Posts by cheekyangus

The following channel has closed.

S4C Audio Description Ch856

There is an information slate/audio loop on Ch 856 that tells you about the change and how to enable Audio Description on Ch104 (Wales)/Ch166 (Rest of UK).

I wonder if, once their SD services are switched off, they will be able to stop subletting from Sky, or whether they still won't have enough capacity because HD uses more capacity.

The latter. Now I've not had my morning coffee, so maybe my brain ain't remembering this correctly, but I think the BBC have 3 transponders for SD, and I've been told recently they only have 5 services on transponders carrying HD, ITV have 6. Their SD transponders carry a lot more than 5 TV services, hence my answer.

And I think the BBC might be less ruthless about cutting SD on Satellite, as the British public is more attached to BBC Local News bulletins than ITV ones, and so there would be a more vocal response to services cuts, even if it is a minority. But with the cuts required after what the Government did recently they might bite the bullet and copy ITV wholesale.

I wonder what Sky are getting out of it? Maybe Sky are subletting excess capacity after the closure of +1/ROI feeds??

-Money.

-Another major UK broadcaster pushing toward a full HD array of services, which will help make switching their own services OFF easier, saving them money and customer agro.

BBC2 Northern Ireland HD is now in testing (heads-up from a516digital on Twitter). Proper transmission, not the green screen with EPG shown twice briefly.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Apparently on Sky transponders. I can't imagine the BBC renting space just for 1 HD channel at this juncture, so , and I'm just speculating here, I can see the other BBC1 HD English regions arriving fairly soon on Satellite.

The following channels have closed.

Channel 4 Audio Description Ch854

Channel 5 Audio Description Ch855

There is an information slate/audio loop on both Ch 854 and Ch 855 that tells you about the change and how to enable Audio Description on Ch104, Ch141 and Ch105.

I know.

Used to watch the Simpsons, but after 10 million episodes, I moved on.

But as for my trek fix, I want proper tv, not animation.

Same here. It went downhill as soon as they started with the real-life cameos.

I'll skip on cartoons, thanks Cheeky. Been a long time since I was a kid! ^^

Animation isn't just for children. And anyway, most children's animation is full of jokes aimed at their parents (and grandparents) and has been since, at least, the early 90s.

Well, that's another of the major American streamers finally launching here, with only Peacock and HBO Max left, although that will merge into Discovery+.

As I'm a Star Trek fan, no doubt this will be the only place to get my Trek fix once Amazon have lost the rights to the current shows.

The new Star Trek cartoon has just started on Nickelodeon I think.

ITV Audio Description Ch853

There is an information slate/audio loop on Ch 853 that tells you about the change and how to enable Audio Description on Ch103.

ITV AD is now gone. VM are clearly definitely closing all the separate Audio Description channels since this is another broadcaster.

3 down, 3 to go.

I'm guessing they are deliberately doing them 1 or 2 at a time so not to pull the rug all at once.

ITV Audio Description Ch853

There is an information slate/audio loop on Ch 853 that tells you about the change and how to enable Audio Description on Ch103.

I'll have to look into what's needed to support the satellite tuner in our Sony Bravia TV. At the moment we have a loft antenna to have Freeview as a reserve service to VM's V6 box. Some sort of dish is in order.

I'd imagine you just plug the satellite cable in, and select the specific Setup option in the Menu.

Freeview is the backup on our main TV, which has a V6 also. Freesat supplies a couple other TVs in the home.