Should there be a second referendum on leaving the EU?

• Should the UK hold a second referendum on leaving the EU? 5

1. Yes (0) 0%
    2. No (5) 100%

We've talked about it already, but lets keep this thread purely on the subject of whether there should be a second referendum on leaving the EU and please vote in the poll.

MPs could end up supporting another Brexit referendum if "none of the other options work", Tony Blair has said.

The ex-prime minister said there could be majority support for a new EU poll if Parliament ended up "gridlocked".

He urged Theresa May to "facilitate" the process by "running all options" by MPs first, including Norway and Canada-style alternatives as well as her deal.

The messiah is back once again sharing his wisdom.X/ He is not the only one calling for a "people's vote." I guess it must have been ghosts who voted in the first referendum...:rolleyes:

At time of writing, May has come back from Brussels unable to amend her deal and calls are mounting for a second referendum on leaving the EU so as to avoid leaving the EU without a deal. Suffice to say, I am not in favour of another vote, what say you?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Leave won the first time so the only question could be on the type of leave: Full Brexit or May's Hokey Cokey plan that will never be passed by parliament anyway so the result would be forgone. A pointless waste of money.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• That was in this thread: Should there be a vote on the final deal?, but Blair and others are calling for a full rerun of the 2016 vote on whether we leave the EU or stay in. So, that's the options I put in the poll.

If there is another vote on leaving the EU, or a vote on the deal, I agree, total waste of money, but Blair and co will try.

• Second referendum, great idea.

1 Create the question(s) to be asked in the second referendum: 3 months

2 Discuss it in Parliament: 1 month

3 Vote for it in Parliament: 1 month

4 Discuss questionnaire with the EU and ensure all the questionnaire's pre-listed options are realisable: 2 months

5 Discuss questionnaire with DUP to agree that all questionnaire's options are implementable: 2 months

6 Put together and agree an action plan for the necessary organised referendum administration: 2 months

7 Create, debate and agree wording for explaining to voters the pros & cons of the voting options in the questionnaire: 2 months

8 Debate in Parliament if 2nd referendum result is (a) automatically implementable in the EU or (b) just advisory for Government: 3 months

9 If 8a, wait for Gina Miller or her ilk to shove it up to high court to decide if sidestepping Parliament is legal: 2 months

10 If 8b, allow for Parliamentary debate, motions, cancelled motions, re-scheduled motions, etc etc: 4 months

11 Bring in the army to control civil unrest and riots, regardless of whether the situation is 8a or 8b: 2 months or much much longer

12 May remains PM because no Tory heavyweight wants the job; only non-entities as un-electable as May (hard to imagine)

13 After the above 2-3 years Britain achieves the same investment attractiveness as Pakistan, Somalia, Eritrea , Burma, Iran, Libya, Haiti

14 Labour wins the GE with a workable majority, enough to fulfil their race to the bottom

Theree months

• I think that post pretty much demolishes the idea of why a second vote is such a bad idea and yes, Ms Miller would definitely show her face again!

• I think that post pretty much demolishes the idea of why a second vote is such a bad idea and yes, Ms Miller would definitely show her face again!

Thanks for response. But c'mon, let's not kid ourselves, it's a particularly bad idea for us Brexiteers!

• Why bother? It wouldn't be respected by the losers, whoever won. Re-running a referendum sets a precedent that the result need not be accepted.

The only way it could possibly be accepted is if it gave a choice of Mays deal, or WTO.

• Re-running a referendum sets a precedent that the result need not be accepted.

But the EU would love it though. If you don't get the result you want, vote again until you do. But I agree. If we keep rerunning votes, then the results would never bee accepted again.

• These remoaner losers would if they lost again go and crawl back under rocks ?, are we really meant to believe that?, and also that the 500 odd shit houses in parliament holding up the wishes of the referendum winners would then become leavers overnight , yeah right,

• But the EU would love it though. If you don't get the result you want, vote again until you do. But I agree. If we keep rerunning votes, then the results would never bee accepted again.

Our fetid MP's would have no problem in overriding the referendum , given the chance they still will , that is how low they are,

• They've passed the law Nigel, so unless they repeal that law, we leave the EU next March. What we'll get and have been getting is just a load of noise, but it doesn't change things.

It's why I've now changed from wanting a deal with the EU to leaving on WTO terms, as its a clean break and we can see the tricks at play to keep us in the club, if we accept a deal. Better to get out and then talk, rather than the hodge podge mess that it currently is.

• Well let's hope May's deal is voted down. We are relying on the 117 who voted no confidence in the PM, plus the DUP.

Under May's deal, even without the backstop, the EU rules would still be followed in many areas that are nothing to do with trade, ie. tax, foreign policy and others (to prevent us being more competitive), even if we were no longer members of the EU. Name one other trading partner that would accept those terms!

• They've passed the law Nigel, so unless they repeal that law, we leave the EU next March. What we'll get and have been getting is just a load of noise, but it doesn't change things.

It's why I've now changed from wanting a deal with the EU to leaving on WTO terms, as its a clean break and we can see the tricks at play to keep us in the club, if we accept a deal. Better to get out and then talk, rather than the hodge podge mess that it currently is.

Horizon , thanks to that snake Dominic Grieves amendment , once Mrs May's nightmare is thrown out , they , and I mean parliament will do just this , they have the numbers , only a threat of a general election will prevent these shit houses from doing it IMPO.

• It's why I've now changed from wanting a deal with the EU to leaving on WTO terms, as its a clean break and we can see the tricks at play to keep us in the club, if we accept a deal. Better to get out and then talk, rather than the hodge podge mess that it currently is.

You're not the only one, Horizon. Join the club by signing the petition:

Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019.

The count of signatures has doubled in the last 24 hrs,

• You're not the only one, Horizon. Join the club by signing the petition:

Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019.

The count of signatures has doubled in the last 24 hrs,

Signed by both of us. :thumbup:

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• 1 Why bother? It wouldn't be respected by the losers, whoever won. Re-running a referendum sets a precedent that the result need not be accepted.

2 The only way it could possibly be accepted is if it gave a choice of Mays deal, or WTO.

By your reasoning could it be argued that re-running a General Election every 5 years would also not be respected by the "losers" and sets a precedent that the result need not be accepted? What's the difference? That things have happened over the last 5 years, including a lousy performance by the party in office? Yes, that's a good reason to have another General Election. Well, things have sure happened in the last 2-3 years since the last referendum, so why not a new referendum vote on a new set of circumstances? But on one important proviso: that like in a General Election, the result is automatically implemented without being debated by Parliament - surely we have always known Parliament analyses everything to destruction.

Don't agree? Okay, what about a real life example: say in 1939, after Hitler had invaded France, Belgium, Holland etc the vote in Parliament was debated and it was unresolved as to whether to declare war against Germany or carry on with Chamberlain trying to negotiate peace. So a referendum was held and 52% of the electorate, which included you, said go to war and 48% said carry on with peace talks with Chamberlain. So it was agreed we go to war. But now let's say that while we were preparing for war, Germany got mauled after trying to invade Russia and were willing to discuss peace talks with a view to acknowledging the sovereignty of those countries that they had invaded. Parliament would want to resume those peace talks before agreeing to the "go-to-war" result of the referendum. In the light of those peace talks, which were proving to be hard work (probably because they were being conducted by Chamberlain) Parliament was divided on whether to go to war or carry on talking (after all, Churchill did say at one time it's better to jaw jaw than war war). In that situation would you insist on honouring the results of the first referendum or holding a second referendum?

• Post by jack runfold ().

This post was deleted by Horizon ().
  • Horizon , thanks to that snake Dominic Grieves amendment , once Mrs May's nightmare is thrown out , they , and I mean parliament will do just this , they have the numbers , only a threat of a general election will prevent these shit houses from doing it IMPO.

I never caught up with what happened in parliament over those days, so can't comment on this one way or another.

• New EU referendum would break faith with Britons, May to warn MPs

Holding another referendum on the EU would "break faith with the British people", Theresa May will warn MPs.

Former PMs John Major and Tony Blair are among those urging a new referendum if MPs cannot agree on a way forward.

But the prime minister will argue that it would do "irreparable damage to the integrity of our politics" and would "likely leave us no further forward".

At last! Something I agree on with May on. Another vote would turn those of all who are already lukewarm to politicians, stone cold.

• Post by Fidget ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • There are things May dare not say because it could make the EU feel they have been beaten and they won't allow that. In paticular, how Britain can escape being locked into the backstop. To spell that out would demonstrate entering an agreement in bad faith, which would have expensive legal consequences and would in any event cause the EU to withdraw what has been a quietly offered yet legally-binding concession/re-assurance.

In any case, May has a very limited vocal and mental vocabulary, which is a major part of the problem.

The other part of the problem that is keeping us in this quagmire is transparency, the glare of publicity and the farce of over 600 MP's being expected to arrive at a decision which is for the good of the country rather than to serve their personal agenda.

• An Express article states there can be no second referendum without extending Article 50 as it would take months to arrange. This would take us into the next term of EU Parliament, meaning we would need to elect MEP's. If we didn't have elections for MEP's we would be in breach of EU citizens laws.

Would there be sufficient time left to organise MEP elections? I hope not.

Despite this ... Ms Rudd added: "We need to find out where the will of Parliament is, where the majority of MPs will vote in Parliament. Nothing should be off the table. We should consider all options."

I note she does not mention that the electorate have already decided this, as requested by Parliament.

Brexit SHOCK: Legal advice to Government RULES OUT second referendum

• I am beyond angry at these shysters in parliament , we have 400 odd turds trying their hardest to stop the democratic will of 17.4 million voters and yet that complete, green turd , Caroline Lucas has the bloody cheek to stand up and claim Mrs May is preventing democracy!

• As I've been saying a while, if we have a even longer transitional period, that would take us into the next EU budget which we'd have to commit too for another 6/7 years. This is what the MPs want a perpetual transition with no end. More MEPs, more EU wasting our money.

If you want something to lift your spirits, have a look at this twitter feed and see the responses to Guy Verhofstadt. I don't participate in twitter, but it can be quite funny at times.

Guy Verhofstadt (the ugly bugger) says No deal Brexit is totally irresponsible

And we had another BBC story that troops would be needed in the event of a no deal.

What would the troops do, shoot French lory drivers?

The EU autocrats and unfortunately many in our own country, want to make it sound like that leaving the EU will be the apocalypse. Well, I don't drink, so can easily live without French wine and I think continental chocolate tastes disgusting, I much prefer the "real" stuff, our stuff, stuffed with sugar and fat. It's the end of the world!=O8o:D