The Great Debate about the BBC and Licence Fee

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Steve, you are being ridiculous. The main BBC channels are general entertainment channels that contain news bulletins. Yes, there’s sports and documentaries too. General entertainment, like I said.

If you want to define it differently, be my guest. My point is the same, though. It is not an essential service, a good proportion of the population don’t want it and favour the subscription model. Why are you telling them they must pay for it, like it or not?

• I didn’t know we had so many followers on here! 😉

No, Steve: surveys indicate that the number of people who want a subscription model has grown substantially and to such an extent, the government is having to listen.

• Steve, you are being ridiculous. The main BBC channels are general entertainment channels that contain news bulletins. Yes, there’s sports and documentaries too. General entertainment, like I said.

If you want to define it differently, be my guest. My point is the same, though. It is not an essential service, a good proportion of the population don’t want it and favour the subscription model. Why are you telling them they must pay for it, like it or not?

Perhaps S13 is stirring the pot?? H'mmm!!

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• I confess to watching the BBC news . I also watch news from non- Marxist channels. It's important to listen to both sides of the stories. To listen to the BBC exclusively would be absorbing only Ultra Left propaganda designed to keep the public more and more wanting Communism.

The Voice of Reason

• I consider myself to be right of centre, but I cannot bring myself to watch GB news. Some of these people are inbreds, heinz57+++++.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• I would not watch the BBC if they paid me. Any media outlet, especially the main one that claims to represent the people of Britain, that excludes, bans, sacks people, who do not spout their narrative, is just a pile of shite, as far as I am concerned.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• I would not watch the BBC if they paid me. Any media outlet, especially the main one that claims to represent the people of Britain, that excludes, bans, sacks people, who do not spout their narrative, is just a pile of shite, as far as I am concerned.

Understood. As long as you appreciate that you are intentionally cutting yourself off from one of the most respected news outlets in the world.

I think we all agree that the Beeb is a bit skewed to the left, but you take that into account, don’t you?

If you are too focussed on social media sources, you are taking much bigger risks in trying to discover the truth.

• I think we all agree that the Beeb is a bit skewed to the left, but you take that into account, don’t you?

If you are too focussed on social media sources, you are taking much bigger risks in trying to discover the truth.

The BBC like most mainstream news outlets is all about narrative these days. They spout Op Ed’s like they are facts.

They should simply tell us what happened and let us make our own minds up about it.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Put into perspective here, the BBC is a British national broadcaster that appears to put more importance on international news than domestic. The link above describes an organisation building it's foreign reach imho at the expense of the British taxpayer.

The more I watch BBC news the more I read about their expansion into world at large, the more I'm inclined to believe that the days of the licence fee is over. WTF should the British taxpayer pay for a service that the rest of the world watches free. Are we now a global charity? Fcuk em

• Understood. As long as you appreciate that you are intentionally cutting yourself off from one of the most respected news outlets in the world.

I think we all agree that the Beeb is a bit skewed to the left, but you take that into account, don’t you?

I have survived for 25 years without the BBC. Adding up the License fee I could have paid is a substantial saving. It goes towards Car servicing. I have donated some to my "FAAAARRR""" right colleagues, fighting the cause. Now that is what I call IRONY.

• BBC World is controlled by the Government. They decide what goes on it.

• You're confusing it with the World Service

BBC World (IIRC now named as BBC News International) is what you get on your TV in hotels the world over.

• BBC World is controlled by the Government. They decide what goes on it.

No it doesn't.

bbc.com the US version of the bbc website is ad strewn and always has been as is the cable channel BBC America

As I said earlier, they appear more interested in the globalmarket status than those that fund it.

The saying on BBC news irritates the chit outs me

"Around the world and across the UK"

I even get the impression that BBC verify only fact checks what it wants to check and ATM that's the government. An example being Kuenssberg's Sunday interview with Annaliese Dodds, she stated that there is a £48bn black hole in your spending over their pledge to get rid of NI. When in fact Hunt expressed several weeks ago that at some point in the future the government would like to get rid of NI, but there was no pledge. The impartiality and fact checking is selective at best.

• BBC World Service Accountability
    FCO Ministers and the BBC World Service will annually agree performance targets based on agreed objectives and review performance and medium-term priority target audiences both by geography (eg by country) and audience segment. The World Service will advise the FCO on the competitive broadcasting environment and the effectiveness and efficiency with which it can reach these audiences. In addition the FCO and the World Service will agree and monitor World Service efficiency and effectiveness targets.

World Service Strategic: Three Year Plan
    The BBC World Service will produce and agree with the FCO a strategic Three Year Plan to deliver the agreed objectives and reach the agreed target audiences, taking account of the Whitehall planning framework. This will take account of regional strategies discussed with the FCO and agreed during the formulation of the Plan.

Review and Performance Assessment
    The FCO and World Service will meet regularly at working level. These contacts may be used to review World Service plans and performance, both by region and globally. The World Service regions and FCO geographical commands will maintain a regular dialogue which will inform the World Service of FCO thinking on the region concerned and the FCO about World Service activities.
    FCO Ministers, the Chairman of the BBC, the BBC Governor with special responsibility for the World Service and the Director World Service & Global News will meet annually to review performance against agreed objectives and targets and to consider future audience and strategic priorities. These discussions will inform the strategic Three Year Plan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!