The Great Debate about the BBC and Licence Fee

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • "Would you like the BBC to be controlled from 10 Downing St as the press is ?"

The BBC is a curious construct. We have a "company" that is funded by the State, yet not technically controlled by it. I think all the arguments over the BBC licence fee, really come about because of the BBC's bias and people have no choice but to pay for that bias, whereas with the papers, everyone is free to decide whether they want to pay for them or not.

In light of the recent and ongoing pandemic, the BBC has done a pretty good job with getting information out there, including, for better or worse, covering the government's daily virus briefing on BBC1. I can think of no commercial venture that would ever have done that. So, I've kind of swung back to the thinking that we need at least one PSB, but how that's funded and whether it should be the BBC, is another matter entirely.

• OK. Well, I'm not really surprised by that.

His Thursday evening show ended ages ago and I guess he must have still been on contract, so that's why they kept him on until now.

The duplication in the BBC is immense, ie having political editors not just for different news bulletins on tv, but other tv shows too and radio. There needs to be a mass cull, but will it be done correctly?

• The BBC is a curious construct. We have a "company" that is funded by the State, yet not technically controlled by it. I think all the arguments over the BBC licence fee, really come about because of the BBC's bias and people have no choice but to pay for that bias, whereas with the papers, everyone is free to decide whether they want to pay for them or not.

In light of the recent and ongoing pandemic, the BBC has done a pretty good job with getting information out there, including, for better or worse, covering the government's daily virus briefing on BBC1. I can think of no commercial venture that would ever have done that. So, I've kind of swung back to the thinking that we need at least one PSB, but how that's funded and whether it should be the BBC, is another matter entirely.

ITV and Sky News both covered those virus briefings, and there have been half-hour documentaries on the subject on ITV, Channel 4 and I think Channel 5 as well.

Sorry, but I don't buy the idea that the Beeb is indispensible. I have no problem with the channels continuing to exist, as long as you can opt out of paying if you don't want to use its services.

It's not only the political bias that gets to people. Not everyone likes their programmes, and the increasing political correctness being deployed by the Corporation is very off-putting for many. Maybe there should be a new channel designed to cater for the snowflakes and all that annoying stuff could be put on there. BBC Woke?

His Thursday evening show ended ages ago and I guess he must have still been on contract, so that's why they kept him on until now.

The duplication in the BBC is immense, ie having political editors not just for different news bulletins on tv, but other tv shows too and radio. There needs to be a mass cull, but will it be done correctly?

I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up on GMB

Oh, yes, and the financial waste in the BBC. Their constant bleats of hardship often fall onto my deaf ears. They could all do with a stint in the private sector.

• Not everyone likes their programmes, and the increasing political correctness being deployed by the Corporation is very off-putting for many. Maybe there should be a new channel designed to cater for the snowflakes and all that annoying stuff could be put on there. BBC Woke?

This is what is turning me off programmes that I used to watch on a fairly regular basis. It's not only boring now but actually it's quite sickening and off putting. I like the BBC Woke idea LOL The thing is I turn over to another main channel ITV, Channel 4 and 5 and I get more of the same just not quite as intense as the BBC who are more blatant about it. The only place I can escape it is with forces TV, Drama, Smithsonian, quest and the movie channels. I'm finding myself switching the brainwash box off and listening to more music these days. I'm bored of TV as it's mostly the same old shit or repetitive news being drilled or square bashed into ones brain. It's more brainwashing than social media.

TBH I think all the negative news and constant drilling into ones head is making me mentally ill. I want to break free from society and not have to be reminded all the time of how shit and depressing it is. I want to watch TV as either a form of more upbeat escapism which should not reflect what's going on in the real world or as an educational source, not political nonsense and celebs wanting their ego stroking but it's really hard to escape. Maybe I should start smoking dope again. I was much healthier and happier then. I can make my own TV and entertainment then 8)

• I'm bored of TV as it's mostly the same old shit or repetitive news being drilled or square bashed into ones brain. It's more brainwashing than social media.

You can find interesting programmes if you search. For instance there was an interesting programme about a burglary and subsequent murder investigation recently showing the police inability to prove who did it though they knew who it was

Then there is currently an in depth investigation into Uncle Rupert

And plenty of old programmes on Drama or ITV3 to revist

• ITV and Sky News both covered those virus briefings, and there have been half-hour documentaries on the subject on ITV, Channel 4 and I think Channel 5 as well.

Sorry, but I don't buy the idea that the Beeb is indispensible. I have no problem with the channels continuing to exist, as long as you can opt out of paying if you don't want to use its services.

It's not only the political bias that gets to people. Not everyone likes their programmes, and the increasing political correctness being deployed by the Corporation is very off-putting for many. Maybe there should be a new channel designed to cater for the snowflakes and all that annoying stuff could be put on there. BBC Woke?

BBC before 9 pm isn’t worth watching and is less appealing now after then than it used to be.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Dan really nails it in his comments on the BBC.

• Dan really nails it in his comments on the BBC.

Dan Wooten, formally of the News Of The World and now executive editor of the Sun

Famous for his camp appearances on Lorraine claiming to be connected and in the know about various celebs

A real serious journalist to comment on the BBC

• Dan Wooten, formally of the News Of The World and now executive editor of the Sun

Famous for his camp appearances on Lorraine claiming to be connected and in the know about various celebs

Can't abide him.

• Dan Wooten, formally of the News Of The World and now executive editor of the Sun

Playing the man not the ball.

What do you think about what he said Bryan. I think that was the question.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I am seriously considering joining the ever growing movement to encourage the government to de-fund the BBC. Let them earn their income by competing in the real world of TV and Radio.. It can be done with efficient management.

The Voice of Reason

• There is a daytime quiz programme called Impossible

In the past week I have seen two contestants win the top prize of £10,000 in shiny new £1 coins

Good few fee licences for the over 75s there

• This is what is turning me off programmes that I used to watch on a fairly regular basis. It's not only boring now but actually it's quite sickening and off putting. I like the BBC Woke idea LOL The thing is I turn over to another main channel ITV, Channel 4 and 5 and I get more of the same just not quite as intense as the BBC who are more blatant about it. The only place I can escape it is with forces TV, Drama, Smithsonian, quest and the movie channels. I'm finding myself switching the brainwash box off and listening to more music these days. I'm bored of TV as it's mostly the same old shit or repetitive news being drilled or square bashed into ones brain. It's more brainwashing than social media.

If I was reliant on terrestrial TV, I wouldn't watch much TV at all.

Most of my viewing is now through the streamers, and I am very pleased with them. We've just been watching 'The Act' on StarzPlay, and (unlike us), we got through nine episodes in three days!

However, I dare say you would decline to use any of the SVOD services, given your aversion to technology, but Netflix in particular has transformed our viewing experience.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!