Posts by Horizon

Well, we mentioned this originally in the "Trump, nutter with nukes thread" which I've copied over to this forum and my view has only hardened, in regards to Trump and the media, since then. I don't like the way this is going....

Trump can certainly bring the media to task of misreporting of events, has there been any....? To ban news organisations though, because they are critical of him, sets a dangerous precedent. I don't like it.

I agree and without side-lining the thread and make it all about Merkel, she exasperated the problem with her open invitation to the Syrian refugees and not for compassionate reasons but for pure German self interest. If that flood of refugees hadn't moved across Europe and had been contained within Greece and/or Italy, it would have been better for everyone, including the Germans.

Now there are millions of refugees spread over god's knows where and who knows whether ISIS has infuriated some of these groups. Now all we need is the "icing" on the cake and Turkey to renege on his deal.

In my household there was a discussion on this and I won it and my managed to persuade my relative not to get one. The question I posed to them was "what do you want it for and what will you do with it?" Which they did not answer, so that ended that...:)

Clearly, this is the future. Google have made no secret that all our searches into their search engine is in fact programing their AI for there future AI led gadgets, so these clever gadgets are the way to go, but I pose the same question to you Morgan. What do you do with it?

But as I said, we should be concentrating on helping and if necessary taking in our reasonable share of genuine refugees from countries or safe areas adjacent to war zones. We shouldn't be taking 'refugees' from Calais who are simply passing through countries because they think they will get a better deal here. Greece or Italy fair enough, every country can help financially to a degree and take a certain amount in if necessary. But any refugees wandering through Europe in search of the best deals aren't refugees, they are economic immigrants. Hungary has a zero refugee policy which isn't fair on other countries or genuine refugees. But anyone from Greece or Turkey has to pass through at least 2 safe countries to get there anyway.

As I understand it, refugees are given food and shelter in Turkey and Greece. By all means let's all pay a bit towards it but let's be honest here, the further away these people get from their homeland, the more likely they will want to stay permanently in countries which take them in and more and more will come under the guise of refugees.

I'm not blaming them for wanting a better life but the more there are coming to the party, the thinner the slices of cake will have to be for all of us.

We're paying Turkey and who knows how long that the EU/Turkey deal will last and then we're back to square one.

Yes, of course Jordan has taken in lots, I agree. But if they were "more" agreeable, all of the refugees could've been temporarily housed in Jordan with international support, but its not want the Jordanians want. And, as I said, where are the other Arab countries in this this?. Nowhere of course

But as I said, we should be concentrating on helping and if necessary taking in our reasonable share of genuine refugees from countries or safe areas adjacent to war zones. We shouldn't be taking 'refugees' from Calais who are simply passing through countries because they think they will get a better deal here. Greece or Italy fair enough, every country can help financially to a degree and take a certain amount in if necessary. But any refugees wandering through Europe in search of the best deals aren't refugees, they are economic immigrants. Hungary has a zero refugee policy which isn't fair on other countries or genuine refugees. But anyone from Greece or Turkey has to pass through at least 2 safe countries to get there anyway.

As I understand it, refugees are given food and shelter in Turkey and Greece. By all means let's all pay a bit towards it but let's be honest here, the further away these people get from their homeland, the more likely they will want to stay permanently in countries which take them in and more and more will come under the guise of refugees.

I'm not blaming them for wanting a better life but the more there are coming to the party, the thinner the slices of cake will have to be for all of us.

I think there are two main issues here.

How do we deal with "normal" "refugees", such as those in Calais and come from various countries including Pakistan. And how do we deal with those coming from Syria which between them, Assad and Putin, has been destroyed.

I think for "normal refugees," I agree with you and would probably take an ever firmer line. Even those coming from Afghanistan should seek refuge in the first available safe country. The Calais thing is just a weapon the French government has been using against us and will do so again...

I have no idea why we have been pouring millions into Calais. It was not our problem. If the French have open borders, that's there choice. What's it got to do with us? Many of the refugees there were migrants from Africa. It's not out problem.

Those coming from Syria is another matter.

Countries close to Syria don't give a damn. When has any Arab country put their hands into their pockets for their fellow Arab brothers??

So, either we take our "share" of the refugees in, which is what the EU/Merkel wanted, or we keep the refugees as close to Syria as possible.

So, if we don't want to take in large numbers of people and I don't think there is an appetitive in our country to do so, I think we really need to step up support for Greece and Italy and keep all the refugees there which will be made ten times worse once the EU/Turkey deal collapses.

I think we need to be compassionate to those fleeing from war torn countries as they have suffered horrors which hopefully we'll never experience. But separate that issue from one of essentially economic migration.

Lovely sunshine today in London and pretty warm. The hurricane made a bit of mess of things yesterday with debris strewn around, so I decided that as the garden was already a mess, I would start my spring clean up ahead of schedule and create more mess!

The major task was taming the ivy on my garage. Planting ivy was never my idea...;)

When Valentines Day's comes, it's not just people who get frisky, but the birds do too and they love nesting in ivy. I've seen one or two go into the ivy over the last few days, so I've thought I'd better give it a good cut back while I can before they start nesting.

Back lawn got mowed today too, first time since last Autumn and a bit of doddering around in the greenhouse to finish off.

Normally, by now I would've started off some seeds but as my greenhouse is old and unheated and late frost can wipe the lot out, I haven't. My entire summer bedding was wiped out last year by a bit of cold in April. So all in all, for various reasons, it was a very bad year.

But now I have heated propagators, so I'm not going to start any seeds off for at least another 3 weeks or so. I've got lots collected from my garden from last year in preparation. Previously, I have used a combination of bought plug plants and my own home grown plants for my summer display, but this year I will grow everything from scratch.

Spring plants are showing their faces a bit after being blasted by the hurricane, so I'll take a few snaps soon of what's survived that and the cats and other creatures. Despite the cats best efforts, I still have a lot of forget-me-nots and they will show their faces in about six weeks or so.

We're in a fairly dense urban environment and cats are an absolute menace. In the rear patio garden that's got raised beds for annuals I use carpet tack strips painted black between the plants and pea sticks with black twine across the beds. About the only things I've found that work and aren't too obtrusive. Personally I'd prefer cats to be redefined as vermin so I could use the double barrelled solution.

I've put some of that green mesh stuff that you use to make climbing plants, climb, over part of my garden. The creatures hate it, as they get their feet caught up in it, but it looks awful.

I will look about pea sticks and black twine. Never seen or heard of those before. Thanks.

I'm not sure about the carpet tacks thing. If the cats get hurt in my garden, which I do not want, that would only add to neighbour "issues"...

Rob, firstly welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself to the community if you get a chance. Secondly, we're having a few technical glitches and your deleted post is undeleted, although I don't know why you deleted it. Perhaps you thought this thread has gone off course, which it has, but your post is a valid opinion.

Why not repost it in the immigration topic here, or create your own topic?

Cats, squirrels, foxes.... They all visit and every year it gets worse.

I don't have large gardens to begin with, but after their"visits", where once forget-me-nots or spring bulbs were growing, instead holes appear or patches of nothing in the dirt.

I saw on the news. :(

It's only a bit of strong wind, so we'll get it through it! :)

We're very lucky here in London as we pretty much get the best weather out of the entire country. So, if you hear us say we're getting snow blizzards, it means a few snowflakes. Monsoon rains means a five minute shower etc

The last real hurricane we had here was in 1985 ish and that did bring down some trees, but that's not what's happening here today. If there's any tree damage, that's not down to nature, but people...

Ah, farming! That will be able to return after Brexit.(snip).

Noooooo, it won't.:(

My brain is killing me today after spending 16 hours yesterday "pimping" on other sites (it brought 8 new members, though.:)) but I had this discussion on at least three different sites....and what others have said is that we still pay into the farming until 2019, until Brexit. But then, we'll still pay for another year, for a reason I cannot remember. And during Brexit negotiations, if its "agreed" that there needs to be transitional arrangements, we'll keep paying into the 2020's...

What with that and David Davis' announcement yesterday (while going round Eastern European countries) that foreign manual labour will still be required post Brexit, it doesn't seem that we are LEAVING the EU after all.

Isn't the UK the EU's biggest donor? ... I mean contributor.

As the graph that Morgan linked to clearly shows, if it were not for the UK's rebate, we would be the number one contributor to the EU..

From day one, the EU was set up against our interests. We get less money, because we have less farms. And the CAP still makes up almost half the budget, originally the bulk of the EU's budget. And as the article explained, because we use VAT to raise revenue, we also get penalised for that too.