Will The Lib Dems Arise From The Dead?

• The Lib Dems were almost wiped out at the last general election. Do you reckon they will ever enjoy the same number of MPs they had pre election, considering their recent win in Richmond?

• Not any time soon, the membership did not enjoy the realities of Government, they like being a nice party, nice people, nice policies. You see it in their policies ie a little more tax to pay for lots and lots of nice things, yes we should have nuclear deterrent but it should be smaller and cheaper.

However the reality is as we saw with New Labour a little more tax only makes a little difference and as for the deterrent, it is as it is because that is as small as it can be to deter a nutter in the Kremlin, anything less and it stops working. I suspect most Lib Dems and even more so their voters know this, but they want to make a protest about how the world could be so much better, safe in the knowledge they won't have to deliver.

However we may see a new SDP, if the Tories drift right to attract votes from an imploding UKIP and Labour PLP and moderate Unions splits from the hard left membership and Unions.

• So, you don't reckon the Blairites would just move over to the Lib Dems but create their own party instead? Interesting.

I always liked the two David's (SDLP and old Liberal party leaders) even though it was not my politics, but the SDLP was the split off from labour, but they were too small to survive, hence why they got into bed with the liberal party.

Did you ever watch spitting image? The two David's on that was brilliant.:D

• No, I think if we see a combined Moderate Union / PLP split then they will be big enough and why would they need the all but dead Lib Dems. In the same way Mandelson and Blair did not need the gang of four to turn the Labour Party into a massive electoral force. But that is no longer an option since Ed Milliband handed it over to a 3 quid nutters, you will not get an electable leader.

I was not such a fan of spitting image, I preferred Week Ending, and whilst the Two Davids was funny it was wrong, relationship 180 degrees the otherway with Steele being the dominant one. They were also wrong about Major, whilst he may not have been the greatest speaker he was in reality one of the most passionate politicians of the modern generation. The puppets were an art work, but all in all the Week Ending scripts were better, I loved the idea of the Wets meeting in the House of Commons gents, as it was the only place they could escape Mad Mags.

• Never even heard of Week Ending, where was that shown?

Do you think both main parties might go to the extremes in the end, thus opening up the centre for a new party?

I think UKIP is finished. Labour is going to the hard left and the tory's TBD.

• Graham,

I like Tebbit, IDS et all. You know where you stand with them and politically, I tend to agree with them on many issues. But I agree, the new generation of politicians are ambitious, but with that comes a lack of conviction. What are they about? What do they think? Who knows... It's whatever they think will get the most headlines.

Thanks for the info about the Week Ending. I am only now just discovering Radio 4, particularly as tv has become so unwatchable now. And yes, like you, I miss Spitting Image too. Thatcher and her handbagging, Major and his peas, Tebbit the vampire (was it??) great stuff. Interesting how the left wing dominated media only likes to take the piss out of the tories and gave up (with a few exceptions, Rory Bremner being the best example) when Blair came along.

• I think the libdems will do well in Labour remainer seats. However they may lose seats in the Southwest areas that were strongly in favour of Brexit. I can't see them being a significant force in the next parliament though so they'll just make a lot of noise off stage.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I think the libdems will do well in Labour remainer seats. However they may lose seats in the Southwest areas that were strongly in favour of Brexit. I can't see them being a significant force in the next parliament though so they'll just make a lot of noise off stage.

THe south west is curious, because as you say they voted leave, but its also where the Lib Dems have been strong in the past. So, it'll be interesting to see how they vote.