Say goodbye to your favourite actor, writer, performer etc. RIP...

• I do yawn now some of the time, but when I was first introduced to it as an English student with The London Review of Books as required extra reading, I just wanted to bite by granny every time I saw this sort of thing. I have grown to comprehend what sort of entity goes in for this. I have learned to add them to my list of contemptibles.

There, in a mauve light of drifted lupins,

They hung in the cupped hands of mountains

Made of tingling atoms.- Ted Hughes

• Children's presenter Brian Cant has died at the age of 83.

He was best known for presenting BBC's Play School for 21 years from 1964, and Play Away from 1971 to 1984.

NO, NO, NO.

They're all going.

He was number 1 in my opinion.

Who didn't know Brian Cant if you were a child in the seventies, or earlier, or later? He was THE voice of children's television for a generation and coming so soon after John Noakes.

From Play School to Trumpton, he was everywhere and such an important part of my childhood. I loved Trumpton, but all the shows he did I loved.

"Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub."

But this was my favourite:

RIP Brian.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Yes, R.I.P. Now you have the telly tubbies.

• Rhinestone Cowboy singer Glen Campbell has died at the age of 81 after "a long and courageous battle" with Alzheimer's disease, his family said.

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather," their statement said.

I couldn't less this go without a mention here.

Although he was before my time, I still grew up with the music of Glen Campbell played throughout my house and very nice music it is too.

RIP Glenn.

• As with all singers of that generation, what I liked about them was their singing, their words were crystal clear. I can't stand songs where the music drowns out the singer or the lyrics are unintelligible.

• Another one from my generation of musicians departs for the Summerlands. Happy travels, Glen!

• Sir Bruce Forsyth, the veteran entertainer and presenter of many successful TV shows, has died aged 89.

The former Strictly Come Dancing host had been unwell for some time and was in hospital earlier this year after a severe chest infection.

His long career in showbusiness began when he was aged just 14.

This might be controversial, but I'm afraid I was not a fan. This is not the right day to talk about it on the day of his death, so I'll just say RIP Bruce for now.

• I have to admit I was never a big fan of him either so will just say RIP Bruce too, and leave it at that.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Not a fan either, his last outings were excruciating. RIP.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Not a fan either, his last outings were excruciating. RIP.

I think his last appearances on Come Dancing were embarrassing because he was obviously losing it and trying desperately hard not to show it.

Whatever one thinks of him as an entertainer he has achieved immense popularity over many years. Whilst I wasn't a great fan, I think there are certain celebrities who one can't stand ( Chris Evans and Jonathon Ross being two I would cross the street to avoid.) and I would be surprised if many people felt that way about Bruce Forsyth. He was a sort of take him or leave him sort of character. He'd come on, do his bit, and leave a smiling, if not exactly ecstatic audience behind. Which is, I suppose what his job was.

• I agree Morgan, whatever anyone thinks of him, he had been top of his game for the entire time I've been alive. There has never been a time in my lifetime when he has not featured prominently on Saturday night tv.

The issue I had with him, is. I always thought he was against the audience, taking the piss out of them rather than laughing along with them, but that does not take away his immense talents as a singer, dancer, pianist and entertainer.

• Fan maybe not but I laughed out loud at the generation game and play your cards right in my younger years. Not exactly high brow but just good fun. I never watched Strictly so no idea what he was like in that but he entertained me and that's all he ever intended to do so well done to you sir, RIP.

• I think one can feel pretty chuffed at being called a "national treasure".

I have a feeling that sort of individual is going to become a thing of the past.

• I often wonder who. how or what defines someone as a national treasure, and more often than not when someone is described as a national treasure I don't see it myself, maybe it's just me.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I have a feeling that "national treasures" of the future are all going to be Muslim Brits and various other Asian immigrant descendants. Already you have a baking star in a headscarf and a small boy who has invented a space craft at the age of about four and is a "genius", etc. To say nothing of a Brexit antagonist and all purpose pain the arse from some distant island who fancies herself as a moral supremacist. :whistling:

The classic British cultural icon has almost certainly been bludgeoned to death by the left/liberal establishment. And so has anyone who physically resembles the native peoples of the British Isles.

And everyone will be thrilled and anyone who reads this will puff up like a puffer fish and say I'm a wacist. :rolleyes:

I just can't work up any enthusiasm for the multiculti's energetic hatred of heritage it's moronic shallow group love mentality and crass materialism. One mustn't think about them too much as they are very depressing. Their stupidity and their religious obsession with their cult make you want to jump off a cliff to get away from the crazy bastards.

• In terms of the Bake Off lady, she is doing exactly what we want immigrants or those from foreign origins to do and that's integrate, so I have no problem at all her becoming a national treasure. She bakes muffins, you can't get more English than that.

Anyway, lets keep immigration stuff to the immigration thread.:)

• Fan maybe not but I laughed out loud at the generation game and play your cards right in my younger years. Not exactly high brow but just good fun. I never watched Strictly so no idea what he was like in that but he entertained me and that's all he ever intended to do so well done to you sir, RIP.

I really did enjoy Play Your Cards Right. Perhaps it might seem too corny or camp now, but I loved it. Anything simple I can understand!:)

I often wonder who. how or what defines someone as a national treasure, and more often than not when someone is described as a national treasure I don't see it myself, maybe it's just me.

I think with multiple channels and on demand now, it will be harder for people to become national treasures, whatever that is. But when we only had three main channels and only two of those were for general entertainment, it was easier for figures like Brucie to dominate the airwaves.

• In terms of the Bake Off lady, she is doing exactly what we want immigrants or those from foreign origins to do and that's integrate, so I have no problem at all her becoming a national treasure. She bakes muffins, you can't get more English than that.

Anyway, lets keep immigration stuff to the immigration thread.:)

Okay.

• Coronation Street legend Liz Dawn, who played Vera Duckworth in the soap for more than 30 years, has died.

Actor Tony Booth, who starred in BBC sitcom Till Death Us Do Part, has died, his family have said.

Two big stories in their own right here, but for different reasons.

Perhaps Tony Booth may not be known to many people, although he was in a lot of roles, but it's his politics and connections that single him out here. The most prominent one being he is Tony Blair's father in law.

He was known to be quite a hard line lefty and is surprising that he never went into politics himself.

The other story, needs no intro, everyone knew Vera Duckwork.

I haven't seen Coronation Street in years, but there is no doubt that the character has been one of the most longest serving and popular on British television for decades. At least Vera will be back to shouting at poor Jack in the afterlife now - he never gets break!:)

• Alf used to call him Little Lord Fauntleroy in Till Death us Do part if I remember.

• R.I.P. John Hillerman.

Goodbye John. Always liked you in the role opposite Tom Selleck in Magnum PI.

• Oh. I've not seen the news yet today, so this is news to me. RIP to him, they all seem to be dropping like flies over recent years, lots of actors and other known people have passed away.

• Well, John was 84, so he had a good innings and is now mercifully free of our degraded world.

• RIP I really liked him when I was a teen.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• RIP Likely lad.

4312-gwban-gif