Posts by Jennyanydots

Part Two

Amid this crisis, British social democracy looks, if not clueless, so completely divided that it is paralysed. A section of its old right wing, the pre-Blairite social conservatives who still hold about one sixth of the parliamentary seats, want a return to pre-1968 politics: immigration control, tough policing and expeditionary warfare across the world. The Blairites want a return to Tony Blair. Revelling in Starmer’s reversals, large numbers of supporters of Jeremy Corbyn—who resigned after the 2019 defeat—want a rerun of Corbynism. As for Starmer himself, because he has not built a mass base of his own, he is buffeted between the factions.

And yet there is a way forward. For all Labour’s bad headlines, the Conservatives' national vote share remains 36 percent. With Labour on 29 per cent and the Liberal Democrats boosted to 18 per cent by the ‘winnability’ factor in local and regional elections, this combined 43 per cent puts it entirely within the grasp of the opposition parties to defeat Johnson when he can no longer avoid calling an election.

Labour’s Plan A remains for Starmer to hoover up the votes of Greens and Lib Dems at a general election, bringing enough socially conservative workers back to Labour to unseat Johnson. If that doesn’t work (and it is unlikely that it will), Plan B—advocated by Norwich MP Clive Lewis and his supporters on the pro-Remain wing of Labour—is to seek a formal electoral alliance with the Greens and Lib Dems in England, which has the very real possibility of taking down the Tory government.

Political strategists on the centre / left haven't been getting this message - yet. But it looks like they are now. It is startling how few of them understand the seismic shifts that have occurred in British politics since 2016. They experience it all as a welter of confusing facts, inconveniently upsetting the world they were trained for.

In the days when Labour could ‘weigh’ rather than count its votes, there was no need for political theory, political science or even strategy. Few Labour politicians studied politics, or attended the British equivalent of the grandes écoles - studying philosophy, politics and economics at Oxford. Having failed to study even their own party’s history, many lack basic historical reference points, and look lost in the world of challenging political ideas, technological change, populism and rising hate speech.

French, Dutch and German politics knows only too well how that story ends. The fight to re-orient Labour to the point where Starmer’s strategy actually works is therefore a struggle for understanding.

The The Scottish National Party and the Scottish Greens showing the way, it seems that message is finally starting to penetrate the hierarchy of the Labour Party.

Alliances. They work.

HI GUYS....!! I bet you thought I'd gone away, eh..? Sorry to disappoint, OB, but I've just been busy with extended family issues and work. But hey....... I'm going to still be around to annoy you with inconvenient facts and irritating exposes. And guess what...?? I've been promoted..!! It seems I must be doing something right. Oh well.... busy, busy. A long day awaits. Have a read of the above and see how it sits with all of you in unicorns and rainbows land.

Cut and Paste from one of the EU Rejoin groups that I belong to. Copied with permission. Thank you, "Erimitus".

In Britain it seems that finally, the penny has dropped. With Labour’s disastrous defeat in the Hartlepool by-election, the loss of council seats in working-class areas—not just to the Conservatives but also to the Greens—and the increased majority in the Scottish Parliament for parties supporting independence, the post-Brexit landscape is becoming clearer all the time.

Values, rather than direct economic interest or historic allegiance, now define British voting patterns. The winners on May 6th, were parties whose vision matched the cultural values of a section of the electorate. They were the Scottish Nationalists, the Welsh Labour party, the Greens (who gained more than 80 council seats) and, above all, Boris Johnson’s tories.

Johnson has made greed, white victimhood, corruption and xenophobia not only respectable but grimly fashionable in the ex-industrial small towns of England. Fifteen thousand voters in Hartlepool, a working-class town, backed a Conservative candidate who demonstrated zero connection with their town. This was in the context of the Tories having overseen one of the worst death tolls in the world during the pandemic, and with Johnson’s administration mired deep in corruption allegations.

Labour, by contrast, could mobilise only 8,000 of those who had voted for it in the 2019 Westminster election. Despite the fact that Labour’s candidate was a local doctor, working on the front line of the epidemic, voters preferred the politics of corruption and elitism.

‘How can they back the Tories when a quarter of their own children live in poverty?’ was the lament of the one poster on Twitter. The answer is obvious to anyone who has their eyes open to what is happening. Conservative working-class voters despise the poor, just as they despise ‘students’, refugees and human rights (although when the time comes that THEIR human rights are taken away, they'll holler long and loud).

Their politics are now dictated by identity, not economic interest. They perceive themselves as in competition with migrant workers. They perceive their town as in competition with the big cities for what meagre growth can be generated in our damaged economy. And when they rail against ‘students’ it is because they now despise the thought of a world in which learning, tolerance and openness are valued more than narrow minded nationalism.

Above all, they have accepted neoliberalism—that because the wealth of the super-rich is untouchable and always growing, redistribution can only happen between sections of the working class. As home owning, older white people they have no desire to see social justice for younger, more educated, more cosmopolitan workers, who cannot dream of owning a home. Since there is now free money flowing from the Treasury and the Bank of England, in the form of pork-barrel political giveaways, they understand the easiest way to get a slice of the pie is to vote for Johnson.

They are by no means a majority, even in the towns where their votes are handing power to the Conservatives. But they don't need to be a majority. With Labour incapable of projecting a clear, unifying narrative of its own, the support base for progressive politics is subdued and disoriented. The voters Labour lost in Hartlepool between 2019 and 2021 did not mainly turn to the Conservatives—they just didn’t vote.

In London, on election day, voters turned out to do one thing: put Labour and the Greens into firm control of the Greater London Authority. Their votes delivered a local landslide for Labour’s incumbent mayoral candidate, Sadiq Khan, who went on citywide to re-election. More interestingly, around half of these Labour voters took the trouble to give their second preference to the Greens, allowing the Green Party to come second in the local race.

If these are the ‘new heartlands’ of Labour—big cities, university towns and places with large-ethnic minority or LGBT+ populations, then that support is fragile and conditional. Voters in London want a liveable city and a politics of tolerance and decarbonisation. Though their cultural values are diametrically opposed to the majority of voters in Hartlepool, these are equally rooted in their own milieu.

In their world, community and locality matter in a different way—the communities Londoners live in have to be created and re-created every day, amid a landscape of rapid and relentless change. There is little place for tradition, nostalgia or sentiment in their lives, because modern, urban survival tactics leave no space for them.

Labour’s task—as with all European social democracies and left parties—is to construct an election winning alliance from these two demographics: the small-town workers and the big-city salariat. Labour’s poor showing—not just in Hartlepool but in the loss of more than 200 council seats in similar areas of England—shows how badly it has failed in that task so far.

Much of the soul-searching will focus on Labour’s newish leader, Keir Starmer. It was his choice to delay work on any kind of policy platform, leaving the party’s candidates improvising variations without a theme during the campaign. It was his office which ran the campaign.

But the problems of progressive politics in Britain go much deeper. Brexit may be ‘over’ as far as the trade relationship with Europe is concerned (for now), but it is not over in terms of its impact on domestic politics. It is not over long-term either, but nothing can be done to reverse it until politics in Britain is fundamentally altered to prevent extremist parties holding sway indefinitely. We have a long road ahead of us.

The erection of a soft trade barrier dividing UK into two jurisdictions for trade has already triggered a revival of sectarian disturbances there. Police and security services there are eyeing the approach of summer with anxiety. It usually kicks off with sectarian rioting on 12 July as Protestants 'celebrate' Catholicisms defeat at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 and builds to a crescendo on 9 August when Catholics light bonfires to commemorate the introduction of internment without trial in 1971 - often leading to violence.

In Scotland, meanwhile, there is now a majority in the Holyrood parliament for a de facto coalition of the Scottish National Party and the Scottish Greens, both of which are committed to an independence referendum within two years. Johnson will refuse such a referendum but Nicola Sturgeon, the Scottish first minister, has threatened to legislate for it anyway, and take the fight to the Supreme Court in London.

There is a clear constitutional precedent for Scotland’s right to self determination:. If it comes down to the Scots staging a rebel referendum, in defiance of Westminster, it is likely that the United Kingdom will be no more.

So rather than solving the unresolved problems of Brexit, Johnson’s advance across small-town England exacerbates them. It leaves the rising generation of Scots, who the polls show are enthusiastic for independence, more determined than ever to have it. It leaves the core of the Welsh urban communities firmly under the hegemony of Labour, which due to its devolved powers was able to take full control of the pandemic response and benefited from that electorally. And it leaves Labour in England looking over both its shoulders—to the right, with the threat of further voter defections to the Tories, and to the left, towards the growing challenge from the Greens.

IT'S TIME FOR SOME BRITISH DIGNITAS

About three years or so ago, when I read that the 104 year old Botanist and Ecologist Dr David Goodall had decided to end his own life at the Dignitas Clinic in Switzerland I couldn’t help thinking that if I wanted to call it a day for whatever reason, I’d want to end it all quietly and painlessly.

If you become a member of Dignitas (and it isn’t difficult to do this), you could go there and, providing you fulfil all the legal requirements, end your own life by self poisoning. It sounds very easy and certain, but really.... must somebody travel all the way to Switzerland to do it? Think of all the fuss. Having to say goodbye to relatives before leaving, then travelling across half of Europe (or in Dr Goodall’s case, from Australia). Then comes all the counselling and form filling and proving that you’re compus mentis enough to make the decision. You would then have to sign the legal disclaimer before paying the agreed amount. This would have to be coughed up in Swiss Francs, or I imagine they might find small gold bars acceptable, because nobody does cheques anymore.

I remember my paternal grandmother’s vehement determination that “I aint going into no hospital or old people’s place. I’m staying right here in me own ‘ome.” I could see what she meant. If my last days of life come with the prospect of being wired up to monitors and plugged full of tubes, I’d want to stay at home too and to hell with it. At least I’d die in my own bed.

Grandma got her wish and she left the world peacefully in her sleep, surrounded by her family. She ceased upon the midnight with no pain, which was a far better way to go than weeping in loneliness in the middle of an understaffed NHS night shift, to be discovered in the morning, stiff and cold.

My grandma left this world among familiar things, and with the people who loved her. Grandma did it right.

But even a Dignitas clinic has its drawbacks. You drink the concoction they give you that first sends you into a warm, pleasant sleep, and then stops your heart. That’s alright for you, and your family have the comfort of knowing that you are no longer suffering. But after that’s over, it becomes much harder for your relatives. As you slowly slip away, they can hold your hand and perhaps allow themselves a tear or two, but afterwards they can only hang around, waiting to collect the death certificate before they head off on the long trip back to Heathrow, or Perth, or wherever.

What I would like, should I ever be in such a terrible situation that living on was unbearable, is my own domestic Dignitas, even if it is only a bottle of vodka and somebody who is willing to hold the pillow down firmly for as long as it takes. But even in the moral vacuum that Britain is turning into, that's unlikely to be an option.

It is possible to make an LPA, or Lasting Power of Attorney, nominating somebody, possibly my wife or daughter, to not only speak for me, but AS me, should I get to the stage where I stare vacantly into the distance and no longer recognise my own loved ones any more.

What is the most worrisome part of all this is Parliament, and much of the medical profession’s hesitancy to discuss the subject of assisted suicide. I understand the moral and ethical arguments, but for better or worse, doctors make life and death decisions on a daily basis. Which patient will get the life-saving organ and which one won’t? Who will be turned down for cancer treatment drugs because they live in the wrong postcode, or who will be refused life saving surgery simply because they smoke / are obese / take drugs and are therefore considered to only have themselves to blame. When doctors play God every working day of their lives, they can’t fall back on the Hippocratic Oath when it suits them.

There is no doubt that some elderly people may feel they have become a burden on their family and rather than having a wish to die, instead begin to think (or are subtly persuaded) that they have a duty to die. That sort of situation must, quite rightly, be guarded against.

How to make sure that cynical, inheritance-motivated relatives don’t exploit a vulnerable, sick or elderly relative would be the hardest part of any legislation, but the Swiss seem to have found a system of checks and controls that does the trick, and to the best of my knowledge this civilised, morally sound and overwhelmingly Roman Catholic country doesn’t seem to be suffering from any crisis of conscience over its decision to allow “death with dignity.” Surely such a system, with any adjustments necessary to fit our legal framework, could be made to work here, too.

Could I help any of my loved ones to die? I don’t think so. I couldn't be a party to the act itself, even though I see that there is a case for allowing this option. After all, just because I couldn't do it myself, doesn't mean I think it shouldn't be done at all. Rather, I would do anything I could to help them live, although if things were the other way round, I’d hope that somebody would finish me off. Am I selfish? Maybe I am, but doesn’t that just go to illustrate the terrible dilemma of it all…?

But none of that detracts from the need for a legal option to be available for those who are at the end of their tether and feel they would be able to make the final step. Such a choice is not available in this country and in my opinion it’s about time it was. People in Britain who truly and genuinely want to die for sound and explainable reasons should be allowed to do so in their own homes, or at the very least, in their own country.

Switzerland is too far from home to go to die.

I've noticed there is no discussion on this forum about the manner in which we elect our government, which I feel is strange because in my various meanderings around the wonderful world of t'internet, this is quite a hot potato.

Of course we need to do away with First Past The Post as a means of electing our government. It doesn't represent the majority, it only perpetuates a distorted and gerrymandered system which is increasingly being distorted even further still as we drift further and further to the extreme right in Britain. But that can be defeated and if the opposition parties have the nous, the will and the desire to see true change, they will gather in an electoral pact to turn their majority in the popular vote into a defeat for this wretched regime.

Having done this, there must then be the most radical overhaul of the electoral system this country has ever seen. First Past The Post MUST go and be replaced by Proportional Representation. I know this will be opposed on here by the usual suspects and I'm not even going to argue the case for it. Everybody knows that it is the only way to ensure a fair balance of power in relation to the votes cast.

But how to implement it..? Do we still need to keep shlepping to the polling station we could introduce an electronic system of voting known as "Direct Democracy". If you can trust your computer or mobile phone with your money via the online banking system, you can cast your vote at an election.

I've been sold this idea by one of our Rejoiner students - Thank you Flak Magnet - any issue could be proposed, debated and voted on inside, say, a three month period electronically under DD. More of this as the discussion develops.

A tiered electronic voting system for local, regional and national issues is very much do-able and the only real barrier to that now is the inertia of the political class who like expenses, being kowtowed to and appearing on TV.

Britain really could lead the world for once with a sensibly thought through, and technically sound, Direct Democracy and in fact it would be a hell of a lot closer to genuine democracy than the nonsense we see now of governments being voted in and immediately sticking two fingers up the electorate with their "See yez in five years" attitude.

The money saved in one year on the appallingly inefficient and corrupt secretariat we are burdened with as a small country would more than adequately pay for a system of Direct Democracy where everybody gets to debate and vote issue by issue.

Just fighting fire with fire, Jenny!

I'm glad you've stopped pretending and have tacitly admitted that you're snidey and patronising. I'm glad we've cleared that up.

I now feel so much better about not acquiescing to your peremptory demands for me to stop posting the truth about Brexit.

I understand that it's not me personally that you object to....... it's the truth in the messages that you don't like and seek to deter. We could actually get on if you were a more honest debater. There could at least be some headway made. I live in hope but feel I will probably get old and disappointed before that happens.

It's just more of the same rhetoric, Jenny. You keep repeating yourself, and whenever we answer, you do not respond on so many points. Ridiculously, you continue to spout on about empire even though very few people want that back, and to call Conservative voters 'fascists'. Quite absurd.

Clearly, you don't understand my 'ideology' at all and previous attempts to explain it are ignored.

The length of your posts and repeats of claims already disputed explain the lack of responses. Silence does not indicate agreement; nor does it indicate the lack of a contrary argument.

I don't want to understand your ideology. I want to see it eradicated from office.

Your ideology is a movement that masquerades as democracy but in reality is extremist and involves mostly elderly and middle aged white males of limited intelligence recruited to the far right by having been made to believe in their own victimhood by being fed cult assertions presented as fact. That's the ideology.

You come across more and more determined to silence me. To try to deter me from speaking. "Stop posting, Jenny"..... "Stop producing all these facts that I don't like." That is fascism, and yet you deny being a fascist. You deny being an extremist and yet you clearly espouse extremist policies. You call yourself democratic, and yet you deny that people who don't follow your ideology should be allowed access to the democratic process.

When challenged, you don't reply with any contra-argument, your sole response to all matters consists of telling me not to challenge your doctrine......... and in the most patronising way.

Do I ever tell you not to drone on about the future of digital TV channels...? Well, do I...? It's a matter of monumental disinterest to me, but do I ever attempt to tell you to shut up banging on about it....? No. I just leave you to get on with it.

And I'm the bad person here....?

Whatever action Joe Biden takes against North Korea will be that of a true global player, with the political, economic and military clout to back its words up on the world stage.

Unlike a declining, isolated, low-rated nonentity that we are becoming.

Let's leave the USA to get on with dealing with world issues and keep ourselves out of things that we're not in any position to do anything about.

Dear me! Clearly, you got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, Jenny!

There’s no humour deficiency in this house. There appears to be a lot of anger in yours.

Let’s disagree politely, shall we? Hope springs eternal...

Ahhh, so we're back to the snidey patronising attitude are we...? I knew it was too good to last.

In a way I'm glad. At least it's the true you and not the faux polite, reasonable debater you've been pretending to be so far since you were entrusted with a moderator's role.

Welcome back.

Lisa.jpg
    Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends

It's been another week of let down, exposures, governmental criminality leading to denial, deflection and disgrace. Welcome once more to Brexit Britain. But hey let's have a laugh at it because if we didn't laugh, we'd surely cry.

a-Brexit-3-2.jpg And you still are.....!!!!!

SUDDEN EPIPHANY OF THE WEEK Road-To-Damascus.jpg

Having had to endure another week of hearing just about everybody outside of my domestic bubble talking about Line of Duty and thinking to myself that I must be missing something, but then, having heard what it's actually about and thinking, "No, I'm not missing anything at all", I realised that Line of Duty takes place on an alternative Earth. Two things about it are a dead giveaway: Firstly, the events of the series are quite explicitly set in 2020 but there is no Covid pandemic. Secondly, while in Line of Duty World, while corruptiion in high places sometimes go unpunished, at least it is officially frowned upon and there are still laws against it. Unlike down here on our own Earth.... you know... the one we really inhabit where in Britain corruption, criminality and cronyism is given a cutesy rebrand along with the tacit approval of the Establishment and the support of its media cheerleaders. Unless, of course, the AC in AC12 stands for Anti-Chumocracy.

WE NEVER LEARN- OR DO WE...?

In the world of football, which, at the highest level, is sheltered from the realities of economic hardship suffered by those at the lowest strata of its society, by vast sums of television money, six of England's biggest businesses took the disastrous decision to leave a successful European project in order to go it alone in the mistaken belief that they would make a lot of money. Does that sound familiar...? It should. Only, on this occasion, they weren't supported by a compliant media and the bus remained firmly parked. Also, the only people who were listened to on this occasion were those who actually knew what they were talking about, and the opinions of idiots, liars, criminals, vested interests and sociopathic narcissists weren't allowed to gain any traction before the whole daft thing was exposed for the lunacy it was, and committed to the dustbin within three days.

a-football.md.jpg

OH DEAR, BORIS MOMENT OF THE WEEK, PART ONE Homer-1.jpg

Alarm bells rang and eyebrows were raised this week throughout the Conservative media sphere when it was reported that Billy Liar, AKA the Prime Minister, when called upon to impose further lockdowns last year replied that he would rather "Let the bodies pile up in their thousands". At least, that was the sentence quoted on the front page of a previously loyal tabloid newspaper, curiously, the one that employs Michael Gove's wife as a leading contributor. What is particularly odd about this incident is the Prime Minister's people's apparent reluctance to help him get out of it. Come on, fellas, earn your money. There are all sorts of ways of spinning this. F'rinstance "He was playing Dungeons and Dragons".......... "He was writing lyrics for his new Death Metal band." Because it's either one of those or our leader is a rampaging narcissist with absolutely no regard for human life. But who would think that..?

OH DEAR BORIS MOMENT OF THE WEEK, PART TWO a-dyson-small-version.jpg

The Prime Minister had already covered himself in yet more glory after it emerged that when Sir James Dyson, (the vacuum cleaner entrepreneur, Tory Party donor and leading Brexiter, not that it matters), complained to the PM in a private text that tax regulations were hampering his attempt to produce ventilators in the early days of the pandemic - an enterprise you will recall that resulted in the production of absolutely NO ventilators at all - Boris Johnson promised to "Fix It". Leaving aside the questionable ethics for a moment, the thought of a badly dressed man with a shock of white hair, curious vocal mannerisms and appalling sexual proclivities promising to "Fix it" for somebody doesn't exactly bring back happy memories.

THE TIM BRADFORD BIT

2-May-2021.md.jpg

BOLD NEW INTERNATIONAL TRADE INITIATIVE OF THE WEEK sunlit-uplands.jpg

Never let it be said that this government does nothing to encourage imports. This week, it was reported that David Quarrey, the PM's International Affairs Advisor and Deputy National Security Advisor personally imported a new and potentially more lethal variant of the Covid 19 Virus into the country from India while on official business. Indeed, it was because he was on government business that he was exempted from the usual quarantine and screening procedures upon arriving back in the country because as everybody knows, the virus respects a diplomatic passport. Yeh, right.

BORIS LEARNS TO READ (with recognition to the late Arthur C Clarke)

Boris-learns-to-read.md.jpg

SILLY POLITICAL PARTIES #4

The Dungeons, Death and Taxes Party (Great Britain)

The Dungeons, Death and Taxes Party had a hard enough time keeping its own name straight. While the way you see it here is how it's officially listed on the Register of Political Parties, the party's two candidates in 2005's United Kingdom General Election, Brent Harris of Edinburgh East and Damien Fleck from York, ran as members of the "Death, Dungeons and Taxes Party."

The party's name is as draconian as it sounds. The Dungeons, Death and Taxes Party's manifesto involves a pledge to invade and annex France, spike tax rates up to 90 percent, and reintroduce hanging, but only for minor offences such as "writing graffiti and dropping litter". Should they seize power, major offenses like murder and "those guilty of improper use of mobile phone text abbreviations" would be punished by public disembowelment.

TEETHING TROUBLES TO SOME (BREXITERS), FINANCIAL DISASTER TO OTHERS (BUSINESSMEN) fine.jpg

68-of-business-lost-since-brexit.md.png

NOBLE GESTURE OF THE WEEK spreader.jpg

Never let it be said that our government has failed to take its responsibilities during the pandemic seriously. Why, even as I write, they are offering themselves up as guinea pigs to see whether the Covid variant imported by David Quarrey can resist the vaccine. We will not forget their sacrifice.................

SPOOF LADYBIRD BOOKS #3

We're getting there....................

a-ladybird-book-post-Brexit-britain.jpg

AND FINALLY...............

My mate Lizzy Wizzy says:
    Lizzie-Wizzie.jpg

"We have no faith in our Prime Minister because he never fails to live up to our total lack of confidence in him. "

HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYBODY

a-william-shakespeare.md.jpg

I notice with interest, no response to my missive above. The detractors of any form of resistance to their favourite wet dream pretend they don't see the comments when they can't refute anything and they've already used up this weeks' allocation of denial. Not to worry. The truth is out there and it's getting its message across to people who will be around to do something about it in the fullness of time. Tick tock.

Here's some more irony that will completely baffle you. I know it's difficult for you to see beyond your rose tinted version of the black hole the country is descending into but I've started this little listing elsewhere so I'm going to reproduce it here too, just for you to totally miss.

...And clearly, humour isn’t your thing, eh, Jenny! :D

What would you know about humour...? My poor offerings may not be to your taste, but they make the a few people smile on other forums I post on. Look out for CPDK, which I'm about to cut and paste onto the appropriate page any minute now. But then, I doubt you will because it confronts you with undeniable facts in an irreverent way, a form of discourse you can only gnash your teeth at and pretend you haven't seen.

Keep smiling.

I tried vegetarianism as a teenager with my bestie at school. She came from a Hindu family and her parents were both strict veggies, but had been living in Britain long enough to have become liberal enough not to enforce it on their children.

Sahana and I decided we would go vegetarian for a month. It was a part experiment, part social conscience. And we stuck to it assiduously.

It was good actually. My enjoyment of food improved. I could taste it better. I felt healthier. All sorts of bodily functions (no details. Female things) seemed to go smoother and were less stressful. Between us we both agreed that vegetarianism was a good thing. I don't know if we ever said we would stick to it when the month was up, but I have to confess that as soon as the 30th day ticked over, we looked at each other and said "Cheeseburger".

I respect vegetarians and fully endorse what they say about all the health benefits, but I can't do it myself. I LIKE meat, fish and other animal products and can now exercise moderation. I must say though, that as I'm getting older, I'm getting more selective and find myself choosing the veggie option more often than before.

Humans are adapted to omnivorous consumption more by technical advancement rather than evolutionary process.

Humans have short, soft fingernails and small, dull canine teeth. all true carnivores have sharp claws and large canine teeth that are capable of tearing flesh without the help of tools (eg: knives and forks).

Real carnivores' jaws move only up and down, enabling them to tear chunks of flesh from their prey. Humans can move their jaws up and down AND from side to side, and we also have flat molars (which carnivores lack), allowing us to grind up fruit and vegetables with our back teeth as herbivores do.

(Quoting from hard copy publication now. Unable to find online). Dr Richard Leakey, a renowned anthropologist writes: "You can tear flesh by hand, but you can't tear hide by hand. Our anterior teeth are not suited for tearing flesh or hide. We don't........ have large canine teeth and we wouldn't have been able to deal with food sources that required those large canines."

Our digestive system doesn't like meat. Carnivores have short intestinal tracts that allow meat to pass quickly through their digestive system. Humans' intestinal tracts are much longer, like those of plant eaters. This gives the body more time to break down fibre and absorb the nutrients from plant based foods.

Raw meat may cause food poisoning in humans. True carnivores gulp down chunks of raw flesh, relying on strong stomach acids to break it down and kill the dangerous parasites and bacteria in meat that might otherwise sicken or kill them. Humans have much weaker stomach acids that are similar to those found in animals who digest pre-chewed fruits and vegetables. Without carnivorous stomach acids to kill the bacteria in raw meat, dining on uncooked animal flesh can give us food poisoning. The US Department of agriculture states that meat is a significant cause of foodborne illness. Every year in the USA alone, food poisoning sickens more than 48 million people and kills more than 3000. Because of this we must cook meat to make it easier to digest and destroy bacteria but there may be a link between cooking meat at high temperature and the development of colon cancer.

Meat can cause heart disease in humans. Carnivorous animals in the wild virtually never develop heart disease or suffer from strokes - ailments that humans can suffer an increased risk of developing due to consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol found in meat.

We may be getting too much protein. Humans get plenty of protein without paying special attention to what they eat. We're more likely to consume TOO MUCH protein, resulting in nutritional deficiencies or insufficient fibre. Eating too much protein may also increase the risk of developing heart disease and may worsen kidney function because the body can have trouble eliminating all the waste products of protein metabolism.

During our evolutionary history, we were largely vegetarian. Plant foods made up the bulk of our ancestors diet. The addition of modest amounts of meat to the early human diet came with the discovery of fire which, probably by trial and error, was found to lower the risk of being sickened or killed by parasites and bacteria in meat. This didn't turn our ancestors into carnivores but rather allowed humans to survive in areas and during periods in which plant foods were unavailable or scarce.

The invention of tools, and with it, weapons, enabled humans to hunt which overcame our physical deficiencies. Tools sutch as knives could cut meat into small amounts that would be easier to chew, swallow and digest.

Omnivorism is more of a cultural development than evolutionary process.

Ndrangheta mobsters used the City of London as its investment and money-laundering base

This trial has only just started in Italy, the largest trial of its kind in three decades and London has already been identified as a major area for Ndrangheta money laundering.

It's too early to tell yet how far this extends into British financial services, or who is involved or who knows what. The mafia operation has an annual turnover of around £45 billion. Revelations could get kinda squeaky for individuals as the facts emerge.

N'Drangheta statements about how they launder their £45 billion or so income per year from criminal activities such as drugs, prostitution and protection rackets may contain some wince-inducing indications of just how big a laundry London is. No inferences yet, but this will be worth keeping an eye on.

"Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely."

Godwin's law - Wikipedia

I just thought I would post this as I have frequented quite a few forums at different times and heard it mentioned and to a certain extent it has a ring of truth about it, because it does happen and even on this forum at times and quite frequently too. :D

The so-called "Godwin's Law" (misnomer. It isn't a law) is an attempt to deflect from the probability that the more a topic is discussed, the more likely it is that an accurate conclusion will be arrived at.

If you start off discussing an individual, and in the course of that discussion facts about that individual emerge that lead to a certain conclusion, then it should be no surprise that the conclusion is arrived at in the end.

Godwins Law is an old trope created for and used by people who want to deter anybody from arriving at that specific conclusion.

It doesn't mean that the conclusion isn't true.

The flat is a good distraction from other issues.

As for the bodies comment. We have all said things in the heat of the moment but the fact that it passed through his mind I find concerning. It's an insight into his mentality. I bet Hitler had the same thoughts.

it's part of his sociopathic behavioural pattern, Norra.

We all get frustrated at times. But we are not in positions of power. I can't authorise rules that will put the lives of people at risk. I don't have to make decisions that affect whether people live or die, but I can tell you this..... If it was up to me, I would take the decision to save as many lives as I could over party donors and multi-billionaire corporate bosses any day.

That is the simple, stark decision that has to be made. It's that simple.

And he said that he would let people die "in their thousands" rather than affect business again. No Labour or Liberal or other party leader would have considered such a choice. And I think the nation would have understood that and accepted the hardship that goes with it.

We are all fed up with lockdown, but we're alive, possibly (I have to say possibly because the negative can never be known) because we've had our movements and liberties temporarily curtailed. If Tim Martin has lost money, then I don't care.

Boris Johnson has exhibited many sociopathic characteristics. This and his narcissism, his propensity to lie through his teeth at every occasion as a matter of casual routine....... his inability to govern the country effectively and his dishonest, corrupt and even criminal behaviour makes him wholly unfit for the office that he holds.

And yet there are those who attempt to shrug all this off. "It's just Boris being Boris".......... the apologists who would condemn long and loud if these same things were done by a Prime Minister of any other party........ and those who callously and with a level of dismissive cruelty, mutter dismissals of the tragedy of the death toll the Tories have been culpable for. "People die every day". "There are too many people in Britain anyway". "We could do with reducing the population". As if Coronavirus has done us the favour of carrying out a human cull that was long overdue.

This issue of the flat is relevant to all these things because it has led to exposure of the incompetence, corruption and self-serving dishonesty of a man who is unfit for office and who, if the Tory Party had a shred of decency, would be hauled out of Downing Street and sent packing into obscurity and to await the judgement of history on his appalling time as Prime Minister.

It will ba a sad day all sports brocasting is via monthly subscription services, and nothing is shown via freeviw terrestrial services via a TV ariel, but I can see it happening.

Have you tried looking for any regulatory laws on this...?

Try these.............

Ofcom Code On Sports And Other Listed And Designated Events

Anti Siphoning Law

The Ofcom Code has been in place since the late 1990s. Simply put, there is a list of sporting and cultural events which are loosely known as "The Crown Jewels". These include the FA Cup Final, Open Golf Championship, Wimbledon Tennis, The Olympic Games and others. Cultural events such as The Trooping of the Colour, The Remembrance Service at the Cenotaph, The State Opening of Parliament, Coronations, State Funerals, The Henry Wood Promenade Concerts (even though the Flagshaggers are really only interested in the Last Night of the Proms) and other major national events.

These events must, by law, be available for everybody to access live on free to view channels.

Unless the Broadcasting Act 1996 and Ofcom Code are repealed, things will stay this way.

Here is a snip in case just to make things even easier for you. I've even highlighted relevant sections to make it EVEN EASIER...!!

I'm good to you lot.

1.1 The Broadcasting Act 1996, (the ‘Act’) as amended by the Television Broadcasting
    Regulations 2000 (the ‘Regulations’) and the Communications Act 2003, requires Ofcom to
    draw up, and from time to time review, a code giving guidance on certain matters relating to
    the televising of sports and other events of national interest which have been listed by the
    Secretary of State for Culture Media and Sport. This Code has been produced after
    consultation with broadcasters, sports bodies, the holders of sports rights and other
    interested parties, for the purpose of fulfilling this statutory duty, as defined under Section
    104 of the Act.
    The Code has been updated to incorporate the requirements of directive
    89/552/EC as amended by 97/36/EC and Statutory Instrument 2000 No. 54 (the ‘Audio
    Visual Media Services Directive’) and to reflect an amendment to section 101B of the Act
    made by the Television Broadcasting Regulations 2014 (SI 2014/1184).

1.2 The Act restricts the acquisition by television programme providers of exclusive rights
    to the whole or any part of live television coverage of listed events and the broadcasting on
    an exclusive basis of such coverage without the previous consent of Ofcom
    (see Part IV of
    the Act). Under the Act, Ofcom has powers to impose a financial penalty on its licensees if
    the restrictions on broadcasting live coverage of listed events have not been observed, if
    Ofcom has been given false information or if material information has been withheld. In the
    case of the BBC and S4C, Ofcom must report the matter to the Secretary of State. Ofcom
    will have regard to the provisions of the Code in exercising these powers.
    1.3 ‘Listed events’ are drawn up by the Secretary of State in accordance with the A

The essential thing to remember is that the decision on whether to lock down was a balance between health and the economy.

Only if you're a neoliberalist sociopathic-deathmongering psycho. who would let the dead pile up in their thousands rather than affect multi-billlionaires profits.

The economy comes a very distant second place to the economy when it becomes a matter of human life. Sure, take it into account, but if locking down saves lives, then lock down. End of.

I know you'll sneer and patronise at the mere mention of saving lives. Human life doesn't matter to some people.

Bloody hell.... we have to get rid of these Tory monsters once and for all. Get them out of office and then change the electoral system so they can never gain this level of power ever again.

We owe it to humanity.