Citroen - a BMW - a Nissan - a Skoda, et al.

As a Land Rover owner, you do not have to write and inform the above motor producers why you do not prefer their model. Especially with the threat of physical harm as an underlying back-up tool.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• Now there's a thought. What the BBC needs is more government oversight and control over it. They could start by putting a maximum limit on how much presenters get paid. . . .

Or in short you want to kill off the BBC as we know it.

Who would watch MOTD presented by some guy from the chip shop? Talent costs money.

• Steve

You make an assumption that it's Lineker they tune on to see when they watch MOTD, I'd argue it's the football.

But we keep going in circles, but when you say "kill off the BBC as know it" you make another assumption that people like it as it is.

How many people watched just to avoid adverts? TBF that has been helped by being able to record the programme and then whizz through them. I don't suppose figures for that are available,as it may just see that the programme was watched as opposed to recorded. For industry they will be more reliant upon actual sales figures and they aren't necessarily gonna tell them why a certain product or retailer was used.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• Lineker is a big part of that programme.

And currently most people do like the BBC as it is but guess what, everyone always finds some aspect they want improved. The issue is that the BBC audience is getting older and frankly in large numbers deader so at some point it won't have enough support to be as it is.

• Now there's a thought. What the BBC needs is more government oversight and control over it. They could start by putting a maximum limit on how much presenters get paid. There should also be more allowances for those who don't have as much money when it comes to paying for the license. There's plenty of OAPs who are sitting on a tonne of wealth but there's also many that have nothing and the TV maybe the only companion they have in life with a window to the outer world. There's needs to be some kind of means testing. THe TV license goons also need removing as the way they hunt down and intimidate the elderly is disgusting. There needs to be some kind of independent non private enforcement. It woukd probaly be far simpler if the license was removed and it simply came out the tax payers pot.

Free TV licenses for the over 75's are now effectively means tested and are only for those in receipt of Pension Credit.

• The BBC needs shutting down. Its a bloody disgrace.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• No person is obliged to explain or register the fact they do not need nor want a TV license.

I have not had one for over 20 years. It has nothing to do with the BBC or TV Licensing Authority on decisions I make in living my life.

If the BBC applied itself to the Charter, which they are required by law to adhere to, I might reconsider.

It is a biased, lefty, PC, "majority last" corrupt outfit.

I have seen more people, on this forum, express outrage at Donald Trumps - "grab em by the pussy" comment than the very serious fux ups and breaches of the Charter by the BBC. And yet they will pay £159 - soon to be £169 per year for the privilege.

• Steve

You make an assumption that it's Lineker they tune on to see when they watch MOTD, I'd argue it's the football.

But we keep going in circles, but when you say "kill off the BBC as know it" you make another assumption that people like it as it is.

How many people watched just to avoid adverts? TBF that has been helped by being able to record the programme and then whizz through them. I don't suppose figures for that are available,as it may just see that the programme was watched as opposed to recorded. For industry they will be more reliant upon actual sales figures and they aren't necessarily gonna tell them why a certain product or retailer was used.

It’s a bit more complicated than that. I don’t want the Beeb to be cut off, I just want paying for it being a choice. Is that so revolutionary?

Incidentally, the majority of people want a subscription model rather than the current compulsory licence fee.

BBC Poll Jan 2022

• When the topic (question) is about Merkel and Harry suffering a tiny setback and NOT about why young people can not afford to buy a home and plan a productive future - then you know it is a joke show.

I lost count of the number of people I have heard screaming antisemitism when they do not know what the word means and do not know where Israel is. I aint joking.

• It’s a bit more complicated than that. I don’t want the Beeb to be cut off, I just want paying for it being a choice. Is that so revolutionary?

Incidentally, the majority of people want a subscription model rather than the current compulsory licence fee.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_bbcpoll_20220124.html

But that's a poll presenting a false premise. there is no way the BBC as is could survive on a subscription service but did they ask people 'do you want a massively reduced BBC as a subscription service? No.

• But that's a poll presenting a false premise. there is no way the BBC as is could survive on a subscription service but did they ask people 'do you want a massively reduced BBC as a subscription service? No.

That doesn’t address the fact that it is not right that people should have to pay for entertainment when they don’t even benefit from it.

It intrigues me that you seem to think that most people do make use of BBC services and yet believe the subscription would be at a massively increased cost. That assumes two things. Firstly that a huge section of the population wouldn’t be prepared to subscribe, and secondly that the BBC couldn’t make any cost savings, despite the amount of waste that is not being properly addressed.

I think Netflix is a superb streaming service, but I wouldn’t ever advocate that everyone should be forced to pay for it.

• That doesn’t address the fact that it is not right that people should have to pay for entertainment when they don’t even benefit from it.

It intrigues me that you seem to think that most people do make use of BBC services and yet believe the subscription would be at a massively increased cost. That assumes two things. Firstly that a huge section of the population wouldn’t be prepared to subscribe, and secondly that the BBC couldn’t make any cost savings, despite the amount of waste that is not being properly addressed.

I think Netflix is a superb streaming service, but I wouldn’t ever advocate that everyone should be forced to pay for it.

Netflix is OK but it's nothing like representative of the BBC's service nor their audience at a roughly comparable price.

You say the BBC should make cost savings yet every time they do, people in their droves complain that the service has been cut or degraded. Maybe the BBC should go on strike saying 'well government you've cut our funding by 10% in real terms so we're turning it all off for February apart from a recorded message saying the Conservative government wanted this'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!