Posts by Splinter2

Congrats from a fellow WoltLab forum software user on your five years! You beat me by about a year, but like you, we're still around, although competing with social media isn't an easy task.

Attracting and keeping new members is the most difficult task and so far I have found that new content is king.

Sorry for butting in. This is just another forum admin's perspective.

Most of my French acquaintances have been beautiful women, so I'm perhaps a little biased, especially when they speak English with that sexy accent.

Having said that, I've travelled a lot and I still love France and the French, so we can't blame Napoleon for everything.

A friend of mine who has lived in France for the last 25 years decided to move back to South Wales last year, but has now moved back to France after only about nine months.

His reasons were over the top political correctness, poor education and manners, and generally yobbish behaviour.

We are in fact considering moving back to the UK, but it's on hold due to the virus. Is the UK really going downhill like my friend says?

With nearly 3000 new cases per day emerging, Argentina is going back to phase one on Monday, which is where we were back in March.

The economy, or what's left of it, is really going to take a hammering, not to mention the sanity of millions.

I also tried several times with Little Britain, but just didn't get it all.

On the other hand, I think what is now happening is complete madness. We cannot erase history or escape from it, so burning the Union Jack, defacing Churchill's statue and removing other statues are simply opportunistic acts of vandalism.

Thankfully we haven't quite got to that level yet. Just the normal police stops, vehicles pulled at random and police on foot walking around parks etc. Nothing out of the norm. If there where to ever be checkpoints like you talk about I would guess that would be at the point where the Army get called in and it would be like a Northern Ireland type situation. For that to happen on UK soil outside of Northern Ireland would take extreme measures. It would never happen and I think it may even start a riot because many folk wont accept that level control and restriction on our freedom of movement. Were are not even required to carry any form of identity. Right now they have people on a voluntary lockdown of sorts. Give us the reason why, tell us that's what we should be doing and that's what they want us to do and the majority accept that. It's not a martial law type scenario. If they where to introduce a martial law type scenario it would cause more problems than what it's worth.

I'm not suggesting that would ever happen in the UK, but it's worth bearing in mind that the government has the power to impose much stricter impositions should people continue to flout the rules. And of course, Brits are used to a high level of freedom across the board which is not available in many countries. Curbing that, like now, will always be a challenge.

I would suggest that in Argentina, this aspect is less of an imposition for historical reasons - successive military juntas over the years and an unhealthy obsession with ID cards.

For example, if you're stopped in the UK for, let's say, a minor traffic offence, the police are generally more concerned about the vehicle. Over here they want to know who you are and whether you have a right to drive the vehicle. We are also obliged to carry every single original document pertaining to us and the vehicle. If just one is missing, they impound it and you walk home, no questions asked, unless the official is bribe-friendly.

I lived here back in the 70s and experienced military curfews first-hand. Not recommended.

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. We've been in lock-down for nearly three weeks and it's taking a big toll on our income, as for so many other people.

I fix and build computers, so that's not possible, but fortunately my wife is an accountant, so she always has work fighting off the taxman for her clients, some of whom are still paying her.

I also do motorcycle courier work and was able to get an exemption certificate, so that when stopped by the police I can show it to them and not get hauled away to a police cell which they have the right to do, no questions asked.

Talking of which, random police checks are a common sight here here anyway, not forgetting that they're armed too with very large calibre weapons. However I have developed techniques for avoiding those over the years. I know that in the UK, random police checkpoints are a new and unfamiliar sight for most people. We should all hope that the state doesn't get used to the control that it now has.

I'm also repainting the house to keep me out of mischief.

Since I live in Buenos Aires and the death of prosecutor Alberto Nisman shocked the country in 2015, this documentary is a must-see for me.

Since the Netflix intro explains the set up, I'm not spoiling by saying that he had prepared a cover up case against the president, but was found dead the night before he was due to give evidence before congress.

Most of us don't believe in that kind of coincidence or that he committed suicide.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81160763…991&jbp=1&jbr=0