French buy Vauxhall. A potential weopon against us in Brexit negotiations??

• The French company that owns Peugeot and Citroen has struck a 2.2bn euro (£1.9bn) deal to buy General Motors' European unit, including Vauxhall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39175740

Theresa May is facing calls to guarantee that Brexit will not harm the operations of Vauxhall after PSA, the French owner of Peugeot and Citroën, announced a deal to buy the British car manufacturer.

https://www.theguardian.com/bu…our-peugeot-psa-nissan-uk
    =====
    Well, this will all work out well....

Just as we go into negotiations with the EU, we have have given the French and Germans a nice little battering ram to use against us. Sometimes timing IS everything.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• There's a long way to go and I don't think we can afford to give way to any possible problems yet. The French and Germans are going to try it on which is why May has to talk tough and not give way.
    If people here keep calling for reassurances for this and guarantees of that before we start, we aren't going to get anywhere in any negotiations.

The last thing we need to do is go into the negotiations waving a white flag.

• I feel sorry for the car workers because they may find themselves being "piggy in the middle" here.

• I feel sorry for the car workers because they may find themselves being "piggy in the middle" here.

True. From seeing the new owner being interviewed on t.v. it seems he's going to make it a competition between British workers and European workers rate of production. Winner takes it all.
    So meantime, there won't be any strikes or demands for pay rises from the unions if they've got any sense.

• True. From seeing the new owner being interviewed on t.v. it seems he's going to make it a competition between British workers and European workers rate of production. Winner takes it all.
    So meantime, there won't be any strikes or demands for pay rises from the unions if they've got any sense.

If they've got any sense?? Very funny.

• What would happen if there were to be a Frexit?

Good question.

I would like to think that as a French company has paid a lot of money for Vauxhall, any future decision on UK car workers would be made on purely business rather than political reasons. But, this is the French...

If Le Pen gets in, she's hardly not going to protect French workers over anyone else.

From a business point of view, the future looks dim for the UK car workers and from a political one, they'll just be used and abused with the inevitably same conclusion.

I am reminded by GM's own figures that Vauxhall has not made any profit since 1999. I just feel very, very sorry for these car workers.