Posts by RichardCoulter

Is there any indication that some channels are getting their tiers changed after the recent freebies?

TCM HD, (Sky) History HD, and Nick HD (that I've noticed) are all still on Fun, and weren't part of that tier before.

I'm glad you asked this as the BT Sport element of Full House will shortly start being charged again and I resent paying it. The only way to get rid of the surcharge will be to downgrade.

All these suggestions sound sensible to me. The BBC is short of money and DTT is short of capacity and will be even more so when coms 6 & 7 are closed to make way for the mobile phone operators.

Don't Scottish viewers lose some radio stations when BBC Scotland is on air? Maybe any spare capacity could be used to keep these on air too.

I wouldn't be surprised if a larger broadcaster buys the whole thing. Given Sky's PSB comments recently they could use their Sky News news gathering operation in combination with it to provide better local news.

There's growing speculation in the media that BBC4 is to be axed, I wonder if this is the reason for the sudden desire to get Sky Arts onto Freeview in order to claim PSB status.

Don't get me wrong, I agree.

Sky have done it in their German arm, they are just taking their sweet time in UK. Maybe they don't want the expense of sending out "free" boxes to SD subscribers until they absolutely have to? It may coincide with their UHD push, when it comes.

Aye, I remember on analogue the vast majority of German channels were free, whilst we had to pay. They even found a way to make the FTA VH1 appear scrambled to UK viewers.

It's just a bit of fun but anything like that comes with a risk. At the moment, it's probably just an EPG link to an app and not visible to the customer base, or to any boxes outside the 3 internal networks it is currently being tested on. The risk comes if it isn't updated to a proper service name when (if) it eventually gets added to customer networks. With VM's track record, it isn't a given that everything will be remembered before going live. I've said before that VM could use vague test names for this sort of thing.. and then they started doing just that, so erm.. yeah.

True, VM aren't the most competent of companies. I remember Sky Sports News & Sky News having 'news' amended to 'snooze' and Sky One being relabelled to Sky Gone'. I bet someone got a real roasting for that.

Spotlight TV, the channel that "gets millions more viewers each day" "gets more viewers than Sky Sports on an important match day" and "should receive help from the TV licence"! I'm not surprised it's failing with all the rubbish & lies that come out of the owners mouth :)

Seen a report that says that, from Sunday 24/5/20, the EPG listing for BBC 2 HD is saying 'Channel No Longer Available'!

Looks fine on my V6, but this person looks to be in Scotland, so maybe there is a problem up there or he has a different STB.

Either that or the BBC funding cuts are really kicking in :D

The ratings are actually pretty good. The last 4 weeks (source BARB) have a 0.44 share, that's the same as DMAX and a little above Comedy Central (inc +1) on 0.41.

Bearing in mind that the rights to the type of content it shows will be very low cost and that it's supposedly run with a tiny number of staff, the only big expenditure is its Freeview carriage, DTT being historically much more expensive than Cable and Satellite.

The problem certain channels have is their demographic. Particular demographics attract different advertisers. Their channel just so happens to attract adverts for things that are greatly affected by the current situation e.g. cruises.

The ratings are actually pretty good. The last 4 weeks (source BARB) have a 0.44 share, that's the same as DMAX and a little above Comedy Central (inc +1) on 0.41.

Bearing in mind that the rights to the type of content it shows will be very low cost and that it's supposedly run with a tiny number of staff, the only big expenditure is its Freeview carriage, DTT being historically much more expensive than Cable and Satellite.

The problem certain channels have is their demographic. Particular demographics attract different advertisers. Their channel just so happens to attract adverts for things that are greatly affected by the current situation e.g. cruises.

That's true. Their demographic is said to be mainly the over 70's, so things like stairlifts won't be being advertised either as they won't currently be able to enter their homes to install them.

Talking Pictures are now struggling due to the coronavirus lockdown:

START

Dear Supporters of Film and TV History,

It’s been difficult at Talking Pictures TV HQ this week. As you know we rely on adverts to pay all the bills to keep us on air for you all – for free. Without adverts, we have no way of putting a shilling or two in the meter and paying for all the film rights, the transmission centre, the satellites, the cables, etc. With the current situation we don’t have any advertisers. There are no cruises, no holidays, no products to advertise as all the warehouses are closed, so we are grateful for any adverts we can get at the moment. In these difficult times I thought I should make you aware of the situation as sadly we don’t get a license fee to help towards the costs. It’s more important now than ever that you go forth as Talking Pictures TV ambassadors and spread the word in any way you can. There have been some great supporters of ours on Radio Shows ringing in to make people aware of us; also newspapers and articles talking about how Talking Pictures TV is their safe haven. I know everyone appreciates the work Dad and I do for you all, but honestly if there was ever a time we needed you to campaign for us, it is now.

END

If this is the case with one of the most successful niche channels, I think it likely that we will be losing some channels on VM :(

Sky was rebranding even when the analysis started several years ago. It used to create a major headache as it triggered a change in every module, which is why fixed SID names were used in the database to replace constantly changing service names.

I'm not sure that there will be a fee for changing the name, it will only be a minor amendment to the service licence but it must be annoying for Ofcom as they have to publish the changes.

If I read the Ofcom fee structure correctly, it costs £200 to amend a licence each time after it's been approved- peanuts to Sky.

It's what they used to do, so don't see why they changed to actually renaming the channels all the time.

Anyone know when all this Sky film channels renaming started?

At a rough guess between one and two years i would say. It must be to their advantage to keep doing it, but it is annoying. I'm sure that Ofcom find it to be an annoyance too, even though Sky will have to pay them to keep changing the names of various channels.

There really isn't much point in subscribing to the packs above the basic pack at the moment.

It's still encrypted on my box.

M+ were written to to say they were being moved up to Fun, so I'm amazed it's not been removed as it's been quite aome time now.

So, in theory, there shouldn't be any M+ customers anyway!

Sky Documentaries and Sky Nature were supposed to launch on 7/4/20, but because of the pandemic they have all been delayed.

I believe that the current estimated start date is now 27/5/20.

Interesting those override flags JJ20X. Some of them (e.g. the UKTV ones) weren't in the email listing 18 channels for all that VM sent out.

Note: I've not seen the email myself. Presumably I didn't get it as I had all the ones listed

What's this about? Is it a coronavirus thing or have these channels moved down permanently? Are these now in the M/Player pack? It's making less and less sense to carry on paying for the top package.

Edit: Found this, it's only for a month https://www.virginmedia.com/vi…new-channels-on-virgin-tv